Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Which insurance to invoke

Old May 8, 19, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

I think I need to cancel a trip for medical reasons (seeing doctor tomorrow). I have three tickets, bought on points, on Air France from Houston to Paris in May 20, returning May 28. Also paid substantial taxes and fees with credit card. Also have three tickets on United for positioning flight from MSP to HOU, paid with credit card. I used the Chase Sapphire for all the purchases. I also have Allianz travel insurance - an annual policy that covers all three travelers. With a letter from a doctor, what are the steps to cancelling the flights and getting some reimbursement? Do I start by asking Air France and United to refund me? (I think that is unlikely, right?) Who is the next in line - Chase trip insurance or Allianz? Any way to get my points back from Air France, since I doubt either Chase or Allianz can help in that arena. Thanks in advance; in over 20 trips taken in the past three years, I have never had to cancel.
Old May 8, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
First try asking the airlines for medical exemptions. If they won't with that ask what the calculated fees for cancelation and refunding miles would be. Then read your policies to see which will cover those fees best and go from there. Does your annual plan have a cap on benefits? If so it may be better to go with the CSP coverage.
Old May 8, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

I got a really good deal on all the flights so both Chase and Allianz have coverage that will more than cover my costs.I will check on annual cap on the Allianz policy, that's a good point - it's early in the year!
Old May 8, 19, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
For what it's worth, I had a very positive experience with Allianz travel insurance covering the non-refundable parts of air fare when we had to cancel for medical reasons about two weeks ago. It was all done online; the process was quite straightforward; full reimbursement showed up faster than I expected it to. Can't compare with Chase, have no experience with them, but I'm a happy Allianz user.
trooper and Lhuebner01 like this.
Old May 8, 19, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Any hope of getting my points back from Air France due to the medical issues with flying?
Old May 8, 19, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Efrem, what documentation did Allianz need?
Old May 8, 19, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lhuebner01 View Post
I think I need to cancel a trip for medical reasons (seeing doctor tomorrow). I have three tickets, bought on points, on Air France from Houston to Paris in May 20, returning May 28. Also paid substantial taxes and fees with credit card. Also have three tickets on United for positioning flight from MSP to HOU, paid with credit card. I used the Chase Sapphire for all the purchases. I also have Allianz travel insurance - an annual policy that covers all three travelers. With a letter from a doctor, what are the steps to cancelling the flights and getting some reimbursement? Do I start by asking Air France and United to refund me? (I think that is unlikely, right?) Who is the next in line - Chase trip insurance or Allianz? Any way to get my points back from Air France, since I doubt either Chase or Allianz can help in that arena. Thanks in advance; in over 20 trips taken in the past three years, I have never had to cancel.
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
......Then read your policies to see which will cover those fees best and go from there. Does your annual plan have a cap on benefits? If so it may be better to go with the CSP coverage.
And check if the credit card insurance and/or policy's cover the other 2 when 1 is cancelling for medical reasons.

Have you checked what is costs (in ff miles/cash) to cancel an award flights? That info will be in the ffp rules/web site
Old May 8, 19, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Lhuebner01 View Post
Efrem, what documentation did Allianz need?
A copy of our e-ticket, proof of payment, and a doctor's statement. We also submitted an explanatory statement because the doctor's statement was a complete history of the patient's condition, going back to 1995 (really), most of which was irrelevant to this cancellation and claim because she had traveled to New Zealand in January 2019 (three months before the cancelled trip) with full medical approval and no problems. The statement mentioned the recent change that led to the cancellation, but it didn't emphasize it. We wanted to make sure they saw the relevant part and ignored the rest.

Each document is uploaded individually through their Web interface. Two suggestions:

1. File as soon as you find out that you must cancel the trip. The fine print on our policy says we had 72 hours. I don't know how picky they are about enforcing that, but why find out? There is no need to have all your ducks lined up on Day 1. You can come back and add more documents at any time if you don't have them all yet. Just get the process started.

2. Give your uploaded files descriptive names if they originally had names in inscrutable computerese. That is the name by which they will be listed in the submitted documents list. It will help you, and may help them, if someone can tell what a document is from its file name.
Old May 10, 19, 5:19 am
Moderator: Information Desk & Women Travelers

Programs: DL, AA
Moving from the Information Desk to Travel Products where the insurance experts hang out.

scoow
Co-mod, Info Desk
Old May 10, 19, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The first question is whether OP wants to cancel the trip or whether he might wish to reschedule. If he wants to take this trip later, the approach is to UA & AF. They might waive any fees and rebook. Insurance can't do that. Also, possible they might issue a refund of the cash paid, but unlikely. If they do, it's the easiest & cleanest.

As to which insurance, only you can answer that after reading your two policies carefully. Different policies do exist, so one individual's experience with an insurer might not be the case with another. I would then select the route which provides the largest refund with the least work.

Do watch deadlines. You might need to give notice to both, but only claim against one.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: