Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Specific travel insurance coverage question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Specific travel insurance coverage question

I have an upcoming trip where I have an award ticket outbound from AMS to the US, but am coming from JTR on a different airline on a different PNR to connect in AMS, and the connection is more than valid, but only 1.5 hours. My concern is the LCC that I am flying from JTR on, and if they are late, and if I miss my award flight home that perhaps Delta will not help me on the award. Anyone know of a particular insurance that would cover something like this where you are on 2 different PNRs, connecting in an airport if one is late and you miss the other solely due to the late departure of the unconnected ticket?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:08 pm

I missed a connection (weather) between two different PNRs and had to pay a $1k change fee (difference in fares) to move my flight 24 hours later. World Nomads covered the cost. YMMV, not sure if it's stated coverage.

Last edited by imackie; Jul 13, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by antonius66
I have an upcoming trip where I have an award ticket outbound from AMS to the US, but am coming from JTR on a different airline on a different PNR to connect in AMS, and the connection is more than valid, but only 1.5 hours. My concern is the LCC that I am flying from JTR on, and if they are late, and if I miss my award flight home that perhaps Delta will not help me on the award. Anyone know of a particular insurance that would cover something like this where you are on 2 different PNRs, connecting in an airport if one is late and you miss the other solely due to the late departure of the unconnected ticket?
You might try asking this on the Travel Insurance section of CruiseCritic.com, as most of the questions/posts are not cruise-specific;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...vel-insurance/

Please be SURE to state your nationality/residence, as most will otherwise assume that you are USA-based, and those policies can be VERY different from those in other countries (which also vary from each other in many cases).

With your question, the "connection time" may need to be longer for the insurance purposes, so also check on that.

GC
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
By separate PNR's, do you mean separate tickets? That can make a world of difference in the context of many things, including whether a transfer is covered or not.

Also, remember to read the policy carefully. Just because a particular policy offering at some time in the past included a feature, does not mean it will be there on the policy you are looking at today.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If a LCC is involved, it would be separate tickets. They don't interline.

DL (unwritten/unpublished AFAIK) policy is that they will protect across different PNRs/tickets (including award tickets) if the flights are DL operated (or operated by close partners such as AF/KLM, but I'd hate to be at the mercy of AF/KLM airport agents when attempting to use this). If some other carrier, especially a LCC/ULCC carrier is involved, you could ask nicely but I wouldn't be optimistic.

Note that separate tickets/PNRs mean that it is NOT a connection.

I've heard of travel insurance covering this case, but with requirements for lots and lots of time between tickets, far more than a hour and a half.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
MANY policies require that you buy the policy within a certain number of days of the 'first purchase' of the trip. (Its kind of retarded, but the language seems to contemplate a 'trip' as a 'packaged deal with one price to a travel agent'...but you need to read it carefully.)

If you do not buy the polciy within X days of the first purchase, some of the coverage may be limited. Some severely. You need to be careful.

(This is to eliminate people looking at the weather 2 weeks out and thinking "say, maybe I need cyclone cover...")

Finally, most polices dont care one ticket, two ticket, etc. As long as it is a legal connection, and you miss the connect for a covered reason, the policy should kick in. HOWEVER...WHAT they will cover...how MUCH they will cover...all depends on the policy language.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
MANY policies require that you buy the policy within a certain number of days of the 'first purchase' of the trip. (Its kind of retarded, but the language seems to contemplate a 'trip' as a 'packaged deal with one price to a travel agent'...but you need to read it carefully.)

If you do not buy the polciy within X days of the first purchase, some of the coverage may be limited. Some severely. You need to be careful.

(This is to eliminate people looking at the weather 2 weeks out and thinking "say, maybe I need cyclone cover...")

Finally, most polices dont care one ticket, two ticket, etc. As long as it is a legal connection, and you miss the connect for a covered reason, the policy should kick in. HOWEVER...WHAT they will cover...how MUCH they will cover...all depends on the policy language.
As I mentioned above, the "legal connection" time as given by an airline might be quite different from what a travel insurer will require, so double check on that.

It never occurred to me that the travel insurance seemed to consider a "trip" as "packaged deal with one price to a travel agent".
The "first purchase" would be just that, "a first purchase", and however you make it, direct with a hotel, an airline, a tour company, packaged together or not.

One nice thing about many travel insurance policies is that one can start the coverage with just the initial payment, such as one-night's hotel stay (if that's all that one pays for initially), or just the airfare, or just the cruise deposit. Then one can add coverage as one increases the trip costs.
Often, the coverages go in increments, such as each $500 'til a certain amount, and then by $1k's. So if there are small payments, one might not even need to change the covered amount, unless one has "jumped categories", etc.

GC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.