Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Compression Packing Cubes- Which brand?

Old Jun 22, 19, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

I have been using Ebags packing cubes for years and love the perfect sizes and the net, breathable bags. I see that Ebags and Amazon now sell compression packing cubes which seem even better- the cubes would take up less space because of the compression. I take trips of 4- 6 weeks or longer and try to stay with a carryon bag and a smaller version of the Tumi just in case bag which is a tote that has a sleeve that slips on the carry on bag's telescoping handle. Or I use the carry on bag and a back pack. Which compression brand and model would you recommend and why? Do your clothes seem more or less wrinkled than with the regular packing cubes?
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
If you are like me, you have a certain way that you organize your luggage. In other words, I know that my Eagle Creek Pack-It Garment Folder will go on the left side of my luggage and then a couple of packing cubes will fit flat on the right side. Once I've got everything inside the packing cubes, tossing them into the suitcase takes just a few minutes because I already know where everything will fit. When I get to a hotel, I just place the packing cubes into drawers. (I am male, by the way. My wife also uses eBags, but organizes differently than I. Her eBags have a cute leopard pattern.)

Like you, I've been using eBags packing cubes for quite a few years, but have recently substituted a few compression packing cubes to save space. I have 2 different brands of compression cubes:
1. an Eagle Creek compression cube that I've owned and used for several years
2. a pack all compression cube that I purchased on Amazon this year (because I couldn't find another Eagle Creek like the one I already own). This has dual zippers and works similarly to the Eagle Creek compression cube. So far I am pleased with it and will likely purchase another. Link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Z1NV3L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Z1NV3L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How did I select which compression cube to buy? I measured the length and width of my eBag packing cubes. I wanted compression cubes that were about the same dimensions when zipped up because I wanted to place them into my luggage in exactly the same spot as the old eBags. Yes, they do save space.

Shirts and long pants go into the Eagle Creek Garment folder. I have no problem with wrinkling. I love that garment folder. (I had to buy one for my wife after she saw how great these are. Hers has a cute zebra pattern.)

Things such as T-shirts, undies, socks, swimsuits, sleepwear, and exercise gear usually go into the packing cubes. The only item here where I care about wrinkling is the T-shirts, and only really in the summer months. (In the winter, T-shirts are underneath, so wrinkles don't matter much.) If you pack T-shirts flat, yes, there will be more wrinkling in the compression cubes, but I think it's an acceptable trade-off for the space you save. If you are a roller, I don't think you will notice as much change.
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
@Getawaysrus. Thanks so much for your wonderfully detailed and speedy reply. I plan to order the cubes by tomorrow. I’ll follow up on your suggestions & any others people may provide. Yes, I have a system just like you!! And interestingly, I had liked at first glance the pack all cube you have just given me the link to. But I thought I should reach out to those more knowledgeable than me. Should I also look on Eagle Creek’s website?
Old Jun 22, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
When I searched Amazon, I couldn't find that Eagle Creek compression cube that I bought a number of years ago. It is about the same size as one of my eBag packing cubes, and I was going to order another, but I just couldn't find it being sold singly (only in sets of different sizes). I'm not sure if you'll find it on the Eagle Creek website either.

The pack all that I mentioned is essentially the same thing, and it is sold singly (in 2 different sizes, so measure your eBags and order the size that suits you).

I suppose the main difference between my old Eagle Creek compression cube and the new pack all cube is the color. The Eagle Creek is black, the pack all is grey. The old Eagle Creek cube has held up through many trips, but the quality of the pack all seems OK.

One tip: when zipping that second zipper on the compression cubes to squeeze it smaller, be sure not to get the fabric of the sac lining caught in the zipper. PITA if you do.... Just watch what you're doing as you zip it, and give that lining a little push inward with your finger if it's threatening to get caught.
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Fit in your bag is #1 but on straight quality the peak designs compression cubes, Dopp kit and especially their tech pouch are #1 . Prepare to pay a premium though.
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:23 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A couple of years ago I backed the Acteon Compression Cubes on Kickstarter and I see now they are on
Amazon Amazon
They seem to have solid zippers and are dual sided so you can have a clean and dirty side if you want.
Old Jun 23, 19, 12:52 am

Don't just rely on what is available on Amazon or eBags. Eagle Creek has three different versions of cubes including compression cubes. Take a look at their website. I have numerous ones from all three lines. (I like the Specter Tech ones.)

Ebags has a new line of compression cubes although I have not tried them.

Also remember that the dimensions are not rigid and the lightweight cubes can be made to fit in dimensions slightly smaller.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: