Programs: Star Alliance
Personal liability insurance during travel

Situation:
- I am US citizen
- I reside outside of US
- I need to rent a car during my US trip
- My credit card provides CDW for rental car
- I do not have personal car insurance because I don’t have a car
- I can get a travel insurance which provides standard travel benefits - medical, trip delay, etc.

So, what I need is personal liability or ‘third-party damages’ insurance to be covered for damages for other party’s property in case of accident.

All my research indicates that liability insurance is NOT offered as a part of travel insurance or credit card provided benefits.

My question is where can I get only this type of insurance for my trip? Also, seems that rental car companies bundle third party liability insurance with CDW and you can’ have it without buying CDW and both together will add like $50/day to the rental.

Any suggestions/directions/resources are welcome.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 8, 19 at 11:34 pm
Old Jun 9, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
As I don't own a car either, I had to do this often when renting. You can purchase liability insurance by itself from the car rental agency. Most are $10-15 a day. It's usually termed SLI or something similar. Just decline the other stuff like CDW that is covered by your credit card and agree to the SLI. This must typically be done at the desk rather than when reserving online. About a year ago, I called up Geico and bought a non owners liability policy for $40 a month that covers me no matter the vehicle I'm driving. Good luck.
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Also, seems that rental car companies bundle third party liability insurance with CDW and you caní have it without buying CDW and both together will add like $50/day to the rental."

This is absolutely not true if you book a U.S. rental from the U.S. website of a rental-car company. You can accept or decline whatever optional coverages are offered.

When you book a U.S. rental from a foreign website, favorable rates -- often including both LDW and SLI -- are often offered. But as a U.S. citizen, I'm not sure that you are entitled to take advantage of those rates, even though you may currently be living overseas. Check with the rental companies for their rules concerning your particular situation.

If you are content to rent with minimal (25/50/10) liability coverage, join AARP, and rent from participating Avis/Budget locations in the U.S., using the AARP discount code. (You can join AARP as an Associate member, even if you are not yet 50.)

I wouldn't recommend renting a car with only minimal third-party liability coverage, but that's your decision to make.
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76 View Post
About a year ago, I called up Geico and bought a non owners liability policy for $40 a month that covers me no matter the vehicle I'm driving. Good luck.
​​​​​​​Have you priced the cost of a non-owned auto liability policy with Travelers? If Travelers offers it in your state, you might end up paying substantially less than $40/month.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Have you priced the cost of a non-owned auto liability policy with Travelers? If Travelers offers it in your state, you might end up paying substantially less than $40/month.
I talked to several agencies before buying it. Not sure if travelers offers it in OR. I don't mind $40 considering how much hassle and cost it saves me. I rent a car 5-7 days a month so definitely come out ahead. I remember some agencies wanting $20/day for SLI but that was definitely an exception as most were $10-15. My GF has a similar policy with Progressive and she only pays like $28/ month, but her residence and license are in PA.

To the OP: Another option that may or may not be appropriate to to your situation might be to rent from car sharing services like Turo or Getaround. Late model cars rented out by private owners through platforms that include all the insurance in the daily rate. Downside being that most only include 200 miles a day or 1000 a week.
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76 View Post
I talked to several agencies before buying it. Not sure if travelers offers it in OR. I don't mind $40 considering how much hassle and cost it saves me. I rent a car 5-7 days a month so definitely come out ahead. I remember some agencies wanting $20/day for SLI but that was definitely an exception as most were $10-15. My GF has a similar policy with Progressive and she only pays like $28/ month, but her residence and license are in PA.
I don't know if Travelers offers that type of policy in OR, but there are Travelers agents in OR. Rates can vary widely depending on a number of factors, but I live in Upstate NY, and currently pay Travelers about $5/month (that's not a typo) for such coverage.
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:50 pm

$5 is pretty sweet.
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Have you priced the cost of a non-owned auto liability policy with Travelers? If Travelers offers it in your state, you might end up paying substantially less than $40/month.
Interesting options but I need such insurance only once a year.

However, thanks for LIS info. I'll call Hertz to see, if getting it makes financial sense. Also, checked Travellers website and see that 'General Liability' insurance is in the section for Commercial/Business, rather than for individuals.
Did you buy that policy for yourself or for your business?

