Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance

Old Jan 31, 19, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Medical Insurance

My wife and daughter are traveling to Ghana this summer. I am sure they will be fine, however I would like to purchase medical insurance for them in the unlikely event something occurs. Is anyone familiar with a good, reputable company?
Thanks in advance
Mike
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:54 am

Assuming from your username that you're American, before you do anything else find out what your current health insurance covers for overseas trips. You wouldn't want to pay twice for the same coverage or accidentally (pun intended) leave a huge hole between policies.
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Travel insurance is discussed in the FT Travel Products Forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Assuming from your username that you're American, before you do anything else find out what your current health insurance covers for overseas trips. You wouldn't want to pay twice for the same coverage or accidentally (pun intended) leave a huge hole between policies.
Thanks, I will try them first, I don't believe they will cover but worth a look
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is worth some serious time and review. Do not rely on websites or summaries. Rather, the details matter as what is and is not covered is detailed in each policy.

1, Their existing healthcare coverage may well provide some coverage overseas. But, it is unlikely to be what you are used to, e.g., you go to the provider, pay a copay and the rest is billed to your insurance carrier. Rather, more likely that you are required to pay in advance and up front and then go through the task of collecting from your carrier. Because it is unlikely that a provider in Ghana will use standard US medical coding, the task becomes burdensome for you.

2. Consider whether you have air evacuation coverage. This is not just about an air ambulance, but also about flying home on a walk-up fare, perhaps requiring some number of seats. An air ambulance from Africa to FLL could easily cost $200,000+. On the other hand, some policies would pay to evacuate to the closest facility with a suitable treatment profile, e.g., not back to the US. That may save a life, but still means you are stuck somewhere else. Also consider whether there is coverage for you or someone else to fly over and stay. If your daughter is a minor and your wife is hospitalized, even for a few days, who cares for your daughter? What if one of them is released from hospital, but can't travel for a week?

It is worth a thorough review of what might happen and what you need. Comprehensive policies can be relatively cheap, but require time & effort to sift through and compare.
466SHH likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Go to insuremytrip.com - besides trip insurance they also have carriers that sell medical only.
Old Jan 31, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is worth some serious time and review. Do not rely on websites or summaries. Rather, the details matter as what is and is not covered is detailed in each policy.

1, Their existing healthcare coverage may well provide some coverage overseas. But, it is unlikely to be what you are used to, e.g., you go to the provider, pay a copay and the rest is billed to your insurance carrier. Rather, more likely that you are required to pay in advance and up front and then go through the task of collecting from your carrier. Because it is unlikely that a provider in Ghana will use standard US medical coding, the task becomes burdensome for you.

2. Consider whether you have air evacuation coverage. This is not just about an air ambulance, but also about flying home on a walk-up fare, perhaps requiring some number of seats. An air ambulance from Africa to FLL could easily cost $200,000+. On the other hand, some policies would pay to evacuate to the closest facility with a suitable treatment profile, e.g., not back to the US. That may save a life, but still means you are stuck somewhere else. Also consider whether there is coverage for you or someone else to fly over and stay. If your daughter is a minor and your wife is hospitalized, even for a few days, who cares for your daughter? What if one of them is released from hospital, but can't travel for a week?

It is worth a thorough review of what might happen and what you need. Comprehensive policies can be relatively cheap, but require time & effort to sift through and compare.
Agreed, I checked , and my insurance will not cover anything overseas. I definitely don't mind spending the cash now on a policy which will get my family home to proper care (no offense to W Africa, sorry)
Anyone who has ever had experience/bought a policy please feel free to chime in
thanks for all the responses so far
Old Feb 4, 19, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by rubesl View Post
Go to insuremytrip.com - besides trip insurance they also have carriers that sell medical only.
I'll second this, and also suggest checking out tripinsurancestore.com and World Nomads Travel Insurance for medical-only coverage. And a membership with MedjetAssist is good for guaranteeing evacuation all the way back to the US if inpatient hospitalization should be necessary (although it's pricey).
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much , I am looking into all of the options , I really like the medjet so far. And, although it is a bit expensive, I am thinking it is better to have an evacuation paid for and not need it , than to not have it and need it
Once again, very much appreciated and any others chiming in, is appreciated
Old Feb 17, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Travel Insurance Brokers (and vendors/insurers)

First, www.CruiseCritic.com has a reasonably active "travel insurance" section:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...vel-insurance/

And there was recently a Q&A with the owner of www.TripInsuranceStore.com

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...rancestorecom/

We strongly recommend www.TripInsuranceStore.com for assistance in purchasing policies that meet your specific need. They focus on USA-based travelers, but are now starting to offer information and some coverage for others, it seems.

