Wiki Posts
Search

[Proteca] Hair Caught in Wheel

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond
[Proteca] Hair Caught in Wheel

Apologies for the poor title, but I couldn't really be more descriptive. My faithful Proteca Staria V has run into a bit of trouble after 2 years of ownership. Maybe they don't sweep the floors so well in TPE, but it appears that a bunch of hair has gotten caught in my back right wheel and is severely impairing the wheels ability to turn. I took it to an unaffiliated luggage repair shop here in YVR and they said they could fix it, but would have to change the wheel and it would be a different part entirely (voiding warranty). He also made it seem like the wheel might not be the same size, but that could just be speculation on my part. I do have warranty on the suitcase for another year, and I am going back to Tokyo in a week, so I decide to simply have it done there.

I get into contact with Proteca, and it appears that I have lost my warranty information. The store I bought it at was also moved. All of this wouldn't be so bad if the repair schedule was more concrete. Since I'll only be in Tokyo for 2 weeks, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get it back in time. So now I am thinking that I have to fix this problem myself. So... for any of you frequent travelers who have had to deal with hair problems, what the hell should I do? I'm a bit nervous to try fire because it's so difficult to reach the blockage, and something like draino seems like it would corrode the hell out of my suitcase. Any advice is appreciated!
Old May 9, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Can you not reach in with a razor blade or scissors, and cut the hair? And then use pliers/tweezers to pull it out?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:36 pm

+1 roastpuff's advice. It would be a similar procedure to cleaning rolling office chair casters except I don't think the round "hubs caps" usually pry off (they sometimes do on office chair casters). 2-wheeled bag wheel assemblies are usually easier to take apart. Hair tends to wrap around the wheel's axle and get wedged into the connector holding the axle in.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Can you not reach in with a razor blade or scissors, and cut the hair? And then use pliers/tweezers to pull it out?
I wish. The opening is too small, even my micro screwdriver is barely able to fit into the holes. I've spent an hour trying to pick at it, I've decided to go the draino route.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:20 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Use some Veet, the body hair remover. It is a mild acid that will dissolve the hair. Be sure to inject (wash) some water where you put the Veet, to remove or at least dilute the acid afaterwards.
nancypants and jgor like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.