Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone try the Monyker Convertible weekend?

Old Jun 6, 19, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold

I have never before seen such a small bag with a suiter that also has detachable bags to take to your seat. I ordered one as they are on sale from ebags and starting looking around and like NO ONE is talking about or reviewing this bag.

Anyone have any experience with it??

Old Jun 9, 19, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Since no one is posting up would anyone like to see a review after i get this thing?
Old Jun 10, 19, 11:02 am

I'd definitely like to see your review. I like the layout and am intrigued by the zip-off pockets. It sounds heavy at 5.6 pounds, though.
Old Jun 10, 19, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rusearch View Post
I'd definitely like to see your review. I like the layout and am intrigued by the zip-off pockets. It sounds heavy at 5.6 pounds, though.

Agreed. At the other end of the spectrum m Tortuga Setout 45l is only 3.9lbs. However this Weekender is no laptop bag. At 30L it is a full on duffel sized boarding bag. I am struggling with the notion that it would be be usable as a daily carry once you get to your destination. You can defnately daily carry the zip off back pack or satchel but if you need to daily carry a laptop this thing will be a problem for that purpose (unless you have lots of other stuff you need to carry also).

I am going to try to travel with this and a smaller 13 inch sized laptop portfolio style laptop bag for hard core professional work (consulting/C suit stuff) but i think you could get by with a packable day laptop day bag and this for situations where your laptop needs connsist of airports coffee shops and tourists destinations.

Ill see how it works out. It is arriving tomorrow but might be a few weeks before i travel with it.

I also have the giant tumi split duffle 2 wheeled Alpha that is around 97 literrs coming in. That thing weighs 10lbs. but will be limited to 2 week plus trips and or winter weather when i want to shove a large coat and rain gear in my checked luggage.
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Initial Impressions:

I have a skooba design laptop check through that is one of my favorite bags ever. Even after one of my cats peed in it i spent well over 2 years working it with vinegar and vannilla and airing it out until it became usable again...mostly because they quit making that bag and i couldn't replace it. I suspect this Moniker weekender will also be such a bag.

1) Does it look good? Yes
2) Are the back pack and satchel attachments easy to zip off? yes
3) But are the back pack and satchel attachments easy to zip back on? I was suprised but yes...this is a huge win. The main thing is to make sure the zipper is seated when you initially hook it in and from there it is butter. (Haven't tried it while fully packed though it is easy when empty).
4) Are the back pack straps comfortable/usable/easy to stow? Yes. Another huge win
5) Can you actually pack a full suit in this thing? Yes.., yet another huge win. I figured just a jacket and id have to fold the pants but i managed to get the entire suit in no problem and not much different than how a suit fits in my Tumi international. Pretty amazing. I still might fold the pants when fully packing this thing but you have options.
6)Does it look silly in back pack mode? Not at all.
7) How does it look in shoulder carry mode? It has a Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 feel. It is not "duffel baggish" at all. It is more like carrying an over sized laptop brief.
8) Will the zip off back pack bag actually function for anything useful? Yet another huge win. It holds my 13 inch ultra book with ease. Even better (since there is no padding) it holds my ultra book with each in any one of 3 different cases i tried (small, medium and large all went inside the back pack). From there you still have room for spare batteries, headphones, chargers a few snacks and a tablet...In other words, your seat bag.
9) Does the zip off back pack look silly? Not really. It isn't what i would call the best style in the world but it is so small and comfortable that "ahhh..this thing is light and comfy" feeling supercedes the fact that it isn't a designer back pack from Tumi. Would i prefer this over a genius pack for a seat back? I am not sure, i might try to shove the genius pack inside it we will see.
10) Is the Satchel actually usable for anything? On that..i am not sure. It is pretty small. I could see bumming around day of tourism with a spare battery, phone, passport photo, cash, and maybe a fold up rain poncho in it so i guess yea...it could have a purpose.
11) I don't have much closet space, how is it to store?....it folds amazingly flat.
12) Can you use it as a daily carry laptop brief? In my opinion, no. It looks professional enough in black but it is too big. At best you might use it if you are some kind of "full mobile office Dongle Rodney" or tech repair type guy that carries A LOT of crap just in day to day use..... But not if you want minimal professional high speed low drag increased mobility sort of look and feel (which i think most do now days). If you take this......pack a small pro looking bag inside a checked bag (like the Tumi Portfolio organizer) and you'd be set.

Is it perfect? No. It has no water bottle holder. Not a deal breaker but dang....with a water bottle holder it would have been darn near perfect.....is what i would have said but there are a couple other issues. It needed a few threads trimmed and i needed to lubricate one of the zippers right out of the box. I don't think it will unravel on me or rip but it isn't "luxury" level QC either. This is a niche bag for someone who wants a suit to carry on (not valet on a CRJ200 but keep with them) along with a laptop, a single change of clothes, snacks, some tech items some mild rain gear and a few cables/headphones extra battery, toiletries/dopp bag etc...IE..exactly what you would want to have with you in an "oh crap they lost all my luggage even my valet bag" situation. In truth i think it is plenty small enough not to be forced checked on a smaller aircraft but we all know how that goes..... The added weight makes perfect sense once you realize you are in fact carrying a back pack, a satchel and a duffle bag that converts to either brief case mode or back pack mode. However all that organization comes at a price as it cuts into the space on the bag. This is indeed a weekender and not something optimized for packing space. For something optimized with empty space, i highly recommend the tortuga setout as it is just a huge empty swimming pool and you get around 45l of packing space in the same size bag that usually only provides around 38 to 40l. This is a bag i would highly recommend for two bag travel where you check one bag at the gate and carry only one bag through the airport.....it is ESPECIALLY useful, in my opinion for optimizing foot space by having a very small foot print on what you actually take to your seat and or being useful for commuter travel where they take anything with wheels and will even take larger back packs from you as you can easily zip off one of the attached bags (the back pack is all you need) and use it as your boarding bag.

For someone who wants one bag travel, this ain't it unless you are only traveling for 2 and maybe 3 days (and are a good packer). For someone who only travels on larger aircraft and doesnt have to worry about a boarding bag for commuter sized planes or who isn't concerned with foot room because they don't mind larger bags or are bad travelers (rude and inconsiderate and can't follow directions) and store more than one bag in the over head bin rather than following directions....this might not be your best choice of bag either. If i am not trying to look quite as professional, i can easily one bag travel with that aforementioned Tortuga setout and just pack a packable day pack inside it for when i get to my destination and have much more room.

How is it on a real trip? Will it hold up over time? Did it turn out to be worth the money? All of those are unknown at this time but based on my experience with a closet full of luggaage i think it was an amazing buy at $224 and a descent buy at $300.

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 11, 19 at 6:33 pm

Search this Thread