Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa Original - Check-in M or Check-in L?!?

Old Apr 20, 19, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Looking to make the jump from Samsonite Cosmolite to a Rimowa Original.

I currently have the 81cm in the Samsonite, which carries a whopping 123L. But it's a case of bigger is not better. If I fill it up, it always seems to exceed the maximum 32kg weight limit. If I remove items, then everything slides around.

So hence my concern with choosing the right size this time. I know the Check-in L is only 86L, so a comfortable 30% reduction, but i'm concerned that with the extra weight of aluminium, i'm going to be heading over the weight limit again.

For people who have one or the other, or even both, what are your thoughts on the two sizes?
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I have the 26. Whenever I pack it full, it always hovers around 50-52 pounds. Which is the max weight for U.S. weight limit.
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - this is the type of answer is was hoping for. To clarify, do you have the 73 or 77 model? Do you know what the volume of your case in litres?
Old Apr 20, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: United
I went with a Check-In M. For larger volumes I went with a Trunk. The Trunk has slightly more volume than Check-In L, but has smaller area sides so inherently more resistant to deformation
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by mrpotatohead View Post
Thanks - this is the type of answer is was hoping for. To clarify, do you have the 73 or 77 model? Do you know what the volume of your case in litres?
the volume is 68L. Slightly bigger than the checkin medium.
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:29 am

Programs: M/M
If weight is your primary metric for deciding between the two sizes, I would get the Check-In M.

I own both 67L and 85L model RIMOWA Topas trollies (now the Original Check-In M and L, respectively).

When I use the Check-In M, I typically cube-out before I weigh-out on the trolley (run out of space before hitting the weight limit).

When I use the Check-In L, I have to be more cautious, as I have routinely gone over the typical weight authorizations for checked baggage.

For any extra space I have in my Check-In L, once I reach the weight limit, I use the air pillow packaging (AirSaver, ULine, and MiniAir) that comes in many Amazon packages to ensure the contents inside my bag move around as little as possible.

I use my Check-In L more often, than the "M", since I would rather have the extra space available when I travel and pay the overage fee than not being able to fit anything more at all.
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mrpotatohead View Post
Hi All,

Looking to make the jump from Samsonite Cosmolite to a Rimowa Original.

I currently have the 81cm in the Samsonite, which carries a whopping 123L. But it's a case of bigger is not better. If I fill it up, it always seems to exceed the maximum 32kg weight limit. If I remove items, then everything slides around.

So hence my concern with choosing the right size this time. I know the Check-in L is only 86L, so a comfortable 30% reduction, but i'm concerned that with the extra weight of aluminium, i'm going to be heading over the weight limit again.

For people who have one or the other, or even both, what are your thoughts on the two sizes?
Weight limits in North America are typically 26 kg. Business class and first class could get more. Where do you fly that allows 32 kg?
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SLC_IAH View Post
I went with a Check-In M. For larger volumes I went with a Trunk. The Trunk has slightly more volume than Check-In L, but has smaller area sides so inherently more resistant to deformation
I second this. I have a Check-In M and 2 older style Topas 29". The 29" is right in between the new Original Check-In M and Check-In L. I don't really need a Check-In L but if I do, I would get the Trunk instead. It looks cool and seems like it would make better use of the space. I don't think OP you could go with the Check-in M... it is quite small.. more like a 3 to 5 nights trip type of luggage.
Old May 9, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marco Polo
Originally Posted by simby View Post
Weight limits in North America are typically 26 kg. Business class and first class could get more. Where do you fly that allows 32 kg?
not sure about others but i have Star Alliance Gold from Air Canada and it offers me 3 bags, 32kg per bag for checked luggage.
Old May 9, 19, 7:18 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by simby View Post
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
not sure about others but i have Star Alliance Gold from Air Canada and it offers me 3 bags, 32kg per bag for checked luggage.
DL Diamond Medallion; 3 bags at 70lbs(=32kg) all flights, any class.

Search this Thread