Back my my stuff: after weekend search/reading I found that BUPA International offers travel insurance with add-on liability insurance as well, which runs into something like $142 for 8 days.
If LIS for that 8 days is less than $142, I'd rather go with that.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 9, 19 at 10:41 pm
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Be careful about policy limits. Personal liability protects your assets now and in the future. Most states only require $25K and that is what most car rental policies sell as an add-on.

If you are found liable in an accident where someone is seriously injured, $25K won't cover much. Non-owned policies are typically quite inexpensive.
mmff likes this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 7:47 pm

if you have umbrella coverage (from your house/rental), check if it will cover the car as well
Old Jun 9, 19, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
if you have umbrella coverage (from your house/rental), check if it will cover the car as well
Have to repeat again.
No, I do not have either house or car, I am living outside of US for last >7 years without owning a car and I am renting my place all the time.
No, I do not have any umbrella insurance, because where I live such thing does not exist (and if it did, it would not cover liability outside of the country of the residence) and I have no property in US.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Be careful about policy limits. Personal liability protects your assets now and in the future. Most states only require $25K and that is what most car rental policies sell as an add-on.
If you are found liable in an accident where someone is seriously injured, $25K won't cover much. Non-owned policies are typically quite inexpensive.
Understood, but I do not want to fall into scare tactics 'buy this otherwise you will die next day'.

However, I would appreciate if you explain what 'Non-owned policies' means.

If you are content to rent with minimal (25/50/10) liability coverage, join AARP, and rent from participating Avis/Budget locations in the U.S., using the AARP discount code. (You can join AARP as an Associate member, even if you are not yet 50.)
Would you mind to point me where can I read about this? Quick search did not bring anything covering this.
And do I understand you correctly that to be covered by this policy, I have to use discount code during booking?

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 10, 19 at 9:22 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 9, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Have to repeat again.
No, I do not have either house or car, I am living outside of US for last >7 years without owning a car and I am renting my place all the time.
No, I do not have any umbrella insurance, because where I live such thing does not exist (and if it did, it would not cover liability outside of the country of the residence) and I have no property in US.

Understood, but I do not want to fall into scare tactics 'buy this otherwise you will die next day'.

However, I would appreciate if you explain what 'Non-owned policies' means.
It should be a "non-owner" policy, which is to cover those who don't own a vehicle (thus not having their own vehicle with associated liability coverage) while they are driving a vehicle they don't own. In many, but not all cases, your auto liability coverage from your primary auto may extend to while you are driving a vehicle you don't own. However, those who simply don't own a vehicle won't have this as an option, thus the "non-owner" type of policy.

"Non-Owned" vehicle coverage is a wholly different issue and is typically part of a commercial auto policy where the business owner/employer is covered for liability arising out of an employee's use of a personal auto while in the conduct of the company's business. With a single letter difference between "non-owned" and "non-owner", they can be confused at times.
Old Jun 9, 19, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

OskiBear, thanks for clarification but it is getting more complicated now.

Do I understand correctly, that 'non-owned' type of commercial policy is aimed for businesses while 'non-owner' is for a private person who has/own some other car/insurance but driving not that particular car and is covered in terms of liability, correct?

But in my case - when I neither own a car, not I am covered by my employer's insurance, for personal liability coverage while renting a car I am pretty much have not much choices except:
- find a travel insurance which covers rented cars and provides liability insurance as well
- buy Liability Insurance Supplement - LIS at the counter of the rental counter

Seems the third option - Travellers/Geiko/etc is specifically aimed for people who reside in US, but if I - as non-US resident US citizen - can buy such policy, that's another question...

Last edited by invisible; Jun 9, 19 at 10:43 pm
Old Jun 10, 19, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All you can do is scour the policy itself. Just because you are permitted to purchase does not mean that you are covered.

There are many people in your situation, e.g. US nationals who reside outside the US and either do not own a car or their foreign coverage does not extend to personal liability in the US.

It is a mistake to look at this as a "scare tactic" issue. It is all about your own personal risk tolerance,

Last edited by Often1; Jun 10, 19 at 9:07 am
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Moving to Travel Products forum, where discussion of travel insurance products is hosted. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator

Search this Thread