Wiki Posts
Search

Help me find a new luggage travel system

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Help me find a new luggage travel system

I have a professional camera and an extra lens. Laptop. iPads. Chargers and dongles.

Clothes and toiletries and stuff. Supplements and so forth, often filling the rolling carry-on.

I use a Briggs & Riley rolling carrry-on and lately a big backpack (that I never put on my back).

The rolling carry-on is tiring (it’s the two wheeled kind). The backpack is awkward perched on the carry-on.

I used to use a Travelpro computer bag on the rolling carry-on but that isn’t big enough for my camera and computers and other stuff.

It’s awkward and I need a better system. Do you have suggestions? Money isn’t really an object within reason.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hate to sound like a mod but I think you will get better answers in the travel products forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:21 pm

4-wheel carryon (Rimowa?) + Timbuk2 messenger
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
I'm a huge fan of Pacsafe products, but my focus is more on security than convenience. Still, they're the best out there for keeping your stuff safe. I have a roll-aboard and mid-sized camera bag from them, both of which I swear by. I'm planning to get more as their stuff as replacements needs arise.

https://www.pacsafe.com/collections/...e-photography/
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hoyateach
I'm a huge fan of Pacsafe products, but my focus is more on security than convenience. Still, they're the best out there for keeping your stuff safe. I have a roll-aboard and mid-sized camera bag from them, both of which I swear by. I'm planning to get more as their stuff as replacements needs arise.

https://www.pacsafe.com/collections/...e-photography/
very cool. Maybe one of those bags and a Briggs and Riley carry on four wheel glider...put the bag on the roller. Hmmmm
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I use a four-wheeled carry-on - less wear and tear on the body and I can always tilt it and use just the two wheels if I'm someplace where that's easier. Then on top, I have a tote bag with a trolley sleeve, so it slips over the handle of the wheeled bag. Much more secure than an awkwardly perched backpack resting on top, especially if you have fragile items in there.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
The B&R 4 wheeled bag is a good option for the roller. For the carry on also check Red Oxx, one of their bags is padded for cameras or Timbuk2 or Waterfield Designs. The latter has a new backpack called a tech backpack I think that might work. All of my Waterfield design stuff is stupidly over-engineered, designed and built. Made in the US as well if that matters. They also have great customer service (as does Red Oxx).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:52 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
For my daily travel its a BR international four wheeler, a tumi for laptop ( 2x ), chargers, misc stuff. Works for weekly business travel, can even managed two weeks with a little onsite handwash.

Bringing a pro Full-frame body would be a challenge especially with any 2.8 lens if more than one, that usually goes into a separate camera backpack LowePro with respect charger etc ( me D5/D810 with 24-70 and 70-200, Nikon 1 and 6.7-10). I've decided to just go iPhone these days, but have lost a few better photo ops, but hey got the smartphone picture, LOL For camera bags that is even more a wide variety of bags driven by gear, what lens carried and personal style of carry/style. Then main stream lowePro and limited offerings have spawned a host of new bags, too many, need to go to a brick mortar place with your gear and really try them. Becomes as personal as pants/shirts, buy costco generic and be disappointed or easily satisfied ( me ) or go do the leg work for what works with you https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/B...6/N/4075788794 OMG that is a lot of bags to consider
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I'd check out the Peak Designs 30L Everyday for your tech backpack (or maybe the travel bag if you have a lot of tech) and a TravelPro 4 wheeled spinner bag.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Perhaps the first thing to establish are the rules for acceptable carry-on baggage sizes for the airlines, destinations, and booking classes that you use most often. Additional information that is good to have includes how picky they are about enforcing their rules. That is crucial when every item and bag that you are bringing is on the limits of both volume and weight restrictions, especially when each of your bags is likely to be carrying something that you absolutely do not want to entrust to anybody else.

Every different type of bag comes with its own set of compromises. I also have a B&R 2-wheeled carryon that holds my Tom Bihn Cadet laptop bag (carrying my laptop and other electronic paraphanalia) threaded over the handle and fits wheels-in on 737s, 320s, and larger aircraft and sideways in Embraer 190s that are typical *A fare here in Europe. Volume-wise it keeps me within the official rules, but adding a full-frame DSLR with normal and telephoto zooms to the rest of what I need for sustainable travel puts me over the weight limit if I include enough clothing to be sustainable for a week or more (summertime). My wife has a very light Samsonite spinner that is just a tad smaller, but only about half the weight of the B&R. I am not aware of a better combination of weight and external volume for a spinner bag. If we need more internal volume and less weight, we go with the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45, but that means that everything needs to be carried instead of rolled.

If I could count on being able to bring 2 full-sized carry-on bags with one being a spinner and the other being able to be carried in a stable manner on the spinner bag I would probably go with a B&R spinner for clothing and personal items with the Peak Design Travel backpack for all of the camera and tech stuff. The B&R spinner will be more relaxing to move on smooth, level surfaces than what you have now, and the Peak Design pack should thread nicely over the handle and be held in a more stable manner than your current setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.