Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Small reusable plastic bottles for liquids

Small reusable plastic bottles for liquids

Old May 31, 19, 12:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 196
Small reusable plastic bottles for liquids

The kind of mouthwash I use doesn't come in a small size. So I've purchased those travel plastic bottles from CVS/Walgreens. But these never seal tight and I end up having the liquid leak out copiously.

So do you have any suggestions on where I can get a good travel-size reusable bottle/container for liquids?
thebakaronis is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 3:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 144
My $ .02

Purchase a couple of the travel size mouthwash bottles from the source of your choice. Empty their contents, then dispense your mouthwash into them. We end up purchasing the LARGE bottles of mouthwash from our local warehouse club and have been doing this for travel the past few years without incident.
LiveOak is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 5:15 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Posts: 1,903
There are many sources - Container Store, Muji, big box stores like Target & Walmart. The silicone versions I find a little more leak proof but they tend to take up way too much space in a ziploc. No worries if you're packing in a checked bag.

Another "cheap and readily available" option along the lines of an existing travel mouthwash bottle might be a mini liquor bottle. Basically, something designed for a thin liquid (many "travel" bottles seem to be ok for thicker substances like shampoo, conditioner, shower gel)
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 9:01 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by LiveOak View Post
Purchase a couple of the travel size mouthwash bottles from the source of your choice. Empty their contents, then dispense your mouthwash into them. We end up purchasing the LARGE bottles of mouthwash from our local warehouse club and have been doing this for travel the past few years without incident.
Good idea.

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
There are many sources - Container Store, Muji, big box stores like Target & Walmart. The silicone versions I find a little more leak proof but they tend to take up way too much space in a ziploc. No worries if you're packing in a checked bag.

Another "cheap and readily available" option along the lines of an existing travel mouthwash bottle might be a mini liquor bottle. Basically, something designed for a thin liquid (many "travel" bottles seem to be ok for thicker substances like shampoo, conditioner, shower gel)
Thanks for the pointers. Yes, you're right about thick liquids doing better in the most commonly available bottles. But thinner ones leak like crazy. So I'll try either reusing another mouthwash bottle or a liquor bottle.
thebakaronis is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 12:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Posts: 1,903
Yeah, and silicone bottles are bad for oils & some serums. We tend to talk about things like this in the Women's forum here and in the fashion/beauty forum I frequent on Cruise Critic. I get lots of good idea ;-) [for face oils & serum, eye drops bottles are good!] Some people have VERY creative solutions, and you never know until someone asks!
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 11:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 59
You can also cut a small piece of Saran wrap/cling film, put it over the opening of the bottle and then screw on the cap. This will prevent leaks.
Gringa likes this.
1Bag1World is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 11:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,178
Have you tried the Nalgene bottles which are available at Container Store (and are actually reasonably priced there)?

They are available elsewhere too, but Container Store is probably the easiest. Here is one example:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/nal...0243&q=nalgene
envgeo and Loren Pechtel like this.
wcj1 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 19, 9:18 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by 1Bag1World View Post
You can also cut a small piece of Saran wrap/cling film, put it over the opening of the bottle and then screw on the cap. This will prevent leaks.
Good idea. However, after a fair number of uses (packing and unpacking a few times) saran wrap tends to bunch up into an unusable mass of plastic for me.

Originally Posted by wcj1 View Post
Have you tried the Nalgene bottles which are available at Container Store (and are actually reasonably priced there)?

They are available elsewhere too, but Container Store is probably the easiest. Here is one example:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/nal...0243&q=nalgene
I'll look into these. Have you used them with thin liquids like mouthwash?
thebakaronis is offline  
Old Jun 1, 19, 9:44 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Posts: 1,903
I've used the "original" nalgene bottle (from REI) as a camping water bottle. That's what it was designed for. Haven't used the travel toiletry versions though. (If I recall the early to mid 80s, Nalgene's claim to fame is that nothing "stuck" to the bottle and changed the flavor - so you could do koolaid with one bottle but once unlike some bottles, the next 5 bottles of water wouldn't still taste of koolaid ;-)
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old Jun 1, 19, 12:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW, DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Posts: 977
Nalgene bottles are the bomb. buy some and never look back.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
envgeo is offline  
Old Jun 1, 19, 1:55 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,304
The mini Nalgene bottles are perfect. With the exception of the dropper bottles, they never leak.
brp1264 likes this.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 7:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
I have one gripe about Nalgene. They make their travel bottles in 1 oz, 2 oz and 4 oz sizes, but not in the 3.4 oz max carry-on size that the TSA mandates. I don't know why Nalgene doesn't make them, I would imagine that they would be a big seller.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
ordx is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 1:31 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,494
Originally Posted by ordx View Post
I have one gripe about Nalgene. They make their travel bottles in 1 oz, 2 oz and 4 oz sizes, but not in the 3.4 oz max carry-on size that the TSA mandates. I don't know why Nalgene doesn't make them, I would imagine that they would be a big seller.
Excepting mouthwash, it takes a while to go through 100ml of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, or bodywash.

I'd also look at 50/100ml spout bags, similar to baby food pouches (without the re-sealable zipper for reusable ones), but I'm a container nerd. They're similar to the soft flask style used in "rum runners" for cruise ships. The small opening should help keep thin liquids from leaking and you can add a layer of plastic wrap on to help it seal.
freecia is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 2:33 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Posts: 44,623
I buy a travel size bottle of Listerine, toss the contents, and pour my mouthwash into it. It seals very well and even has a child safety cap.
Mary2e is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:56 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BNA
Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
I buy a travel size bottle of Listerine, toss the contents, and pour my mouthwash into it. It seals very well and even has a child safety cap.
did the same thing with a generic CVS mouthwash bottle. May grab one of the Listerine bottles next as I’ve been using this one for ~1 year.
crp5 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread