Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Luggage wheel broke (Samsonite)

Old Feb 6, 19, 6:41 am
Original Poster

22" carry on that I've had for 5+ years.
The outer rubber part of the wheel cracked and came off, exposing the hard plastic wheel underneath.
it still rolls.

1) how long will the hard plastic last?
2) is it easy to replace the wheel?
Or just buy another luggage?
Old Feb 6, 19, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by snail View Post
22" carry on that I've had for 5+ years.
The outer rubber part of the wheel cracked and came off, exposing the hard plastic wheel underneath.
it still rolls.

1) how long will the hard plastic last?
2) is it easy to replace the wheel?
Or just buy another luggage?
I've replaced the wheels on an old hardcase samsonite spinner where the rubber shed off as you described. It isn't too difficult if you have the right tools (parts, drill, properly sized bit). I just ordered wheels that fit the same dimensions, drilled out the rivet, and used the provided axles that came with the wheel. I did replace all four wheels at the same time and it now rolls better than originally. All-in-all, maybe a 30 minute job so whether it's worth your time is YMMV

The hard plastic lasted for a good amount of time, at least four trips (checked luggage), but definitely was hard to roll.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Any competent luggage repair shop will be able to quickly fix assuming they have the correct parts. I think I was quoted around 30 by a shop in London when a Samsonite 4-wheeler sustained similar damage, but I just opted to buy a new bag.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Any competent luggage repair shop will be able to quickly fix assuming they have the correct parts. I think I was quoted around 30 by a shop in London when a Samsonite 4-wheeler sustained similar damage, but I just opted to buy a new bag.
A bit off topic. On a large duffel bag lost a wheel on my recent trip to India. It was sent a small one man repair shop. Replaced the wheel, sewed up a tear. All for $ 3 ! Moral of the story, go to India ( cost 160000 miles r/t in J.

Search this Thread