Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Car rental insurance confusions

Car rental insurance confusions

Old Jun 6, 19, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Those who do not own a car but who rent cars with some frequency should consider obtaining a personal, non-owned-auto liability insurance policy. Mine is issued by Travelers Insurance.
I kept this for a couple years with USAA. A non-owner policy was something like $120/yr in the early 2000's.
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Travel Products Forum. Insurance-related issues are typically discussed in that forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Those who do not own a car but who rent cars with some frequency should consider obtaining a personal, non-owned-auto liability insurance policy. Mine is issued by Travelers Insurance.
I can't find this product on their website. How did you get this coverage? I would like to have this type of policy.
Old Jun 6, 19, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
I can't find this product on their website. How did you get this coverage? I would like to have this type of policy.
Use the "agent locator" engine on the Travelers website to find a local agent near you. Then call the agent and ask if Travelers offers such a policy in your particular state.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 8:56 pm
Original Member

You rarely, if ever, will see a named none owner policy listed on a companies website or even in their brochures.

I owned and operated an insurance agency for 40 years, and if I sold two of those a year, that was a lot. Most agents rarely write one.

You can expect a range of priced, so shop around. I would expect the rates, depending on where your primary residence is, to be somewhere between $300 to 600 a year. My suggestion would be to call a few local insurance agencies to get some quote.
Old Jun 6, 19, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If you are renting on a contract rate that includes the LDW, then you obviously are not declining the LDW, so there would be no credit-card coverage.
Not necessarily. Some CCs just require you to decline any optional coverages. For example in some countries there is a mandatory base coverage on all rentals. You just need to decline any added coverage.
Old Jun 7, 19, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
Not necessarily. Some CCs just require you to decline any optional coverages. For example in some countries there is a mandatory base coverage on all rentals. You just need to decline any added coverage.
But I'm talking about contract rates which include LDW. (And if the contract rate includes a zero-excess LDW, then it wouldn't matter even if the credit-card coverage were activated: there would be nothing for the credit-card coverage to cover, if you rented on a contract rate that included a zero-excess LDW.)
Old Jun 7, 19, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
But I'm talking about contract rates which include LDW. (And if the contract rate includes a zero-excess LDW, then it wouldn't matter even if the credit-card coverage were activated: there would be nothing for the credit-card coverage to cover, if you rented on a contract rate that included a zero-excess LDW.)
SO you are saying, categorically, that a CONTRACT rate that includes any LDW (full or to some deductible or some limited coverage) will result in 100% loss of any CC cover?

It has been my experience that as long as you decline any optional cover to the extent you CAN decline, the CC cover is not in jeopardy.

YMMV
Old Jun 7, 19, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
SO you are saying, categorically, that a CONTRACT rate that includes any LDW (full or to some deductible or some limited coverage) will result in 100% loss of any CC cover?

It has been my experience that as long as you decline any optional cover to the extent you CAN decline, the CC cover is not in jeopardy.

YMMV
If you are, in fact, offered any form of LDW by the car-rental company and you decline it, I assume that credit-card coverage would be activated -- even if you booked on, say, an AARP association discount rate which limits liability for damage to, or loss of, the rental car to $5,000. But the OP is a university employer contemplating booking on a university contract rate. I assume -- but do not know -- that if that rate includes coverage for the rental vehicle, it is zero-excess coverage, so LDW would not be offered by the rental-car company at time of pick up, and therefore could not be declined. If the university's contract rate provides for something other than zero-excess coverage on the rental vehicle and the contract rate permits the rental-car company to offer full LDW coverage for an additional fee, that would be a different story.

I am aware that in some foreign countries, included LDW coverage might not be zero-excess coverage, and the renter is given the option to accept or decline additional LDW coverage. I assume that a renter who declined that coverage would receive credit-card coverage (unless the renter rented in a country on the credit-card company's exclusion list).

Here in the U.S., some car-rental companies (I'm thinking the Enterprise group of companies) offer "waiver-saver" LDW coverage at a lower price than full LDW coverage. I assume that if a renter were to accept waiver-saver coverage, then the credit-card's insurance would not cover any loss not covered by the waiver-saver coverage. But that, of course, is a different situation than renting on a contract rate that includes full or partial coverage.

Edited to add: Here's what my alma mater says about LDW coverage on contract rentals with Avis/Budget:

"Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) for loss or damage in excess of $500 is included in the rental rate on rentals for “business purposes”"

I don't know if my alma mater's contract permits Avis/Budget to offer additional coverage at time of rental to eliminate that $500 excess. My guess is that the university is willing to self-insure to the tune of $500 per rental, and wouldn't want employees to spend additional university funds to eliminate that excess. Bur I'm just an alum who only rents for leisure -- not university business -- so I can't say for sure what happens on a university-business rental.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 7, 19 at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 9, 19, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some other threads on a some what similar topic
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:50 pm

Programs: hertz
I have a question on the claim process through the credit card CDW. Lets say I have ignored car rentals CDW and opted Credit Card CDW. Assume there is a damage to my rental car and the car company assess expenses of $2000 . will this be charged to my credit card immediately and what happens if my credit card limit is only $750
Old Dec 13, 19, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thambra View Post
I have a question on the claim process through the credit card CDW. Lets say I have ignored car rentals CDW and opted Credit Card CDW. Assume there is a damage to my rental car and the car company assess expenses of $2000 . will this be charged to my credit card immediately and what happens if my credit card limit is only $750
Whether the rental-car company is permitted to immediately charge your credit card for the estimated amount of the damage will depend on the law of the jurisdiction where the rental occurred. I'm sure that it's prohibited in some places, and permitted in others. Some rental-car companies will also work directly with your credit card's insurer; some companies won't.

If your credit-card issuer will not permit an over-limit charge, then a $2,000 charge obviously won't be permitted if your card has just a $750 credit limit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: