FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Pimp my economy seat to sleep better ! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1966315-pimp-my-economy-seat-sleep-better.html)

LAXlocal Apr 21, 2019 10:30 am

Pimp my economy seat to sleep better !

Hi,
i normally fly economy for overseas travel,
Sleeping is important on 8-10 hour flights ,

Right now I have
A black beanie to cover my eyes , more comfortable than eyeshades for me,
Foam earplugs , with a string to attach the 2 of them so the FA can see i have them in.
A face mask i rarely use ,

I just got a foot "cradle" that attaches around the tray table , have not used it yet , normally have used my backpack as a footrest , otherwise my feet will not touch the ground !

What I need :
Something to make the armrest "soft" , I often put the pillow over it , but is there something made to cover the armrest?
Neck rest. I have tried the regular U hoops , a medical foam neck brace , and the fancy brace that you lean your head on and wrap the scarf around your neck.

Do you have any other things to look at ?

Or things that you do , not interested in taking drugs or booze !

Thanks for your ideas on my ramblings :)

PAX_fips Apr 22, 2019 2:19 am

Eyeshades: I prefer those who are not touching my lids.. just "kills" me when I wake up, blink
and it touches eyeballs :(

Armrest: never needed that - but maybe inflatable pillow?

Necktest: I've been trying a lot and the "final" solution for me is the "Eaglecreek Exhale Neck Pillow".
- inflateable to the "sturdyness" I want (changes...)
- adaptable front clip (so it wont move away)
- one side fleece, one side polyester
- cover washable
- packsize is the size of my fist
Yes, it's expensie so to say.. but I rather buy a spare second one before EC hits me again with taking products out of the shop when I need a replacement :}

Not on the list: a somewhat stretchable travel trousers (even if not marketed as such).

freecia Apr 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Long (clean) tube socks over the arm rests? Like the kind for softball or soccer? Cut off the toe if you need to access the ports in the front. Old sweater sleeves might also do the trick or even the entire old sweater for a bit more seat padding.

chipmaster Apr 25, 2019 2:39 pm

For me the instead of ear plugs were/are noise cancellation headphones ( Bose )
Always score the first bulkhead or emergency exit so always use an inflatable ottoman for legs
Always wear compression tights/socks
Generally choose NOT to sleep, look to keep good blood circulation, not let blood pool by sleeping in sit position and drink tons of fluids so you are going every couple hours. Done weekly and able with minimum delay to flip ( key is not to sleep and tons of fluids and avoid economy airplane food at all cost, LOL )

akl_traveller Apr 26, 2019 2:21 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 31022604)
Hi,
i normally fly economy for overseas travel,
Sleeping is important on 8-10 hour flights ,

Right now I have
A black beanie to cover my eyes , more comfortable than eyeshades for me,
Foam earplugs , with a string to attach the 2 of them so the FA can see i have them in.
A face mask i rarely use ,

I just got a foot "cradle" that attaches around the tray table , have not used it yet , normally have used my backpack as a footrest , otherwise my feet will not touch the ground !

What I need :
Something to make the armrest "soft" , I often put the pillow over it , but is there something made to cover the armrest?
Neck rest. I have tried the regular U hoops , a medical foam neck brace , and the fancy brace that you lean your head on and wrap the scarf around your neck.

Do you have any other things to look at ?

Or things that you do , not interested in taking drugs or booze !

Thanks for your ideas on my ramblings :)

Read this thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...requested.html