Best Travel Insurance with Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

I've previously bought Seven Corners (and fortunately never had to use them). Now I see they have some terrible reviews on Yelp. Any opinions on good travel medical insurance with a waiver of pre-existing conditions?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I've previously bought Seven Corners (and fortunately never had to use them). Now I see they have some terrible reviews on Yelp. Any opinions on good travel medical insurance with a waiver of pre-existing conditions?
There is a lot of discussion about this in the Travel Insurance section of CruiseCritic :

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...vel-insurance/

Also, we've had very good experiences with a broker, www.TripInsuranceStore.com
(No extra charge for going through them.)

They work with several vetted insurers (meaning there aren't typically problems with actual claims).
Importantly, if you CALL them, they are great to get information that is specific to your precise needs, including pre-existing conditions.

We've have excellent claims payments with the policies we purchased through TIS, from Travel Insured.
As long as one starts the coverage within the deadline of FIRST payment (e.g., of just the deposit) - this can be 10-20 days, depending upon policy and state of residence - then there are NO exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
If one "misses" that deadline, there is at least one other insurer that will have that type of policy, if one purchases the policy no later than within 24 hours of the FINAL payment (defined narrowly, for obvious reasons). We had to get this policy once, but didn't need to use it, so we can't comment on the claims process.

But check with TIS, and they can help you sort through appropriate choices.

GC
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Most of the language I have seen seems to allow per-existing as long as it is 'under control'. (Essentially all have this waiver.) They have a list of stuff that they use to define this concept.

It can be VERY tricky. If you do have any long term medical conditions- ANY- do not let your doctor change ANYTHING during the 'look back' period for the policy.

Are you looking for insurance for the trip, or for medical during the trip? .
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

To be very specific, I am looking for insurance that would cover me if I got sick while in Europe.

Also, ideally, I would want the insurance company to a) be primary; and c) pay the hospital directly (not promise to reimburse me).
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be very specific, I am looking for insurance that would cover me if I got sick while in Europe.

Also, ideally, I would want the insurance company to a) be primary; and c) pay the hospital directly (not promise to reimburse me).
Your largest problem will be finding coverage which pays the hospital (and presumably other providers) directly. That is an unusual concept in most countries and medical billing is far from standardized worldwide.

In most places, you are on the hook to the provider and you recover what you can from your insurer. The provider does not get involved at all.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Most of the language I have seen seems to allow per-existing as long as it is 'under control'. (Essentially all have this waiver.) They have a list of stuff that they use to define this concept.

It can be VERY tricky. If you do have any long term medical conditions- ANY- do not let your doctor change ANYTHING during the 'look back' period for the policy.

If one gets a policy that does not exclude pre-existing conditions (these are relatively easy to get), then it won't matter if you have any of those "changes" to your health status or to your treatment/care.
Most of those types of policies (in the USA, anyway) require that one starts the coverage within approximately 10-21 days of making the *first* payment, such as a deposit. The exact timing depends upon the policy, the insurer, and the state.
If one "misses" that deadline, there is at least one policy that will not exclude pre-existing conditions if the policy is started no later than within 24 hours of *final* payment (defined narrowly).

Did you contact TripInsuranceStore.com or some other insurance broker? Helping people to find the "best fit" policy (with specific needs such as you listed) is "what they do".

None of us can "fit" a policy to your needs, as we don't know enough about you or your needs (plus we aren't licensed to sell insurance ).

And per Often1's comment, yes, most policies will reimburse, but there are some insurers that will send money or guarantee payment if it is required for your care.
(But you should always have good available credit left on your card for true immediate/emergency care.)
There are also a few insurers who have networks of providers worldwide, but whether you'd be near one is a question I'd have, depending upon whare you travel.

MedJetAssist will medevac you at your request (no additional charge to the policy premium) IF you are already admitted as an inpatient (not ER, not Observation, etc.).

GC
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
If one gets a policy that does not exclude pre-existing conditions (these are relatively easy to get), then it won't matter if you have any of those "changes" to your health status or to your treatment/care.
Most of those types of policies (in the USA, anyway) require that one starts the coverage within approximately 10-21 days of making the *first* payment, such as a deposit. The exact timing depends upon the policy, the insurer, and the state.
If one "misses" that deadline, there is at least one policy that will not exclude pre-existing conditions if the policy is started no later than within 24 hours of *final* payment (defined narrowly).

Did you contact TripInsuranceStore.com or some other insurance broker? Helping people to find the "best fit" policy (with specific needs such as you listed) is "what they do".

None of us can "fit" a policy to your needs, as we don't know enough about you or your needs (plus we aren't licensed to sell insurance ).

And per Often1's comment, yes, most policies will reimburse, but there are some insurers that will send money or guarantee payment if it is required for your care.
(But you should always have good available credit left on your card for true immediate/emergency care.)
There are also a few insurers who have networks of providers worldwide, but whether you'd be near one is a question I'd have, depending upon whare you travel.

MedJetAssist will medevac you at your request (no additional charge to the policy premium) IF you are already admitted as an inpatient (not ER, not Observation, etc.).

GC
I contacted Aardvark and they told me that Seven Corners is one of the few companies that will guaranty your hospital bill so you don't have to pay up front. With the other policies, it seems like you might need to be able to cover a six figure (dollars or Euros) bill up front and then ask for reimbursement. Do you know of any others?

I'm no longer worried about the pre-existing conditions issue. It seems there are many carriers that will waive it if you buy the policy within 14 days of the ticket purchase.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by jinglebells88
My favorite travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions is MSIG TravelEasy Pre-Ex.

We always buy this from Shenton Brokers when traveling with my grandma.

Shenton Brokers has 35% discount for this policy. If buy direct from MSIG, got no discount.
What country are you in?
Travel insurance can be *very* different from country to country. (And in the USA, there can be smaller differences within the ostensibly same policy from one state to another in some cases.)

GC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.