Sandals or similar that will last?!

Old Jan 12, 19, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP

Morning all,

i have developed a pointless superpower of late that is “destroying sandals”

i have worn merrell, Kathmandu, orthaheel and Birkenstock’s recently and none has lasted longer than 3 months

when i’m travelling I like to walk in sandals (so need a degree of comfort) but i’m not running marathons in them or doing stuff like getting them wet jumping off boats etc

i prefer a toe post, and need an ankle strap (due to qantas dress code restrictions)

all suggestions gratefully received!
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:28 am

Why do you prefer a toe post sandal? Me personally thinks they get uncomfortable during long walks and you always risk developing a blister in between your toes which is not very pleasant. Regarding Quantas lounge dress requirement they apparently only ban the flip flop type shoe with a slim band covering your fot. But they do accept slides and sandals that cover a little more on top of the foot. Some examples are given in this image here:

So it appears that ankle support is not required! Personally I think this distinction between these different type sandals are a bit silly. What makes one type more offensive then the other ones?

What type of sandals are you looking for? The more dainty lady like ones or more rugged sporty ones? If you really want a practical and comfortable for long walks sandal then I would recommend a Teva sandal for instance this

Amazon Amazon
My fave color is the aqua blue one, same as worn by the lady in the picture. Looks nice enough even with a summer dress for a night out yet practical and comfy... I bought these for my sister and she loves them. It is her vacation shoes.

Old Jan 13, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply

I’m not sure why I prefer the toe posts but always have done, have never managed to get on with a lot without (not sure why). Never rub on me either even though every other kind of shoe rubs all over the place. Not sure!!

these are my stock standard merrells that i’ve burnt through 4 or 5 pairs of in the last couple of years

re qantas club...yes I know what the dress code says but after far too many conversations about whether my Birkenstock’s without ankle strap were acceptable or not, I decided to just gracefully acquiesce (although even with ankle strap some of the lounge guardians give you a sideways look and say things like “don’t do it again”. The prime minister’s just banned thongs from Citizenship ceremonies as well so maybe that most Australian of footwear is actually now considered passé?!

will have a look at your brand and see if anything catches my eye
Old Jan 13, 19, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Heavy duty sandals that are comfortable (to me) for some walking (some styles better than others...) Dansko (Elena my favorite - haven't found a current replacement yet), Taos, Ecco, Birkenstock (I can wear for years but apparently you kill them, so, moving on ;-) I can't wear Merrells anymore, and Keen sandals don't work well on me (though I love Keen boots up a half size). I can wear some Tevas but don't love a water sandal all the time. Fitflop & Vionic are super comfy but some styles hold up better over time than others....
Old Jan 14, 19, 1:33 pm

Do you really wear through a pair of Birks in 3 months? I have like 7 pairs of Birkenstock and the oldest pair is still very wearable just super dirty on the leather and top cork. Do you walk like 10 miles a day? You could replace the sole on Birkenstock for like $40 if the sole is what worn out.
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:03 am

Classic Teva sports sandals ... I took them on a 4 month around the world trip and lived in them for the next couple years (on many hikes etc).

The only reason I stopped using them was they started to smell (the old models had a particular type of rubber that caused them to smell .. they now have Microban treatment)

Not toe capped though ... I can't vouch for their toe capped models (they look good though ... I might try them out when my current ones wear out)
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Do you really wear through a pair of Birks in 3 months? I have like 7 pairs of Birkenstock and the oldest pair is still very wearable just super dirty on the leather and top cork. Do you walk like 10 miles a day? You could replace the sole on Birkenstock for like $40 if the sole is what worn out.
i’m not 100% sure on my shoe anatomy to explain but essentially the two layers of sole peel away from each other, usually within 1-2 months. I string them out for up to 12 months (due to them being a bit pricey to replace!) with super glue but it’s like a weekly to fortnightly game of gluing the sole back on and eventually it gets to daily and I lose the will to live with it

the merrells and orthaheel both had a foamy kind of “insole” that perished under the ball of the foot within 1-2 months- again, I strung them out for a couple of months with glue and tape but it was highly suboptimal

i do my 10000 steps or so every day and on holiday can easily double that or occasionally get up to 40k although that’s only 20km or so and not on a hugely regular basis. The wear rate seems to be fairly constant whether i’m at home or on holiday

i may have some kind of unusual walking pattern that contributes but beyond that I would classify myself as a fairly average user. I’m around 60kg so i’d like to believe that’s not the issue either. I burn through my work Skechers fairly quickly as well (around 12 months wear), but that’s another different wear pattern primarily around the lining of the heel

when I had an office job and was wearing stilettos all the time they would last me years

not sure!
Old Jan 15, 19, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
Not toe capped though ... I can't vouch for their toe capped models (they look good though ... I might try them out when my current ones wear out)
I'm bummed teva hasn't had a toe-capped version for women in years :-( As I noted - Keen sandals don't work for me. Had a toe-capped teva in the early aughts and wore until I couldn't glue together any more :-( For wet hiking where I used to wear the teva and still want some toe protection, I now have
Chaco outcross evo 2 Chaco outcross evo 2
Old Jan 15, 19, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
I’m not 100% sure on my shoe anatomy to explain but essentially the two layers of sole peel away from each other, usually within 1-2 months. I string them out for up to 12 months (due to them being a bit pricey to replace!) with super glue but it’s like a weekly to fortnightly game of gluing the sole back on and eventually it gets to daily and I lose the will to live with it

I think that's probably unique to the thong type of sandals. I think thong on the birks go thru the top layer but not thru the sole. So if you toes are pulling up on the thong, it would try to separate the 2 layers. I wear the non-thong birks (arizona) and never seen the 2 layers separate. Maybe you could find a good local cobbler and see if he/she could reinforce a pair of sandals that you like. A while ago I had a pair of sandals that I really like but the top layer was completely destroyed by my feet and rain. A local cobbler was able to repair it and put a top layer of leather for faction of the cost of a new pair.

If you don't mind wearing EVA material sandals, I would also recommend the Birks EVA lines. I have a pair of EVA Arizona and loved them. I bought them for Costa Rica because it is wet all the time and cork and water does not mix. But ended up wearing them quite often because they are super comfortable. I think they made the thong version called Gizeh EVA but it doesn't have back strap though:
https://www.birkenstock.com/us/gizeh...=3720#start=24

Last edited by Need; Jan 15, 19 at 8:50 am
Old Jan 25, 19, 3:42 pm

Chaco Sandals! When I travel for leisure, I always pack Chacos and running shoes. I can wear Chacos, with or without socks, with khakis, shorts or to the beach. Have three pairs, all from the original shop in Paonia, Colorado. Great, classic design.
Old Jan 26, 19, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
Chaco Sandals! When I travel for leisure, I always pack Chacos and running shoes. I can wear Chacos, with or without socks, with khakis, shorts or to the beach. Have three pairs, all from the original shop in Paonia, Colorado. Great, classic design.
you’ll be pleased to hear they’re already on my shortlist 😉
Old Jan 26, 19, 7:49 am

I don't have the sandals, but will note the Chaco water shoe/sneaker I have (link in earlier post) has not held up very well. Sole started separating from top within 3 months.....
Old Jan 26, 19, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
I don't have the sandals, but will note the Chaco water shoe/sneaker I have (link in earlier post) has not held up very well. Sole started separating from top within 3 months.....
DO NOT BUY the regular ones off the rack from Chaco or any store! The newer ones have come with complaints. Buy the ones from the custom shop only. Like I posted, mine are from the old Colorado manufacturing factory, no problems in MANY YEARS. I recently spoke with one of the Managers at Chaco and he 'suggested' if I want another pair, to order from the Custom Shop. Others in forums have said the same. Also, buy only their Colorado sole or their Terreno sole, both made by Vibram. Their hybrid sole is proprietary and is frankly, not that good! Enjoy your Chacos!
Old Jan 26, 19, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
you have the power too!
Dianne47 likes this.

Search this Thread