Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Perm resident in US, temp in Germany. Health insurance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure this one out but the internet hasn't been providing me clear answers. So I thought I'd try to see if someone here can help. My wife and I have left our full-time jobs in March to go freelance in Germany because of a special project she's working on. We intend to move back in August.

I just got booked for a 5-week gig in the US that starts on Wednesday. My German health insurance doesn't cover trips to the US. Last month we took travel medical insurance for a 2-week trip to the US. I went to use the same insurance, only to realize they cap it at 30-days for the US.

What are my options here? I'll probably go first and my wife and child will come to join me for 3 weeks or so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2019, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this over to Travel Products forum where issues relating to Travel insurance are typically discussed
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 20, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by GiantVulture
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure this one out but the internet hasn't been providing me clear answers. So I thought I'd try to see if someone here can help. My wife and I have left our full-time jobs in March to go freelance in Germany because of a special project she's working on. We intend to move back in August.

I just got booked for a 5-week gig in the US that starts on Wednesday. My German health insurance doesn't cover trips to the US. Last month we took travel medical insurance for a 2-week trip to the US. I went to use the same insurance, only to realize they cap it at 30-days for the US.

What are my options here? I'll probably go first and my wife and child will come to join me for 3 weeks or so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You can fly back before the end of the 30 days and start a new trip.

This is called Insurance Run? (Milage Run, Mattress Run, Visa Run ...)
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi. Because your circumstance is different than mine (I was an American buying travel medical insurance for work in Italy) you might have inquire directly, but have you tried these guys?
https://www.expatriatehealthcare.com/
Old May 20, 2019, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tentseller
You can fly back before the end of the 30 days and start a new trip.

This is called Insurance Run? (Milage Run, Mattress Run, Visa Run ...)
Insurance runs are indeed done by some people.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
COBRA? You can pay your current employer to continue your health insurance coverage, although it's probably not cheap.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Thanks everyone for the replies. After a few extra hours looking around, I found a company that offers up to 120 days. Phew. Done.
rickg523 and ajGoes like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GiantVulture
Thanks everyone for the replies. After a few extra hours looking around, I found a company that offers up to 120 days. Phew. Done.
For the record, can you name the company?
Thanks.
Yoshi212 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.