Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What brand and what type of wallet do you use?

Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

I have a Smythson wallet with 8 credit slots and it has a divider for banknotes. It's a traditional wallet from Smythson's Grosvenor collection which they don't offer anymore. I've only had it for about 5 months and the leather has split in one of the credit card slots! I thought Smythson was a top brand selling high quality leather goods, or was that in the past? I'm now on the hunt for another wallet. Any recommendations?

I've tried quite a few styles of wallets and I'm open to new types other than the traditional bi-fold wallet. It just needs to hold 10 cards. Or maybe I should re-think carrying so many cards around on a daily basis.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I use a Tumi Global Center Flip. Lots of slots.

https://ca.tumi.com/p/tumi-id-lock-g...32DID/?cs=true

They also have an all leather version.

https://ca.tumi.com/p/tumi-id-lock-g...case-0186132D/
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I use a Tumi Global Center Flip. Lots of slots.

https://ca.tumi.com/p/tumi-id-lock-g...32DID/?cs=true

They also have an all leather version.

https://ca.tumi.com/p/tumi-id-lock-g...case-0186132D/
Yeah, lots of slots plus decent price. Will have to check out those wallets. There's a TUMI Store in my area, but not easy to get to.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Porsche Design ones.. because leather quality (backpocket "user"..). There are many different kinds/styles.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I really like Tumi's "Slim Single Billfold" in ballistic nylon for everyday use. It's compact and durable and the pockets keep the cards in place.

When traveling, I pair it with the "Global Double Billfold" which is good for the countries with larger bills. I keep one wallet in my pocket with the relevant CCs/cards for wherever I'm traveling and the other in my bag, and swap the CCs/cards/bills whenever necessary.

Both these are frequently on sale on the Tumi website.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:19 am

Keep it simple and practical

I use a LewisClark cloth bifold with a zipper. Why? it is very durable, yet very thin and lightweight (minimum bulk). It has a zipper to secure the contents. It has two belt loops on the short end to secure it inside pants below the belt (if desired), one brown, one black, I wear a black belt, so I cut off the brown one. It is cheap and available at Amazon. Have used these for years. Would not switch to anything else. Washable!

My motto: keep it simple, keep it practical, focus on function, not aesthetics. After all, it's just a wallet in a pocket, not a wedding suit.

Last edited by seaotter99; Aug 2, 2019 at 6:23 am Reason: adding more info
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I carry a Waterfield Design Finn wallet in the compact design. It holds a lot with a zipper around it which I’ve grown to like.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seaotter99
I use a LewisClark cloth bifold with a zipper. Why? it is very durable, yet very thin and lightweight (minimum bulk). It has a zipper to secure the contents. It has two belt loops on the short end to secure it inside pants below the belt (if desired), one brown, one black, I wear a black belt, so I cut off the brown one. It is cheap and available at Amazon. Have used these for years. Would not switch to anything else. Washable!

My motto: keep it simple, keep it practical, focus on function, not aesthetics. After all, it's just a wallet in a pocket, not a wedding suit.
You mean Lewis N. Clark Money Belt Travel Pouch, Black for only $11?!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I carry a Waterfield Design Finn wallet in the compact design. It holds a lot with a zipper around it which Ive grown to like.
This is nice too for under $100. The sizes that intrigue me are the classic and the compact.

I'd use the Lewis N. Clark to hold passport, some cash, and some cards inside pants while traveling, using the belt loop. But for everyday access the Waterfield Finn looks easier to use since it's more rigid to hold with a wide opening. I only carrying cash as a "just in case" anyway.

Thanks so much for the non-traditional wallet ideas! Any other wallet ideas? :-)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Magna
This is nice too for under $100. The sizes that intrigue me are the classic and the compact.

I'd use the Lewis N. Clark to hold passport, some cash, and some cards inside pants while traveling, using the belt loop. But for everyday access the Waterfield Finn looks easier to use since it's more rigid to hold with a wide opening. I only carrying cash as a "just in case" anyway.

Thanks so much for the non-traditional wallet ideas! Any other wallet ideas? :-)
Those are fairly new designs on their web page They just did a redesign. Mine is the previous generation and I may update. I have a bunch of their products bought over many years and find their quality and customer service to be outstanding. You can search for them in this forum and find other product related posts.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:00 am

Talking The Best

I use Armani Brand
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:44 am

I carry a Teranishi wallet. Minimalist leather bi-fold. I'd post a link, but my post count isn't high enough.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:12 pm

This is my favorite:

https://www.all-ett.com/collections/...riginal-wallet

Super slim and lightweight.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I use a Prada card holder. Good for about 6 pieces of various types of plastic C/C and ID. Cash goes in the pocket.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:58 pm
Suspended

I have been using the Ridge Wallet for the last 2 years. Love it. Super easy and fits a whole bunch of cards. LINK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.