Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Question about checked baggage

Old May 12, 19, 8:15 am
Original Poster

I'm going to need to pay for 1 - 2 additional checked bags on an upcoming international trip with Condor and Lufthansa. We are already going to be using up our large luggage & small carryon bags, so I was wondering if I could make the other 1 - 2 bags actually be plastic bins that I tape or seal somehow since I already have extras of these. Any thoughts? Otherwise, perhaps I can get some very sturdy boxes? Do I need to be concerned about them opening the bins and not appropriately re-taping them? Otherwise is there some type of product that people use to help secure large items with lids like this?

I would ideally be filling them with photos and family items, but perhaps I should put our clothing into them instead and put the photo books into more typical luggage. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I checked into shipping the boxes via UPS and FedEx, but got quoted something ridiculous like $1,500 per box vs paying $100 extra to the airline.
Old May 12, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: *G
It won't have been the first time I've seen something like that. People do do it fairly frequently.
Old May 12, 19, 10:33 pm

I have sent bags from the UK to the U.S. with::

https://www.sendmybag.com

Much less than UPS or Fedex. And you don't have to worry about collecting all you plan to travel with at the airport and getting it to your final destination. They pick up and deliver.
Old May 14, 19, 12:28 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The best is double walled corrugated cardboard shipping boxes. The 20 by 20 by 20 size is most ideal. They sell them at UPS store and FedEx/Kinko. If you have a large Filipino population near where you are their supermarket/stores are cheapest for these boxes. They are called Balikbayan boxes.

Paying 3rd 4th bags are cheaper than shipping them. As the boxes will enter the country with you there is no additional customs or fees to take it through customs.

Originally Posted by 1Bag1World View Post
I have sent bags from the UK to the U.S. with::

https://www.sendmybag.com

Much less than UPS or Fedex. And you don't have to worry about collecting all you plan to travel with at the airport and getting it to your final destination. They pick up and deliver.
At their prices, I will use(misuse) my FF status of three bags for international travels for everyone on my PNR by inviting friends or relatives on a trip.

Search this Thread