Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short-sleeve sport shirts

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Short-sleeve sport shirts

I work in a very casual company (where I can, and sometimes do, get away with shorts and a t-shirt). I'm looking for some new shirts that meet the following criteria. I wonder if anyone here has recommendations:
  • Short-sleeved, collared, button-front
  • Travels well: not too bulky when folded in my bag, and doesn't require ironing on the other end
  • A variety of patterns and/or colors available (I tend to like plaids and checks, but I am somewhat open-minded)
  • Not too ridiculously long to wear untucked (but this is the least important criteria because I can get them altered if needed)
Thoughts?
Old May 17, 2019, 11:46 am

I've not ordered one of these yet for DH, but I think this might make a nice travel, dinner, flexible option?

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-air...cgid=men-polos
skooby likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:24 pm

One or 2 front pockets ? Square cut on the bottom so you can wear untucked ?

Getting the pockets to match the pattern is an art that is hard to find
Old May 17, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Husband has lots of wicking type shirts from Columbia, Bass, ex officio - button down, some designed to be worn untucked (eg they have a different pattern bottom border), pockets. Some have venting that might make them a little too casual for you but he loves them for when we travel to hot/humid places.

My favorite (of his) that is slightly dressier are the Polo "performance" button downs, but I've only seen those in long sleeve.

If you have a $$$$$ budget, check out Outlier https://outlier.nyc/ Someone (must have been here!) recommended them for some water repellent pants a few years back - that are amazing! And they have really interesting options. Sort of young & hip (too young & hip for me most days ;-) but they do really interesting fabrics & fabric combos too....
Old May 18, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
REI has this shirt on sale for under $60.

I've tested it out on a few walks in warm weather; Honolulu, and found it dries quickly despite stretch fabric and seems ideal for hot//humid climates.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
One or 2 front pockets ? Square cut on the bottom so you can wear untucked ?
Most of my current shirts have 1 pocket, but I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on it. Square cut would be nice, but not critical.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:20 pm

Not quite sure you what you're looking for, but check out Kuhl's offering of short sleeve shirts. They have a bunch.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally prefer polo shirts to short sleeve dress shirts because they always look good untucked, and some have very nice fabrics. Furthermore, I think short sleeve dress shirts look a little dorky (not to suggest that polo shirts are haut couture either, but we expect them to have short sleeves).

The brand I've been wearing recently is called Goodfellow. IIRC, I bought them at a low end department store when I was back in Florida last year. I actually prefer them to my Paul Smith polos that probably cost 10x as much. I also have some Banana Republic (not so nice), A&F (don't hold up well in Chinese washing machines), H&M (bad quality), and Zara (okay in a pinch when a business trip gets extended unexpectedly because Zara has many stores here).
Old May 20, 2019, 10:54 pm

I would also recommend the polo route. So versatile! If you’re stuck on a button down, here’s my favorite: https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-ss-...lor=37241&sz=S
Old May 21, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My spouse hates a polo shirt, which is why we veer toward the "fishing" shirt option. I would never call that a "short sleeve dress shirt", however. It's a sport shirt that happens to have a collar and buttons, instead of a pullover ;-)

This Columbia camp shirt version has a square cut bottom (they're about 50/50 on sq cut vs shirt tail hems in their online options - we usually go to the Columbia outlet so we can try on, though the prices online can be just as good....)
https://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-sl...r=469#start=10
https://www.exofficio.com/keats-ss-s...s_tops#start=1
Old May 23, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I used to wear polos, but I find that they aren't a good look for me unless I'm golfing or something. Nothing against people who wear them; just not my style.

I'm definitely looking for "sport shirts," not "dress shirts." Think this, rather than THIS.

Another useful reference (unfortunately I look nothing like that dude on the right).
Old May 23, 2019, 2:27 pm

Kuhl shirts will be your jam.

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
Yeah, I used to wear polos, but I find that they aren't a good look for me unless I'm golfing or something. Nothing against people who wear them; just not my style.

I'm definitely looking for "sport shirts," not "dress shirts." Think this, rather than THIS.

Another useful reference (unfortunately I look nothing like that dude on the right).
Cardboard55 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PackingIt
Just ordered one to try it! Thank you!
Old May 23, 2019, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PackingIt
I completely forgot about that company, but ~10 years ago, I loved their shirts (both short sleeve and long sleeve).
Old May 24, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've had a couple of shirts from Wool & Prince that I've liked very much, but they are somewhat expensive: https://woolandprince.com/collection...e-button-downs
Cardboard55 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.