Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa Topas Stealth 30inch for 1k USD OR full price for other?

Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:28 am
Original Poster

This is one of those good problems to have i guess. I found a store with a stealth topas going for 1k USD (no e tag). I always assumed for check-in luggage I would get cheaper products since I know it'll be treated like crap, but between Tumi, or Rimowa essential, the value in this on-sale unit is there.

So- would you purchase this based on the fact that it's on sale or just pay full price for the Rimowa essential (which is roughly 750 USD non-sale price in my part of the world), knowing full well this will be thrown around in the luggage hold.

------ EDIT------
Just found another offer for a 31in aluminum Topas sport case for 1150USD.

so...it's btn those three, appreciate your opinions!

Last edited by jacklee; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: wording
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I've had my 29" Topas for just over 5 years (so it is now out of warranty) and it has travelled ~600k miles in that time. It has had dings both small and large, frame damage, a lock has broken off, and most recently, one of the wheels broke off. All of these have been repaired by Rimowa at zero cost with the exception of the wheel, which cost me $20 in parts and labour at a non-Rimowa repair shop. I'd say go for it!
jacklee likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: M/M
I purchased mine for $758, at sale price, tax-free, for the RIMOWA Topas Titanium version.

At 30% off MSRP, the value is your call.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:43 am

I would go for the $1k topas, but I paid full MSRP for our two 29" Topas. Keep in mind that in a year or 2, your Topas WILL look like it has been ran over by a few herd of elephants. The essential will probably still look like new a year or 2. BTW, I have seen the Essential Matte Black in person just a few weeks ago and it is not easy to tell that it is plastic from a distance. It actually looks pretty good.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by immaculate
I've had my 29" Topas for just over 5 years (so it is now out of warranty) and it has travelled ~600k miles in that time. It has had dings both small and large, frame damage, a lock has broken off, and most recently, one of the wheels broke off. All of these have been repaired by Rimowa at zero cost with the exception of the wheel, which cost me $20 in parts and labour at a non-Rimowa repair shop. I'd say go for it!
Is that non-Rimowa repair shop you used in SoCal (I see Newport is listed as one of your locations)? If so, would you PM me the location? Our Topas are still under the 5 years warranty but we just had our 2nd luggage wheel housing broke off. I don't think they were made to last. It would be handy to know where to go in a few more years.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Need
Is that non-Rimowa repair shop you used in SoCal (I see Newport is listed as one of your locations)? If so, would you PM me the location? Our Topas are still under the 5 years warranty but we just had our 2nd luggage wheel housing broke off. I don't think they were made to last. It would be handy to know where to go in a few more years.
The non-Rimowa repair shop I used for the wheel was in Taipei during a trip, but I do happen to know an Orange County repair shop that repairs Rimowa (and was previously a Rimowa-authorised shop until the recent LVMH shuffle). I'll PM you the details
Need likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.