Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

55x35x20 carryon available in US?

55x35x20 carryon available in US?

Old Mar 8, 19, 8:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 134
55x35x20 carryon available in US?

I'm going to be stuck on Flybe in May and am looking for a bag that will fit their very tight carry on restrictions, 55x35x20cm, and that is available in the US. Most of the US-sold bags seem to be too large - the only one that really seems to be within those dimensions is a
Cabin Max Cabin Max
. Anyone have any other suggestions? Either a spinner or an extremely light non-wheeled piece with a pass-through sleeve.
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 19, 12:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I 35 south bound, finally stopped
Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
Posts: 899
I dont have one but this looks promising.

https://www.nomatic.com/pages/nomati...hoCiVsQAvD_BwE
boerne is offline  
Old Mar 9, 19, 6:28 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 59
Try these. Also remember Flybe has a combined 10kg weight limit for both your main carry on and personal item.

Eagle Creek Gear Warrior International Carry On

Eagle Creek Gear Warrior International Duffel
1Bag1World is offline  
Old Mar 9, 19, 6:42 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 134
These look great but alas, I already have three non-compliant carry ons and was hoping to spend much less. I should have specified that as well - under $100. Thanks!
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 19, 12:25 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 3,945
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07 View Post
These look great but alas, I already have three non-compliant carry ons and was hoping to spend much less. I should have specified that as well - under $100. Thanks!
Well, if you're looking for cheap and US-available, try eBags. A simple search there for "international carry on", with results sorted by price, pulls up several possibilities under $100. They may not be "last bag you'll ever buy" quality, but for under $100, you're not going to get a Tumi.
https://www.ebags.com/category/lugga...pricelowtohigh
sambagrrl07 likes this.
WillCAD is offline  
Old Mar 9, 19, 12:32 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Well, if you're looking for cheap and US-available, try eBags. A simple search there for "international carry on", with results sorted by price, pulls up several possibilities under $100. They may not be "last bag you'll ever buy" quality, but for under $100, you're not going to get a Tumi.
https://www.ebags.com/category/lugga...pricelowtohigh
I have indeed been looking at eBags's listings for international carryons, especially those for "IATA" airlines - many unfortunately comply with 55x40x20, but not 55x35x20. I'd hoped to get some recommendations here as well. Thanks!
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:39 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 3,945
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07 View Post
I have indeed been looking at eBags's listings for international carryons, especially those for "IATA" airlines - many unfortunately comply with 55x40x20, but not 55x35x20. I'd hoped to get some recommendations here as well. Thanks!
Yes, most of the bags that come up from that search are 20", most of which are greater than 55x35x20cm. But if you look for those labeled as 18" or less, you'll find some that comply with 55x35x20.

For easy reference (since all of the US sellers specify sizes in inches rather than centimeters):
55cm=21.6"
35cm=13.7"
20cm=7.8"

So you're looking for a bag that is 21.6x13.7x7.8 inches or less.

The closest I can give you is a near-recommendation. I have a 21" SwissGear roller that appears to be in the same design family as this one, and I'm very happy with it. It's not built like a tank, but I am not a frequent flier and it works well for me in both air and ground travel. It's well built for the money, roomy, and has good quality zippers and wheels. It's also equipped with a bottom grab handle that makes it easy to put into an overhead compartment with wheels facing out. The one complaint I have is that the soft grab handles on top and side are fitted very tightly to the bag, to keep the size down, but this makes it a little difficult to slip my fingers into the handles.
https://www.ebags.com/product/swissg...uctid=10716957
WillCAD is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:50 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
The closest I can give you is a near-recommendation. I have a 21" SwissGear roller that appears to be in the same design family as this one, and I'm very happy with it. It's not built like a tank, but I am not a frequent flier and it works well for me in both air and ground travel. It's well built for the money, roomy, and has good quality zippers and wheels. It's also equipped with a bottom grab handle that makes it easy to put into an overhead compartment with wheels facing out. The one complaint I have is that the soft grab handles on top and side are fitted very tightly to the bag, to keep the size down, but this makes it a little difficult to slip my fingers into the handles.
https://www.ebags.com/product/swissg...uctid=10716957
I have been eyeing a SwissGear roller so itís good to have your opinion on it - thanks very much! Iím now contemplating wheelless weekender/satchel bags as theyíre lighter and cheaper and all of the dimensions should be usable, as opposed to not counting handles and wheels. Just worried I wonít be able to handle it when itís full. I have costumes and makeup that I need to ensure make it so I prefer to carry them on, in addition to medicine, electronics, etc.
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 5:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 898
Ikea has a carryon bag called Forenkla. The smaller one is 53x34x20 cm. Itís about US$62.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
DragonSoul is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 5:53 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Ikea has a carryon bag called Forenkla. The smaller one is 53x34x20 cm. Itís about US$62.
Thanks - I'll check it out!
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:02 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 134
I ended up getting a Baggallini (yes, very girly of me) with the right dimensions, and weighing a little over a pound:
Amazon Amazon
. It's just light enough for me to carry on my own when full. I went a little over my budget, but am happy with the bag.
sambagrrl07 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread