FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Has Tumi pricing gone nuts? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1962973-has-tumi-pricing-gone-nuts.html)

Mellonc Mar 28, 2019 10:45 am

Has Tumi pricing gone nuts?

What's happening to Tumi prices? Over the last year they must have gone up at least 20% with no change in quality. For example, this bag https://www.tumi.com/p/tumi-t-pass-b...k-01173481041/ used to be around $450 just a year ago. and This https://www.tumi.com/p/international...n-01171531041/ was $550 just a year ago........... what is going on? I know samsonite bought this firm about 3 years ago but the private equity guys at CVC Capital must really want to move up to the premium market with this brand. I think, though, it's going to alienate many of us. TPG guys did that to J. crew by jacking up pricing on everything but it had the opposite impact on sales and the darn fashion brand is facing bankruptcy at this point. I really hope they don't do that cuz I like Tumi's FXT fabric - - nicer looking than Cordura but just as tough.

fishy21 Mar 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Glad I am not the only person that feels this way. Their new Alpha 3 line does have some new features, such as built in TSA locks, but I am not sure it justifies the 20-25% price markup.

The Alpha 3 garment bags went up 33%, but I don't see any new features.

chipmaster Mar 29, 2019 9:23 am

Charge what you can and laugh all the way to the bank. At some point the value to name brand can only go so far, its luggage after all, but given how many I see in the far east they have a lot of pricing power for the image concerned there.

ajeleonard Mar 29, 2019 9:29 am

Rimowa put their prices up so Tumi has matched

Dan Dare Mar 29, 2019 10:45 pm

I noticed it too. Went with another brand!!!

hornillas1 Mar 31, 2019 2:21 am

With Tumi owned by Samsonite, and RIMOWA owned by LVMH, you are going to see continued price increases, going forward.

Just as "ajeleonard" mentioned, these two companies are competing for the same customers.

When I participated in the RIMOWA open house tour, several members of management admitted that Tumi is their primary competitor in the market.

Tumi is Samsonite International's 2nd best-selling brand in the company's portfolio (19% of the company's revenue). While Samsonite International has a strong presence in the US (37% of revenue, geographically), the company's sales, in Europe, are only 21% (3rd behind North America and Asia).

RIMOWA is among LVHM's newest "Maisons", but is in a portfolio of other strong performing brands that account for 39% of LVMH's total revenue. LVMH has their best selling market in Europe, at 32%, with the US coming in at 18%.

The strongest and fastest growing market for both groups, Asia.

So long as the Asian market continues to flaunt their growing wealth, each company will continue to respond, in kind.

You'll see continued focus on the Asia market from both companies, with limited attempts to steal marketshare from each company's respective footholds.

Unfortunately, the US is just not a top priority for Samsonite International, when they are already the dominant player.

heraclitus Apr 4, 2019 2:29 pm

So if Rimowa and Tumi are increasingly becoming prestige brands that charge a growing premium just for the labels, what are the next best options that deliver a generally similar product at a lower price point?

hornillas1 Apr 5, 2019 4:22 am

I am not a fan of the inflated retail prices either.

If there is a model I really like, I'll go second-hand and look for models and brands on eBay, Facebook Marketplace and the other App options. It takes more diligence and awareness to monitor, but when the items I want are listed, I make my offer or place my max bid immediately.

For example, I prefer "made in USA" Tumi products, pre-2001. I'll keep an eye out at second-hand stores, eBay and the like and typically purchase bags, at a fraction of what they sold for full retail. That way, I get the specific era Tumi product I want, at the price point that has value to me.

Same goes for RIMOWA, there are plenty of second hand stores throughout Europe that sell vintage RIMOWA, and LV luggage.

Just like any purchase, it all depends on your personal preferences.

If you prefer hard-side, aluminum luggage, and price is an important metric, I would suggest Away luggage.

If Tumi's prices are outside your price range, go down one label in the Samsonite portfolio and check out their range of products.

