Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

USAA no longer gives member discounts for travel insurance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 7:23 pm
JBD
Original Poster

I've been trying to purchase travel insurance through USAA which used to provide a nice discount when going through their site to get to the Travel Insured International website.

USAA is still showing "Exclusive Member Pricing", here's the screenshot from USAA:

But when I clicked on their link, and was brought to Travel Insured International's site, and requested a quote, I was given the exact same amounts I received when going to that site directly.

I've tried both Firefox and IE, and I made sure to enable all third party cookies and trackers, and clicked on their "accept cookies" and "allow location" etc.

Has anyone recently purchased Trip Insurance through USAA and received special rates? Am I doing something wrong?

And a related question, does anyone know if AAA membership gives you any discount for Trip Insurance?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
Old May 22, 2019, 3:26 pm
JBD
Original Poster

Discount still applies

Just called USAA and spoke with a USAA dedicated Travel Insured International rep. She didn't know why I couldn't access the USAA Travel Insurance portal or why I couldn't get the USAA member rates. She said she'd open a ticket.

But she was able to give me the discounted quote on the phone, and I am able to purchase the plan over the phone with the USAA member rate - so that's good.

The actual discount in my case is negligible, but the other advantage to the USAA rate is the different Pre-existing Health Waiver for the Worldwide Trip Protector. If you were to purchase the Worldwide Trip Protector directly you would have to do so 21 days from initial payment to get the waiver, but if you were to purchase it through USAA you would have 30 days from initial payment to get the waiver.

Posting this in case it's of use to anyone else...
Old May 23, 2019, 7:04 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Can you share any more details on the policy and associated costs?
Old May 25, 2019, 1:23 am
JBD
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
Can you share any more details on the policy and associated costs?
The policies are from Travel Insured International. See their website for details on their policies. And that website will generate a quote of the associated costs after you enter your specific criteria.

The benefits of using your USAA membership to access Travel Insured's polices I mentoned above. I said that in my case the discount was negligible, but to be specific, it was only a $4 savings. (When I had last bought a policy in 2012 I seemed to recall saving more like $20.)

The rep said there's not a straight across the board percentage of savings, that it's a very dynamic discount based on the factors that go into the quote in the first place (your trip cost, trip duration, your age, etc).

That's pretty much all I know wharvey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.