FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   How To Keep Medicine Cold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1977861-how-keep-medicine-cold.html)

Hisgirl Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm

How To Keep Medicine Cold

We have a VERY long flight coming up (24 hours) and need to keep a medicine cold. It cannot come to room temperature at all. Can someone please recommend what we can purchase to do this? Thank you so much! (I know insulin can get to room temp and this is not insulin btw)

obscure2k Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm

I believe the Travel Products Forum would be beneficial. Please follow this thread in Travel Products.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Hoyaheel Jul 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Ice packs and a medical grade cooler should do the trick. We have a couple medical grade coolers that keep ice frozen 4 days....

TGarza Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Amazon has a number of options with some ratings up to 36 hours. I am sure specialty medical suppliers have similar options.

Herrick Jul 12, 2019 3:48 pm

My hydroflask keeps ice solid in high temps for at least two days. Not sure how price compares to the medical grade coolers referenced above.

Hoyaheel Jul 13, 2019 5:18 am

[My husband added that any "elite" cooler eg Yeti but that is not the only brand should be able to handle this as well, doesn't have to be specifically "medical". Not sure what the size options are - and they will be thick & heavy because they have thick insulation. My husband and FIL have cooler obsessions so our basements are sort of full of various options ;-) ]

Often1 Jul 13, 2019 5:51 am

Be careful with the specifics of your question. What do you mean by "cold?" What specific temperature parameters? There are many medications which must be kept below a certain temperature, but may also not be frozen and thus may not be inserted into certain types of packs.

There are great options for all of these, but it is critical for you to post the exact parameters you seek. Also, bear in mind that if you have a 24-hour series of scheduled flights, you are really looking for cooling for at least 48 hours to account for disruptions.

Hoyaheel Jul 13, 2019 7:42 am

Great points from @Often1. Would like to point out (depending on specifics of your journey) it could be possible to add ice (from restaurants in airports) during your trip if needed. Ice is problematic getting through security (frozen ice packs have been deemed acceptable) but once you're airside, adding ice from time to time can be done.

TGarza Jul 13, 2019 3:42 pm

I have an RTIC 8 soft pack which is bulky and heavy for the size but will keep ice for several days. Even my RTIC day cooler (zipper is not waterproof) will keep ice for a day which should be easy to replenish at most restaurants. Some of the specific medical specific carriers on Amazon are much smaller than any RTIC or Yeti type product. The extend day/hour ratings for the bags is based on a precooled bag usually in the freezer.

How big is the medicine packaging for the trip.

dajdavies Jul 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Suspect what you’re looking for is something like a Frio Bag (https://friouk.com/)

You soak it in water for 30 mins and it'll keep stuff cool for 24+ hours, my wife has one for her medication, lots more info on the site

Ericontour Jul 24, 2019 2:02 am

Good thread! In here for good advices :D

466SHH Jul 25, 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31299061)
Be careful with the specifics of your question. What do you mean by "cold?" What specific temperature parameters? There are many medications which must be kept below a certain temperature, but may also not be frozen and thus may not be inserted into certain types of packs.

There are great options for all of these, but it is critical for you to post the exact parameters you seek. Also, bear in mind that if you have a 24-hour series of scheduled flights, you are really looking for cooling for at least 48 hours to account for disruptions.

Originally Posted by dajdavies (Post 31327167)
Suspect what you’re looking for is something like a Frio Bag (https://friouk.com/)

You soak it in water for 30 mins and it'll keep stuff cool for 24+ hours, my wife has one for her medication, lots more info on the site

I have used a Frio bag successfully for a medicine that needs to stay between 36 and 86 degrees F. I can recommend it for that temperature range. Works well, and if you get delayed, you just get it wet again.

But you need to know the exact temperature range of your medicine. For example, mine cannot be frozen, so some of the cooler suggestions might be too cold.

Can you share the temperature range range or the medicine name so that we can help you further?

Often1 Jul 25, 2019 10:06 am

OP never returned with the key information. Name of the medication and what the package insert advises for temperature range. Many of the suggestions here might work, but nobody can say without reference to the ranges required. Some meds are more sensitive than others.

Bottom line advice to anyone is to start with the temperature parameters in the package insert.