Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Softsided luggage for African trip

Old May 27, 19, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist

I need to buy a new softsided piece of luggage for an African trip (safaris/gorillas/beach). Because I'll be checking it for many flights and because it will have to carry almost all I can take (except for what I can stuff in my small carryon and the photographer's vest), I would like something sturdy and waterproof, but not overly heavy. It will need to fit through the cargo door of the light aircraft, so within 14.5" X 27" (36 cm X 68 cm). I'd be very grateful for any recommendations.
Old May 27, 19, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by rfrost View Post
I need to buy a new softsided piece of luggage for an African trip (safaris/gorillas/beach). Because I'll be checking it for many flights and because it will have to carry almost all I can take (except for what I can stuff in my small carryon and the photographer's vest), I would like something sturdy and waterproof, but not overly heavy. It will need to fit through the cargo door of the light aircraft, so within 14.5" X 27" (36 cm X 68 cm). I'd be very grateful for any recommendations.
When my wife and I went to Africa about 15 years ago the company that arranged our travel gave us Eagle Creek duffels (non-wheeled) to carry and fit on the light planes. They worked well.
Old May 27, 19, 8:12 am

Husband and I did a 63 day overland camping (not glamping) trip in Africa in 2018. Had a locker in the truck for personal items and gear including sleeping bag, pad, etc. Found the Marmot Long Haul duffles we brought to work well. Sturdy, water resistant and had shoulder strap or backpack straps for transport. Available in a variety of sizes and reasonably priced..
Old May 28, 19, 1:51 am

My wife and I went on a 10 day safari in Botswana and Zimbabwe. The size and weight restrictions on luggage were similar to the ones you describe. Having done some research, I opted for the Red Oxx Air Boss (which I already owned) and the Red Oxx Small Aviator Kit Bag. Both met the size criteria, and were superb, easily accommodating 10 days worth of clothing (all of the safari camps offered laundry service). They are extremely robust and were able to fit into the baggage compartments of the smallest Cesna 4-seater planes. Obviously, there are cheaper alternatives but for me, the Red Oxx bags are ideal, bomb-proof and perfect for this sort of trip.
Old May 29, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
Does your Red Oxx lock? Thatís going to be a requirement for me.
i spent about a week on safari in Kruger and Vic Falls living out of a duffel about that size, without problem (the local travel agency held my larger suitcase containing the clothes and shoes I used For CapeTown and the wine country), but storing a suitcase is not an option this time, and Iíll need to include hiking boots & garden gloves for Rwanda, plus some resort wear for Zanzibar, so Iím going to try to maximize volume, I think.
Old May 30, 19, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by rfrost View Post
Does your Red Oxx lock? Thatís going to be a requirement for me.
i spent about a week on safari in Kruger and Vic Falls living out of a duffel about that size, without problem (the local travel agency held my larger suitcase containing the clothes and shoes I used For CapeTown and the wine country), but storing a suitcase is not an option this time, and Iíll need to include hiking boots & garden gloves for Rwanda, plus some resort wear for Zanzibar, so Iím going to try to maximize volume, I think.
None of the Red Oxx bags have integrated locks. I bought some TSA-compatible combination locks from Amazon which can loop through the ends of the zips, but I elected not to use them, because I thought that they would simply encourage a potential thief to take a knife to the bag. I carried all our valuables in a small carry-on (Red Oxx Mini Boss)
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

I thought I'd answer my own question in case someone else has a similar one. I ultimately decided on the North Face Medium Base Camp Duffel, as providing a combination of maximal volume (71 liters) within the cargo door dimensions, sturdiness, water-resistance, and lockability. It held up well during my trip, and I was generally happy with it as long as I didn't have to carry it very far. I couldn't wear it as a backpack, though, and would have liked a conventional shoulder strap option.

Search this Thread