Reload this Page >

In-Betweener Bags (23-24" bags)

Old Jun 6, 19, 7:35 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs

Hi, all. I seem to always wind up with too much for a carry-on and too little for a normal 25" checked bag. I found a 23.5" Samsonite in Switzerland recently, but this is one of those bags that likes to fall forward anytime it's upright. I want to replace it, but can't find anything in the US that isn't either some dirt-cheap brand or just really ugly (colors/designs).

Anyone have a recommendation for a quality checked bag that's in between the 22" carry-on and the 25"+ bags out there?
Old Jun 6, 19, 8:16 pm

Plenty of 22" carry ons are a little larger than 22 from handle to bottom of the wheels. Some are a little wider than 14", too. In fact, most brands produce carry-ons a bit larger than 22x14x9 for the US market. I'd try a discount store like Ross/Marshalls or Luggage outlet store with a tape measure.

A few brands also capitalize on the slightly larger US sizers like Away's Bigger carry-on which is 22.7 x 14.7 x 9.6
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:03 am
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Thanks for this option, which is a step up from what I'd found so far.

I should have provided the full dimensions of my current bag - 23.5 x 16 x 11.5. So, it is noticeably larger than the standard carry-on, but also noticeably smaller than the 25 x 18 x 11 large checked bags.
Old Jun 7, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
I think i have more questions than answers. How much are you looking to spend? Any particular "must have features" (laptop access/ water proof, buisness looking etc.)? Have you ever considered cutting the wheels and going back pack? Frankly i don't think much looks good at all in the roller luggage class.

A few interesting choices are the ever present Tumi, B&R but you also have some interesting "tactical" bags on amazon with rollers now and two pretty interesting upstarts. The G-ro has those giant wheels which can get you over curbs and sidewalks without what i call the "scuff drag" maneuver (I think you could roll a G-Ro up a flight of steps if you really had to without lifting it https://g-ro.com/products/carry-on-c...RoC0_IQAvD_BwE

Also nomatic just launched some interesting travel bags on kick starter. https://www.nomatic.com/?gclid=CjwKC...xoCx8QQAvD_BwE. The pro version with its outside laptop access looks interesting for clearing airport security.

Another option would be a "continental" line of bags made in the US which are a larger and more expandable than the "international carry on sizes" such as this: https://www.tumi.com/p/continental-e...n-01171621041/

You'll notice with that Tumi Continental expandable it can be unzipped and expanded in dept from 9 inches to 11 inches so even though it still has the same 22 inch height you gain an extra 11.5 liters via the expansion zipper.

Search this Thread