Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Looking for a lightweight garment carrier that I can hang up in the closet

Old Jul 6, 19, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat

I'm looking for a lightweight garment carrier that:
  1. Is long enough for 44L suits. I bought the Away Signature Garment Bag. Although it was elegantly designed and met my other criteria (see below), It was a few inches too short for the suit. Seems like a modest design flaw for a garment bag and indeed, I now see that the produce is no longer for sale. Away Travel accepted the return with no problem.
  2. Is lightweight. I don't need lots of pockets as I will take this along with my rolling bag (now the new Away Travel Bigger Carryon with Pocket). I just need a suit or two and a shirt or two to arrive unwrinkled.
  3. Can be hung up in the airline. I'm typically flying J or F internationally and they are happy to hang things (some connecting flights within Europe or the JetBlue flights I take to the West Coast don't have closets). It can either be hung because of an external hook (the bag I returned had this) or because the hangers from the suits/shirts poke through and can be used to hang it.
  4. Has handles that enable me to attach it to the handle of my rolling bag so that all I have to do is guide the rolling bag. I've seen a number like the Tumi Alpha 3 (https://www.tumi.com/p/garment-cover-01171471041/) and the Hartman (https://www.ebags.com/product/hartma...uctid=10716105) that don't really seem to have a good way to attach to the handle. Those that have two nylon handles and a velcro thing to attach them together should work. The Away Travel product had that.
I'm currently using an old tri-fold suiter that was inside an old rolling bag of mine (TravelPro). It isn't waterproof. I can attach the hangers to my rolling cart arms near the top, but that isn't great and it sometimes falls off. And, it is not elegant looking. I'm a very high-priced consultant and I would like to have something that looks elegant. [I'm cheap, but I know when image is important]. But for its design flaw, the Away Signature Bag would have worked great.

Do you know of any products that might work for me?

I see a 45" Slim Wallybag (https://www.ebags.com/product/wally-...uctid=10368672), but a) I'm not sure the handles stick out far enough to hang in the airport closet; and b) not sure if classy enough.
Old Jul 7, 19, 3:20 am

I saw this Nomatic Garment bag the other day which looks interesting. It has an external hanger as well as nylon webbing on the back which can be slipped over a roller bag. Unfortunately, there are no size or weight specs on the product page, but you can call them for more info. However, at 4x the cost of the Wallybag it's kind of pricey for what you get.

Last edited by ordx; Jul 7, 19 at 3:26 am
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks. It looks interesting. I found approximate size specs on a kickstarter site. Can't find the weight. I did find contact info and sent them a series of questions.

A Delsey 42"" Garment Sleeve also looks like it could work . However, also possible not to work -- it is not clear how to hang it.
Old Jul 7, 19, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by shawbridge View Post

I see a 45" Slim Wallybag (https://www.ebags.com/product/wally-...uctid=10368672), but a) I'm not sure the handles stick out far enough to hang in the airport closet; and b) not sure if classy enough.

I have a Wally Bag. The hangers do stick out enough to hang the bag. Granted, if you use some funky hangers, they may not. However, every style I have works fine for hanging. In fact, I store it with one hanger in it so that it goes in the closet.
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks dakuda. How does the Wallybag work from a looks/classiness standpoint? Also, at the moment, this doesn't seem to be available in black. I wonder if that is temporary or a marketing choice by Wallybags.
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by shawbridge View Post
Thanks dakuda. How does the Wallybag work from a looks/classiness standpoint? Also, at the moment, this doesn't seem to be available in black. I wonder if that is temporary or a marketing choice by Wallybags.
Mine is black. I also see them online in black. It's a bifold carrier. Nothing fancy, it is simple and functional. Two large pockets outside, nothing inside.

This is the one I have. Other sizes are available. https://thd.co/2XEAoKX

Search this Thread