Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Perm resident in US, temp in Germany. Health insurance?

Perm resident in US, temp in Germany. Health insurance?

Old May 20, 19, 2:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Posts: 131
Perm resident in US, temp in Germany. Health insurance?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure this one out but the internet hasn't been providing me clear answers. So I thought I'd try to see if someone here can help. My wife and I have left our full-time jobs in March to go freelance in Germany because of a special project she's working on. We intend to move back in August.

I just got booked for a 5-week gig in the US that starts on Wednesday. My German health insurance doesn't cover trips to the US. Last month we took travel medical insurance for a 2-week trip to the US. I went to use the same insurance, only to realize they cap it at 30-days for the US.

What are my options here? I'll probably go first and my wife and child will come to join me for 3 weeks or so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
GiantVulture is offline  
Old May 20, 19, 5:05 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,337
I am moving this over to Travel Products forum where issues relating to Travel insurance are typically discussed
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline  
Old May 20, 19, 7:00 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,593
Originally Posted by GiantVulture View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure this one out but the internet hasn't been providing me clear answers. So I thought I'd try to see if someone here can help. My wife and I have left our full-time jobs in March to go freelance in Germany because of a special project she's working on. We intend to move back in August.

I just got booked for a 5-week gig in the US that starts on Wednesday. My German health insurance doesn't cover trips to the US. Last month we took travel medical insurance for a 2-week trip to the US. I went to use the same insurance, only to realize they cap it at 30-days for the US.

What are my options here? I'll probably go first and my wife and child will come to join me for 3 weeks or so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You can fly back before the end of the 30 days and start a new trip.

This is called Insurance Run? (Milage Run, Mattress Run, Visa Run ...)
GUWonder likes this.
tentseller is online now  
Old May 20, 19, 7:00 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,864
Hi. Because your circumstance is different than mine (I was an American buying travel medical insurance for work in Italy) you might have inquire directly, but have you tried these guys?
https://www.expatriatehealthcare.com/
rickg523 is offline  
Old May 20, 19, 7:44 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,273
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
You can fly back before the end of the 30 days and start a new trip.

This is called Insurance Run? (Milage Run, Mattress Run, Visa Run ...)
Insurance runs are indeed done by some people.
GUWonder is online now  
Old May 20, 19, 7:50 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,623
COBRA? You can pay your current employer to continue your health insurance coverage, although it's probably not cheap.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 20, 19, 9:22 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Posts: 131
Thanks everyone for the replies. After a few extra hours looking around, I found a company that offers up to 120 days. Phew. Done.
rickg523 and ajGoes like this.
GiantVulture is offline  
Old May 20, 19, 9:29 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,864
Originally Posted by GiantVulture View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. After a few extra hours looking around, I found a company that offers up to 120 days. Phew. Done.
For the record, can you name the company?
Thanks.
Yoshi212 likes this.
rickg523 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread