I have Aetna but..,

Old Feb 5, 19, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Additional Medical insurance in Japan.

Aetna says I am covered for emergencies but I am wondering if I should buy additional coverage through one of the companies at www.insuremytrip.com? Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 19, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Action

Please follow this thread to its new home in the Travel Products forum, where travel insurance products are generally discussed.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 5, 19, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I have Aetna but..,

should I buy a medical policy for travel in Japan?
Old Feb 5, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I would check with Aetna, they sell a lot of different policies,

i just take my Doctor with me, but if you need medical transportation to the states,, that is another cost..
Old Feb 5, 19, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

My doctor does too but Iím not sure they will not let him in hospital. I need a travel medical policy
i guess.
Old Feb 6, 19, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't rely on what you were told. You really need to read the policy language to determine what is covered and what is an "emergency." What if you need medical evacuation back to the US, what if you can't fly for a month and are stuck in a hotel? What if you are traveling with someone and they need to spend time in a hotel while waiting for you? What if your ticket is in Y, but you need an F/J seat or rebooking to get you home costs a fortune?
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 6, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Your American health insurance probably covers you while you're in Japan (check your policy terms), but you would have to pay out of pocket and then claim reimbursement for whatever your policy covers. Health care costs in Japan are uniform across providers and somewhat cheaper than in the US; for example, short doctor visits (without local insurance) are likely to cost less than $100, whether you go to a small clinic or a large hospital. I used to have the standard national 70% coverage when I lived there, and typically paid $10-20 out of pocket to see a doctor.
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 7, 19, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
After my wife was successfully treated for a major disease, we get Allianz travel insurance for all international trips. Covers pre-existing if bought within two weeks of payment for the trip. Its affordable and great peace of mind. Ironically, we've made three claims-two trip delay one cancelation. Very easy to use. Our base insurance would cover and is in network, but we pay first then reimbursed.
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 9, 19, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I purchased a yearly policy from Geoblue for my husband and me. We have BCBS insurance that does reimburse us for care outside of the US. He travels fairly often INTL for business and we do several trips a year (sometimes combining his business with me joining). Due to the nature of different CC's being used to book flights and hotels I wanted a very clear policy on how one or both of us would get back home in a worst case scenario. The cost to me was very reasonable for my peace of mind.

Search this Thread