Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Found a great personal item: Maxpedition Falcon II

Old Feb 19, 19, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage

First of all: I know in practice it is extremely rare to get your secondary item sized. But, what if...?

Almost all backpacks are 12" or even wider, a few are 11" maybe and anything lower, well, forget it. But there certainly are airlines which mandate 10" here -- Ryanair and United both do (OK the United sizer is 11"). Well, this is certainly narrower than 10" but at the same time, an old 9.1" wide ThinkPad easily fits.

Different airlines have very different depth requirements -- Lufthansa allows 10cm, Air France 15cm, Ryanair 20cm, United almost 23cm. Well, this backpack has an answer to that: three levels of compression via straps .

To be finished with dimensions, length can be a problem but as this review shows the back is bendy enough to be able to squeeze it in a box if necessary.

I ordered a ruck carry handle from All Day Ruckoff to add a great side handle to it (yay, MOLLE).

I will use it as a personal item while flying and as a daypack on the other end. I use a customized Sky Train as my carry on, I will use the Falcon II as personal item and I added the Briggs Riley VP275 next to each other for comparison: https://i.imgur.com/65mRaqw.jpg . It's quite visible that Sky Train is not daypack sized -- but it fits that 13.5" long laptop across and a 20" monitor as well so who am I to complain when I ordered it for that purpose

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 19, 19 at 5:48 pm

Search this Thread