The options are endless, and with so many subjective metrics that every consumer has, there is never a blanker answer suitable for everyone.

satman40 Apr 5, 2019 5:39 am

Tumi is on sale at Nordstrom Rack everyday at 50% off, and many other outlet stores,

Alohashirt Apr 6, 2019 7:56 am

Tumi used to be a great brand. I purchased my Tumi brief in 2000 and it accompanied me all over the world for many great years. But in 2017, I got the "bright" Idea to replace it. I said to myself, "Self, you deserve an upgrade." So I went into the Tumi store and was smitten with a brief from the "Arrive" collection during their annual sale. The price seemed high to me even at a discount. Nevertheless, I knew Tumi was a quality brand and kept telling myself "you get what you pay for." I wish.

The bag has been okay, but the workmanship is clearly inferior to my old bag. The zippers are cheaper, the leather accents are thinner, and the interior lining is flimsier. Compare any Tumi bag or case to one made 20 years ago and you'll notice the decline. Buying a Tumi piece no longer means you are paying for exceptional quality: You're paying for brick & mortar stores in some of the world's most expensive shopping venues. You're paying for "branding."

Many people who buy luxury brands like Tumi don't want to admit they made a poor choice or overpaid. I often feel foolish for buying my Arrive briefcase. I'd probably feel even more foolish if I sold it for ten cents on the dollar, so I keep it and accept it for the utility piece that it is. Charging more for less seems to be Tumi's business strategy. It's not unlike other travel-related businesses during these times of relative prosperity. People eventually catch on, even in the carriage trade.

There are plenty of alternatives. A number of upstarts are making really high quality bags at prices significantly lower than Tumi.

hornillas1 Apr 7, 2019 5:07 am

When the original founder and owner, Charlie Clifford, decides to part ways with their own creation, thats when I think the original vision ceases to exist.

Which is why you now have a fashion brand from Samsonite that is far from its original values.

RooseveltL Apr 8, 2019 9:49 am

Tumi has become a status symbol and not a practical or logical purchase. It doesn't offer better quality nor is cost justified considering you can get 2 bags of equal quality/appearance missing Tumi label which likely will last longer.
Every so often, someone publishes the comparison of name brand jeans vs. rack brand via Costco and appearance, quality and durability. With maturity and losing vanity - one begins to respect the non-brand owner vs. the brand (Tumi or whatever) with inferior quality.

gengar Apr 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alohashirt (Post 30971503)
The bag has been okay, but the workmanship is clearly inferior to my old bag. The zippers are cheaper, the leather accents are thinner, and the interior lining is flimsier. Compare any Tumi bag or case to one made 20 years ago and you'll notice the decline. Buying a Tumi piece no longer means you are paying for exceptional quality: You're paying for brick & mortar stores in some of the world's most expensive shopping venues. You're paying for "branding."

IME it is collection-dependent. There are clearly some new collections from Tumi that are fashion-oriented and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they sacrifice quality. But the new Latitude line, for example, is certainly better than my prior Tumi polycarbonate offerings, with vastly superior wheels and better handle, zippers, and lock.

peterk814 Apr 11, 2019 8:37 am

Rimowa and Tumi, both came from very good background but now the most overrated luggage brands. Do yourself a favor and buy a BR.

kwise May 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by satman40 (Post 30967411)
Tumi is on sale at Nordstrom Rack everyday at 50% off, and many other outlet stores,

what other stores carry Tumi with discount?
I've seen it in Nordstrom Rack primarily online, limited selection of previous degeneration/styles, saw few things on Costco website here and there, 30% off the most discount though, and in Tumi Outlet stores (where most items are not the full line and were specifically made for outlet store - tricky to figure out what you are getting if you are not familiar with specific style).
I kind of like them updating their styles, but sometimes last year models have better colors, and considering discount makes more sense to purchase it that way.
Always looking for ways to get Tumi with discount :)