Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

International vs US Domestic Carryon Size

Old Aug 1, 19, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I am in the market for a new carryon. I am considering Briggs and Riley Domestic (22"x14"x9") and International (21"x15"x9") two wheel and 4 wheel models.

The US and International models are similar in size, but my preference is the International size. I will be doing some International travel but will primarily be using it for US travel.

Putting the gate agents aside, it seems to me that the International model, which is an inch wider but an inch shorter, should fit into any overhead bin that the US model fits into.

Here comes my specific question. Does anyone know if the B+R International carryon will fit like a book (i.e. on its side) in a US plane equipped with a Boeing swing overhead bin? I am concerned that the extra inch of width may cause it not fit.
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:15 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I carry the 22" on international airlines all the time. I have put the 22" in the overhead bin like a book as you say with no problems. I have only done this once.
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you for responding, but I was wondering if the B+R International carryon fits like a book on US domestic flights
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:10 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Jb20 View Post
I am in the market for a new carryon. I am considering Briggs and Riley Domestic (22"x14"x9") and International (21"x15"x9") two wheel and 4 wheel models.

The US and International models are similar in size, but my preference is the International size. I will be doing some International travel but will primarily be using it for US travel.

Putting the gate agents aside, it seems to me that the International model, which is an inch wider but an inch shorter, should fit into any overhead bin that the US model fits into.

Here comes my specific question. Does anyone know if the B+R International carryon will fit like a book (i.e. on its side) in a US plane equipped with a Boeing swing overhead bin? I am concerned that the extra inch of width may cause it not fit.
I've have the international, when choosing like you I carefully considered both the domestic and international, but came to the conclusion that the international aspect ratio was simply a better fit for how and what I packed. For a couple years it was excellent for too many international / domestic flights for three years. Never once did I have a problem on UA/BR/HU/MU/CA/DL/AC for international, nor domestic with AS, WN, AA, UA, DL. The only thing is to watch packing too full for the smallest planes where the thickness can't be squeezed into the bin length wise. I have never had a problem in larger planes; 737, 747, 757, 767, 787, 319, 320/321, 330, 350.

Now I mostly fly domestic and barring a GA on powertrip never had a problem bringing the international any domestic, even the smaller regional jets.

Thank you for responding, but I was wondering if the B+R International carryon fits like a book on US domestic flights
I have had no problem putting it book like that they request on the newer deeper overheads.
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply. I agree the International seems to have a better aspect ratio and a lower center of gravity.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the two wheeler or the spinner?
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:05 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Thank you so much for your reply. I agree the International seems to have a better aspect ratio and a lower center of gravity.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the two wheeler or the spinner?
Spinner, I really considered the two wheel design, if memory served me right it had a tad more room. The world has gone to spinners and that design, at least the BR, looses a precious few mm' of length and volume ( a few socks/underwear for me )

The spinner has served me well, no regrets. I am always also pulling a large Tumi backpack that is loaded ( two laptops, chargers, misc stuff ). I've played with lugging like a two wheeler and though I'm pretty fit / strong, really appreciate the fact I am not lugging it on two wheels. The 4 wheel spinner though isn't very stable, if you end up trying to stand it with wheels turned in it is very topple sensitive and I've seen it / or caught it from toppling too many times.
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I have the Tumi International model with 2 wheels and also BR Domestic model. I like the Tumi international but I have found that sometimes I cannot pull it down the aisle due to the width. It's very awkward to have to carry it down the aisle for me. So if you are in economy mostly, I'd look at a four wheel international model.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: