Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi Latitude vs. Rimowa Essential or Lite

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Tumi Latitude vs. Rimowa Essential or Lite

I'm purchasing new luggage for extended trips (2 weeks +) and am trying to decide between the Tumi Latitude (Extended Trip or Worldwide size) or the Rimowa Essential Check-in L (or the Lite) version. Any feedback on the best way to go? Thanks for any feedback.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I haven't used the Essential/Lite, but I got the Tumi Latitude "short trip" (smallest check-in) and like it so much that I'm thinking about getting the extended trip as well. The one huge improvement in the Latitude is the wheels - IMO it rolls better than my Salsa, which is something I never expected as I've always thought Rimowa wheels were better than Tumi.

One odd thing is that the Essential L is 62" linear - same as the Tumi extended - but the Tumi claims 15L more packing space on the website specifications (96L vs 81L). Certainly I never trust the manufacture stated specs, but maybe see if there are some 3rd party reviews on that. The Rimowa is reported on the website as nearly 1lb lighter, though.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: M/M
The two (or three) products you are trying to compare against are distinctly unique.

The Tumi Latitude line is a ballistic poly-propylene based composite, while RIMOWA Essential/Lite lines are polycarbonate based composites.

I'd recommend picking 3-5 important metrics, that matter to you (price, capacity, materials, functions, etc.), when considering what your next luggage purchase may be. Narrowing down the evaluation criteria can give you more prescriptive feedback to help you with your purchase decision.

From my perspective, they are completely different products, that serve different needs of their intended users.

Last edited by hornillas1; May 24, 2019 at 4:23 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by hornillas1
The two (or three) products you are trying to compare against are distinctly unique.

The Tumi Latitude line is a ballistic poly-propylene based composite, while RIMOWA Essential/Lite lines are polycarbonate based composites.

I'd recommend picking 3-5 important metrics, that matter to you (price, capacity, materials, functions, etc.), when considering what your next luggage purchase may be. Narrowing down the evaluation criteria can give you more prescriptive feedback to help you with your purchase decision.

From my perspective, they are completely different products, that serve different needs of their intended users.
Sorry if I'm bringing up an old thread, but these two suitcases are exactly the two I'm deciding between but in the international carry-on size. I value weight, capacity, and overall quality/craftsmanship which is leading me to lean towards the Rimowa essential lite cabin. Can you expand on how these two suitcases are completely different products? I'd like to know what different needs they both serve. Thanks!!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: M/M
When I compare the Tumi Latitude collection versus the RIMOWA Essential/Lite collections, I differentiate the three because of the two primary frame compositions:

Polypropylene versus Polycarbonate.

All are plastic-based materials, the base frame materials are inherently different.

Bottom line, you are in a three-way tie between the three brands; each product leading in, at least, one metric.

When comparing the Latitude International Carry-On and Essential/Lite Cabin-S, you get the following results:

Product / Dimensions / Capacity / Weight / Frame-Base Material / Price / Country of Manufacture
Latitude: 22 x 14 x 9 in / 35L / 6.24 lbs / Polypropylene / $750 / China
Essential: 21.7 x 15.8 x 7.9 in / 34L / 8.2 lbs / Polycarbonate / $670 / Czech Republic or Canada
Lite: 21.7 x 15.8 x 7.9 / 31L / 4.2 lbs / Polycarbonate / $540 / Czech Republic or Canada

When Tumi released the Latitude collection in 2018, the company touted the collection as their "lightest collection, to-date". IMO, Tumi created a product that met the needs of consumers wanting lightweight luggage and a plethora of in-house designed features (over 12+) for storage and utility.

The company chose their own trademarked brand of polypropylene-based resin, known as "SRPP (Self-Reinforced Poly-Propylene) Ballistic". Polypropylene (PP) is inherently weaker than polycarbonate. Characteristics include lower melt temperatures, heat deflection temperature, and tensile/flexural strength. PP has satisfactory chemical resistance to a wide array of bases and acids. To offset inherent weaknesses in the material, Tumi incorporated reinforcement rods into the frame of the cases, along with other enhancements, allowing the company to trademarks the SRPP Ballistic material.

RIMOWA, in 2000, was the first luggage manufacturer to introduce polycarbonate luggage with the Essential/Lite collections (previously Salsa/Salsa Air). IMO, RIMOWA created a collection for the traveller focused on lightweight base materials and the European aesthetic of minimalist contemporary design and appeal (think open spaces, clean lines, simple accents, etc).

RIMOWA chose a polycarbonate-based (PC) resin for their material of choice. Characteristics include higher melt temperatures, better head deflection temperature and tensile/flexural strength. PC has a high-impact resistance, compared to PP, but is more prone to scratching. This requires companies to add scratch-resistant coatings.

If you want proprietary in-house design and innovation, go with Tumi. If flexibility, in design and storage, with minimalism as the most evident feature, is your style aesthetic, go with RIMOWA Essential/Lite.

We could go on and on to more detail, but in the end, you have my summarized version.

Good luck and best wishes with your purchase decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.