There are deadlines that can differ depending upon the types of coverage you want/need, such as pre-existing conditions, non-traveling family member issues, etc.
It also can matter whether you get "primary" or "secondary" coverage. The second requires that you first submit to any other potential insurer, and wait for a rejection. This can be quite annoying for USA-based travelers on Medicare (as well as some others), as the plain vanilla Medicare almost never covers international travel. Yet one must submit a claim, wait for it to get reject... and only then file the claim with the travel insurer.

We've purchased policies from TIS, and used Travel Insured as the actual insurer. They've paid claims promptly, and without drama/nonsense/delays/etc., including a couple of large claims.

We've also purchased annual coverage from MedJetAssist, but fortunately never had a claim with them. (They have a discount for members of something like AAA, or is it AARP?)
This kicks in only after one is hospitalized as an INpatient (not ER, not Observation) at least 150 miles from home (for USA-based policies, at least). At that point YOU get to decide that you want to be medevac'd to YOUR choice of hospital in home country, such as your nearby regular hospital, or a specialty hospital. No beancounters need chime in, and no local medical staff need to declare themselves not competent to deal with your medical situation. There are a few other details, but those are the biggies. If you aren't an INpatient, no coverage.
At 75th birthday, they require limited medical underwriting, but we aren't (yet!) sure what restrictions there might be. Otherwise, it's just an age-based annual fee (or per-trip fee).

GC
ftlaudmike likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:21 pm

Programs: Sabre/IATA/Tvl Ldrs/AA 1MM/AS 75K/DL DM/MC Plat/HH Gold
Trip-specific products we make available to clients include AIG (Travelguard) and Allianz.

I'm also intrigued by an annual plan Nationwide offers, which seems quite reasonably priced at $79 per year (Trip Pro Deluxe). Haven't really dug deeper than the basic outline of coverage, though.
Old Feb 19, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
In doing my research for a policy for my husband and me I liked GeoBlue the best. They offer a variety of polices. They were not the cheapest but offered the best coverage for our (hopefully never) needs. I liked that they are my primary insurance (not secondary to my US policy), if you use one of their "in network" providers the provider is paid directly and most importantly, medical evacuation expenses up to $500,000. Of course, there are other benefits. We opted for the Trekker plan since we travel internationally several times a year.
Old Feb 19, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Also need input.

I just received a AAA quote for Allianz medical and evac insurance and Costco gave me a quote for AIG Travel Guard? Does anyone have an experience with either?
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the assistance, I ended up getting medjet, and travel Insured international. I know it was overkill, but the peace of mind for me was worth it. They did experience delays, so I am contacting travel insured to see if they qualify for compensation.
Mostly, I am glad that the insurance was not needed
mphall likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ftlaudmike View Post
Agreed, I checked , and my insurance will not cover anything overseas. I definitely don't mind spending the cash now on a policy which will get my family home to proper care (no offense to W Africa, sorry)
Anyone who has ever had experience/bought a policy please feel free to chime in
thanks for all the responses so far
I have used International SOS on multiple trips and been very happy with them. My wife’s former employer (international investment bank) used them and we used them on personal trips. Anyone can buy a policy though. They have regional clinics you can go to or talk to and a 24 hour hotline in the US. I got very sick in Zambia and and my wife got a doctor in the US on the phone. He was worried enough about the symptoms (he thought it might be malaria) that he got the Johannesburg office on the phone and they actually found a doctor near us that was board certified in the US and had a lab that could do the malaria blood smear. They were going to medivac me if they hadn’t found him. He did the tests, ruled out malaria and treated what it was. I was better in a day or so and we continued our trip. On another trip I got moderate food poisoning in Thailand which hit me in Cambodia. They told me what to treat it with and what to look for in worsening symptoms. They had our itinerary and told us if it wasn’t better by the next stop, Hanoi, they had a clinic there I could go to.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: