FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Help me decide which carry on to keep (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1971266-help-me-decide-carry-keep.html)

Keyonman May 25, 2019 11:46 am

Help me decide which carry on to keep

I came across a Tumi Alpha 2 Continental Carry on luggage at Marshall’s for $199. Also yesterday, at Nordstrom Rack I got a Briggs & Riley Torq 21 inch carry on for $145. I am unsure of which one to keep although the price seems to be good for both. My concern is the width for the Tumi at 16 inches although the Briggs 15 inches is also over the 14 inches that most airlines allow. My question is if you guys have any experience with these luggages when trying to carry them on the flight.
I just recently retired and plan to be doing a lot of traveling in the coming months/years. I was going to use them mostly domestic but maybe some European and Asian flights. Btw, here are the dimensions for both:
Tumi 22x16x9
Briggs 21x15x9

m.photog May 28, 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Keyonman (Post 31137906)
I came across a Tumi Alpha 2 Continental Carry on luggage at Marshall’s for $199. Also yesterday, at Nordstrom Rack I got a Briggs & Riley Torq 21 inch carry on for $145. I am unsure of which one to keep although the price seems to be good for both. My concern is the width for the Tumi at 16 inches although the Briggs 15 inches is also over the 14 inches that most airlines allow. My question is if you guys have any experience with these luggages when trying to carry them on the flight.
I just recently retired and plan to be doing a lot of traveling in the coming months/years. I was going to use them mostly domestic but maybe some European and Asian flights. Btw, here are the dimensions for both:
Tumi 22x16x9
Briggs 21x15x9

One thing is certain, size allowances will probably only get smaller. If you have room to store them it sounds like you got a deal. I may need to make a trip to Marshalls.

DragonSoul May 29, 2019 12:51 am

Tumi bags aren't what they used to be.

Fly4SCUBA May 29, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Keyonman (Post 31137906)
Tumi 22x16x9
Briggs 21x15x9

I have a leather B&R rolling carry on, 21x14x8.5, never had an issue bringing it onboard (except RJs).

Keyonman May 29, 2019 10:45 am

After checking most domestic Airlines, it looks like Southwest is the only one that will allow a 16 width. I fly about 50 % Southwest so that I am still considering the Tumi.

Keyonman May 29, 2019 10:47 am

I will post a picture later showing them side by side together with my Zero Halliburton. I have to make 5 postings before I could post a picture since I am a new member.

Keyonman May 29, 2019 10:49 am

Here’s 2 pictures showing the how the Tumi stacks up size wise to B&R Torq and a Zero Halliburton.

Keyonman May 29, 2019 10:57 am

Having problem with attachments.

Keyonman May 29, 2019 11:08 am

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bc56017c5.jpeg
Zero, B&R, Tumi

m.photog Jun 5, 2019 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 31148434)
Tumi bags aren't what they used to be.

I have two pieces that are about ten years old that I am happy with. do you believe the quality has declined in that period of time?

chipmaster Jun 6, 2019 1:41 pm

You scored some deals there!

I haven't had much experience for Europe but fly a lot domestically ( AS, UA, AA, WN ), TPAC ( UA, BR, MU, AC, CA, HU ), generally always took a BR International spinner, Costco and ancient Hartmann, weight has been the bigger issue for the foreign carriers than size. Dependent on width / height your thickness you only thing was did it fit in length wise or width wise. In the smallest commuter the international BR dimensions would just squeeze into the Dash8 and EMB175,

Except for one UA GA who was on some power trip at SFO never had a problem with any of the rollerboards even with those that clearly don't fit the sizers, YMMV!

Allentown Jun 6, 2019 3:20 pm

I have the Tumi International that is 22x14x9 and it has been solid. It is one of about 30 different bags in my still growing collection currently...... With as many bags as i have collected. I still travel with that thing regularly.

I can't say anything bad about it.

As far as Tumi. I just returned their wire frame duffel (stay away from that thing) and I think they are going to replace it with something new or give me store credit. It is the first time dealing with them on damage but so far so good.