Wiki Posts
Search

Annual travel insurance

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Annual travel insurance

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but my family do 2-3 vacations a year. I have never done it before, but I am curious to see if annual travel insurance would be a good thing for us? The cost is as low as $300 (Nationwide) to $700 with Allianz. I am hesitant on both because they seem to cover very little. $5000 in trip interruption and cancellation would barely cover my airplane ticket, let alone everything else. Some of the coverages might be duplicated by our credit cards too. What do you guys think? Scam or worth it. The rental car coverage would wipe out about $100-200 worth of insurance waiver at the rental place, but the other coverage pay out $1000 at best.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What medical- health- medical repatriation do they cover?
That is what you need cover for.
Your domestic health insurance (if any) may not have cover overseas.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mattack4000
What do you guys think? Scam or worth it.
You pay the premium. So it is your call.

But FWIW - even people who travel more than you do may not even have an annual policy.

So is it really necessary?
Old May 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but my family do 2-3 vacations a year. I have never done it before, but I am curious to see if annual travel insurance would be a good thing for us? The cost is as low as $300 (Nationwide) to $700 with Allianz. I am hesitant on both because they seem to cover very little. $5000 in trip interruption and cancellation would barely cover my airplane ticket, let alone everything else. Some of the coverages might be duplicated by our credit cards too. What do you guys think? Scam or worth it. The rental car coverage would wipe out about $100-200 worth of insurance waiver at the rental place, but the other coverage pay out $1000 at best.
We travel full time so find our Allianz policy to be a good investment for peace of mind: $450 for 2 people for one year. We used it once so far for a quick hospital visit.

I'm not sure that it makes sense for 2-3 vacations a year, depending on where you are from and where you are going.

You don't say where home is, but if you are from the US and your vacations are Asia for a month it's one thing...if it's a week in the Caribbean that's quite another.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I think if I get the strip down version, I would basically have it to do the emergency medical coverage. The trip interruption and cancellation are jokes. With the cost being about $200-$400 a year, it might be worth it having that as backup in case of baggage delays
Old May 7, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think if I get the strip down version, I would basically have it to do the emergency medical coverage. The trip interruption and cancellation are jokes. With the cost being about $200-$400 a year, it might be worth it having that as backup in case of baggage delays
If you already have some kind of health coverage at home, start by checking the coverage you have out of area and/or out of the country.

In the USA, traditional health insurance tends to provide worldwide coverage at least for emergencies while managed care of various types doesn't permit much out of network. IIRC Medicare (and presumably Medicaid) is USA only. Some employers cover medical evacuation and repatriation even for leisure travel.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you already have some kind of health coverage at home, start by checking the coverage you have out of area and/or out of the country.

In the USA, traditional health insurance tends to provide worldwide coverage at least for emergencies while managed care of various types doesn't permit much out of network. IIRC Medicare (and presumably Medicaid) is USA only. Some employers cover medical evacuation and repatriation even for leisure travel.
Medicare does not provide any coverage outside the US but some supplementary policies might (mine does). It is usually for emergency care only and transportation to the nearest competent medical facility. You can buy membership in organisations that will provide hospital-to-hospital transport without regard to medical need, otherwise you might have to wait until you have recovered to get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.