Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Watches for Travel...?

Watches for Travel...?

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Watches for Travel...?

What is your favorite or favorites "MECHANICAL WATCHES" for travel...?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Rolex Daytona Solid Rosegold & Chocolate Dial

Here I will start out with one of my many favorites for travel through out the world..

Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Surely there is many others using a mechanical watch while traveling....? I always tend to glance and see what others are wearing as thats just part of a watch persons MO..
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Quartz watches are superior travel watches. If I do wear a mechanical it is the cheapest one I have (Bulova GMT) so it's not a hood-rat magnet or prompts questions from customs when returning home.
der_saeufer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Surely there is many others using a mechanical watch while traveling....?
Yes, there are.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:17 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Here I will start out with one of my many favorites for travel through out the world..

You shoot Canon or Nikon or Rolex BTW nothing beats 200F2 on a D5 for ballet if you have unrestricted stage access during full dress rehearsal, love that!

Now to watches, I'm a rather crazy guy, got two watches, three camera bodies but only one brand/

For better/worse of the all to common Rolex Datejust, wanted the wanted the two tone Submariner but the SO wanted to do matching, so I broke down compromised a few decades ago to a model that had matching mens/ladies. Haven't taken it off except for a couple weeks for a full refurbishment after 15 years, still going strong. Now wear a second watch, a iWatch4 on the other hand.

Some people ask me "you got two watchs? " I tell them one is just a nostalgic jewelry, the other the real functional piece
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:46 pm

Casio F-91W is the only answer to this question. Mechanical or not, what other watch can you get for $10 that'll get you that much attention from customs officers and intelligence agencies and that little attention from thieves?

In all seriousness, my favorite travel watch until I gave it away was a Casio MDV106 "Marlin". Definitely the nicest-looking watch you'll ever see for $40.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipmaster
You shoot Canon or Nikon or Rolex BTW nothing beats 200F2 on a D5 for ballet if you have unrestricted stage access during full dress rehearsal, love that!

Now to watches, I'm a rather crazy guy, got two watches, three camera bodies but only one brand/

For better/worse of the all to common Rolex Datejust, wanted the wanted the two tone Submariner but the SO wanted to do matching, so I broke down compromised a few decades ago to a model that had matching mens/ladies. Haven't taken it off except for a couple weeks for a full refurbishment after 15 years, still going strong. Now wear a second watch, a iWatch4 on the other hand.

Some people ask me "you got two watchs? " I tell them one is just a nostalgic jewelry, the other the real functional piece
Yes I have WAY @ MANY Cameras and lenses like watches.. I have a Leica M10 Leica SL(601) Hasselblad X1D , Nikon D5 (2 of them) Canon 1ds, and 5D..
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Casio F-91W is the only answer to this question. Mechanical or not, what other watch can you get for $10 that'll get you that much attention from customs officers and intelligence agencies and that little attention from thieves?

In all seriousness, my favorite travel watch until I gave it away was a Casio MDV106 "Marlin". Definitely the nicest-looking watch you'll ever see for $40.
I was asking only about hand wound and automatic "MECHANICAL" Watches. If one is only looking for the correct time, my apple iPhone does that. There is just something about wearing a mechanical wrist watch to me..
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I was asking only about hand wound and automatic "MECHANICAL" Watches. If one is only looking for the correct time, my apple iPhone does that. There is just something about wearing a mechanical wrist watch to me..
I own mechanical watches but do not ascribe any mystical qualities to them. Mechanical watches are less durable, less accurate and more expensive than their quartz counterparts. If you are going to have a dedicated travel watch quartz is the better option.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I own mechanical watches but do not ascribe any mystical qualities to them. Mechanical watches are less durable, less accurate and more expensive than their quartz counterparts. If you are going to have a dedicated travel watch quartz is the better option.
I'll bite.
I love my Jaeger lecoultre Master Geographic.
Twin time zones and dead easy to set. Generally keep the main face on home time, and consult the small face for local time.

Easier to attach a stock photo than upload my own effort
Attached Images  
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmouse
I'll bite.
I love my Jaeger lecoultre Master Geographic.
Twin time zones and dead easy to set. Generally keep the main face on home time, and consult the small face for local time.

Easier to attach a stock photo than upload my own effort
Yes this is what I wanted to see.. Is it Platinum, White Gold or Stainless.. I still do not own a JL but will someday...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Alas only stainless steel.
I still regret not putting the extra for Rose Gold.
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Daytona in Solid Rose Gold & Chocolate Dial

ironmouse likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have one of these 24h GMT (dual time) watches for overseas travel. Quartz movement, durable, only $98 from Amazon (may be bought direct from Tauchmeister Germany, if you're anti-Amazon, fsr)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.