Headphones with a mic?

Old Feb 24, 19, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Headphones with a mic?

I've tried searching (here, and online) and haven't really found what I'd like, not sure it exists. Comfort noise-cancelling headphones with a mic I can use for online conference calls. I'd like to replace my old trusty logitechs :-) I definitely need over-the-ear headphones, not ear buds or similar. Is this out there?
Old Feb 24, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I don't know if you are looking for a boom mic but I can answer/make calls with my Sony WH-1000XM3. I think most of the Bose do as well (my wired QC-25 could).

The only NC with a boom mic I've seen are aviation headsets and those are pricy. But there may be something out there.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 24, 19, 5:03 pm

Yup, I have the Bose QC 25's (wired) and they do have a mic. They are on Amazon for 174.00. I got mine right before Christmas for 124.00 I use an iPod shuffle for my music, that's old school, I know. I just got a hand-me-down iPhone 6, after I got a hand-me down iPhone 5. Thats just me.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 24, 19, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Apparently, I am looking for a boom mic - thanks! I had no idea what it was called. And yes, those Bose aviation headsets at $995 would probably be perfect :-) But I'm not going to pay that ;-) Now that I'm searching on Amazon for "boom mic" I'm finding some options - looks like there are some gaming options.....

As for old school, I still order CDs, so.....
Old Feb 25, 19, 3:28 am

Programs: *G
The Sony XM3 have a terrible microphone. Everyone on the other end of the line complains to me about it. Microsoft's Surface headphone might be a little better
Old Feb 25, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Blue Parrott, maybe? They don't have ANC like the Bose for your audio, but have a noise cancelling boom mic for audio clarity on the other end. If your priority is phone calls, might be a good choice. If it's more a balance with calls and music/movies, may not be the best choice.
https://www.blueparrott.com/all-prod...ice-desc&pfp=1

EDIT: Or maybe a removable boom mic?
https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/a...206/index.html
Hoyaheel and tentseller like this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
Blue Parrott, maybe? They don't have ANC like the Bose for your audio, but have a noise cancelling boom mic for audio clarity on the other end. If your priority is phone calls, might be a good choice. If it's more a balance with calls and music/movies, may not be the best choice.
https://www.blueparrott.com/all-prod...ice-desc&pfp=1
I have used single ear Blue Parrott's for years as my office headset. Very comfortable (can wear for hours) and good sound quality for phone calls.
Hoyaheel and tentseller like this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I like the look of the Blue Parrot S450 but the reviews aren't that great. I'm just relieved what I've been looking for actually does exist! And also that bluetooth in some cases can be converted to "wired" which is good for me....
Old Feb 25, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
If you already have a Bose QC15/25/35 you might consider a uFlyMike -- I have a dedicated aviation headset, but I know other pilots that have used their products and liked them.

https://uflymike.com/collections/harmony-headset
Hoyaheel and Xlr like this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I don't currently have ANY noise cancelling headsets. I have an old & cheap pair of noise cancelling ear buds that I hate and never use. I am considering a new pair of headsets (to replace regular ear buds) for travel and ALSO need a new mic for my laptop/computer conference calls, so I thought I'd try to save money and combine the purchase if I can find something I want that fits both needs.

Sadly, if I'd thought of this last year, I could have had my FIL's aviation headset - he sold his small plane and all accessories, including bose aviation headsets :-( Ah well, live & learn.....

In general, I've never felt the "need" for noise cancelling. But apparently I'm getting older and crankier and now they sound like a really good idea....
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I have a similar issue in that I like my Sony 1000XM3s, but their mic is horrible.

I just ordered a ModMic 5 from Amazon and will let ya know how it goes later this week!

Amazon Amazon
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:16 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I use the Blueparrot during the day using the hook over ear mode. It is used for web conferencing, phone conversations and I even use that with my smartphone for a quick video.
The audio is not performance vocal quality like my Shenheissers. It is excellent for a voice and the fact that its noise canceling is on the mic end meant that I can talk in public places and the party on the other end is amazed at the lack of background noise that is filtered out.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Search this Thread