Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Hartmann Warranty Not Honored

Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

A few years back my wife and I bought a pair of Harmann 25" Spinners. The size is perfect for us. The 10 year warranty was a good justification for Harmann's premium price because our frequent air and ship travel has meant replacing bags every few years so we figured these would either last or be repaired for several years. After our last flight home we discover one set of wheel smashed in by rough handling.

Took it in for warranty repair and Hartmann refused, calling it damage and not defect. One could debate that the damage was the result of a defect but why bother. They did offer me 50% off on a replacement but I decided that without a usable warranty the bag was still overpriced.

Fortunately we have an excellent luggage repair company in Phoenix who offered to pop out the dented wheel housing. The bag is again serviceable with only a minor additional scar and my cost for this service was probably less than shipping would have been to send the bag back to Hartmann.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The thread title is incorrect and misleading.

The Hartman warranty is clear and you are not covered. In year one, both damage & defects are covered. Hartman's language expressly includes damage caused by a commercial provider such as an air carrier. For years 2-10, only defects. Thus, no coverage for you.

If your travel insurance covers this, all the better,

But, do remember that this sort of damage would have been covered by your air carrier, but that does typically require a relatively immediate report. I would always file a claim with the carrier because one can't know what will & won't be covered otherwise.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 8, 2019 at 6:25 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
But, do remember that this sort of damage would have been covered by your air carrier, but that does typically require a relatively immediate report. I would always file a claim with the carrier because one can't know what will & won't be covered otherwise.
Air carriers usually exclude wheel damage.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Briggs would cover this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.