Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

TravelPro Crew Expert

TravelPro Crew Expert

Old Jul 21, 19, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
TravelPro Crew Expert

Has anyone purchased this new line? https://travelpro.com/collections/crew™-expert™

I have a TP Magna 2 currently which I have never been completely fond of (don't care how it only expands on the bottom). It seems though the two sizes of the Crew bag straddle the size of my current bag. The safe bet would be to downsize for carry-on purposes, but curious what folks feel if they have handled it in person.
Old Oct 16, 19, 4:07 am

Programs: United, American
I recently purchases the smaller version (Global) and its a very well constructed bag, but in strickly meeting those carry-on specs it is a bit of a small bag. However I got a great deal on the bag and will give it a go. Also bought a new personal item backpack to go with the new carry-on.
Old Oct 16, 19, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a consumer version of their FlightCrew bags--the stuff they used to only sell to airline crews. Good but heavy.
Old Oct 17, 19, 9:48 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Very similar in size to this Crew 11 bag which I have and like very much. Getting closed out on Amazon for about $100 less. My recollection from when I bought the bag about a year ago is that it weighs about 7lbs which is significantly lighter. Actually thinking of picking up a 2nd one at the close out price since my wife keeps borrowing mine when she can!

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:29 am

The different lines sometimes get confusing to me Crew 11, Crew 5 (airline staff), Platinum, magna, crew versapack, etc.

The smaller Global Crew Expert is on deep discount on Amazon right now - very much below other outlets. At this smaller size - the extra weight does not bother a guy like me but I could see it being an issue for some. I wanted the "tank like" heavier construction - this should last a long time. If for some reason is does not it did not break the bank on cost.

Last edited by Tesla1856; Oct 18, 19 at 4:35 am
Old Oct 18, 19, 12:06 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
The different lines sometimes get confusing to me Crew 11, Crew 5 (airline staff), Platinum, magna, crew versapack, etc.

I wanted the "tank like" heavier construction - this should last a long time. If for some reason is does not it did not break the bank on cost.
It should be as close to bulletproof as anything, except perhaps B&R, and this is half the price if you don't need the compression. Does it genuinely measure less than 22" with wheels and handle?
Old Oct 18, 19, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by BLG View Post
It should be as close to bulletproof as anything, except perhaps B&R, and this is half the price if you don't need the compression. Does it genuinely measure less than 22" with wheels and handle?

At $165 "ish" on Amazon its a steal.

I had a briefcase from B&R a long time ago loved the quality. However I dont think the compression "click" mechanism on the B&R will last as long as the bag. I know they will replace it if it breaks.

Yes the Travel Crew expert global measures 21.5" from floor to top of handle. Honestly they should have pushed it right to 22. Its not like the height changes when its over stuffed.

I have not been bin tested with my 15 year old Tumi in the last few years - it is 2 inches over the width. I wonder how many people domestically are really being bin tested. In any case this TP Crew Expert Global bag will comply and should last.

Last edited by Tesla1856; Oct 18, 19 at 3:03 pm
Old Oct 18, 19, 3:13 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
At $165 "ish" on Amazon its a steal.
That is a good deal. Basically same as the Crew 11 I posted. So I got curious and called TP and talked with someone in customer support. She told me that they are very similar, no real difference in construction. For whatever reason the Expert is 7.2 pounds and the Crew 11 is 7.5 pounds. And the Expert is a tiny bit bigger. The warranties are the same. So for the same price I guess there would be no reason not to go for the Expert. She said the differences were essentially cosmetic.
Tesla1856 likes this.

Last edited by BLG; Oct 18, 19 at 3:30 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: