Reload this Page >

Mosquito Proof Clothing?

Mosquito Proof Clothing?

Old Jan 12, 19, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Mosquito Proof Clothing?

Hi all,

Heading out to Asia next month and am exploring various male pants or shirts that are mosquito proof. Can anyone recommend such clothing?

I saw on Amazon that some clothing have some sort of chemical on it which helps, but not sure I want to walk around with chemical-based clothing.

The best shirts I have found are long sleeve by Columbia, and they look good as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/comments.
Old Jan 12, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Spray with permethrin. Works great. Lasts through a few washes as well.

Otherwise, ANY clothing that covers your body is going to protect you against mosquitos, esp if you're applying DEET on your skin.

Mosquitos love me and I wear "regular" clothing that I spray with permethrin and DEET on my own skin.....
84fiero and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 2:37 pm

The only thing that makes clothing "mosquito proof" is the chemical (usually permethrin) that's washed into the fabric. Any clothing advertised as repelling or resisting mosquitoes will use permethrin or a similar synthetic pyrethroid insecticide/repellent. You can buy kits to wash permethrin into your own clothes as well.

Permethrin on clothes works. For regular "bug spray" the only active ingredients that actually work are DEET and Picaridin, both of which can be applied to skin or clothes. DEET is cheaper and lasts longer in high concentrations. Picaridin smells better and won't dissolve plastic. 100% DEET is nice for travel because a little bit goes a long way--I've been using the same 100mL bottle for a couple years because it literally takes 10-20 drops to keep the mosquitoes away. The downside is that if it leaks it dissolves stuff; a little bit out of my bottle turned a ballpoint pen into a weird black sludge.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Another vote for sparying your clothes with Permethrin. Works like a charm. I did a bit of reasearch and really liked the Sawyer products.
Amazon Amazon
84fiero and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Another vote for sparying your clothes with Permethrin. Works like a charm. I did a bit of reasearch and really liked the Sawyer products. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=emc_b_5_t
I think that's what we use for our clothing. Works great against ticks too (my husband is often working in tick-infested areas, so he sprays his socks & underwear a couple times during the summer and it's helped a LOT at keeping ticks off him....)
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Both Columbia and ExOfficio make clothing with mosquito protection integrated within the fabrics. I believe they advertise that the insect repellent lasts for 70 washings. ExOfficio also makes hats and bandanas in their "Bugsaway" fabrics. You also want to stick with lighter color fabrics, mosquitos are attracted to dark materials. I'm the first person bitten, always, and these fabrics work for me. I also make sure to wear DEET repellent on my feet and hands, plus use mosquito coils (a type of incense) if sitting still for any length of time, such as at restaurants.

I've never tried Permethrin spray because I travel with carry-on luggage and a spray bottle wouldn't pass security inspection.
Old Jan 13, 19, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
...I've never tried Permethrin spray because I travel with carry-on luggage and a spray bottle wouldn't pass security inspection.
You spray your clothes before you leave home. No need to carry it with you as the protection lasts for six weeks or six washings.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Not really a fan of DEET....I did have some natural spray which I used last time I was in St Croix USVI and that worked well. However, with Asia, I am thinking of going all long sleeve hence asking for companies that offer these type of clothing. I'll check out ExOfficio
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan
People who refuse to use DEET or Permethrin belong in the same category as anti-vaccers. There isn't a natural product that comes close to either. A temporary exposure to repellents that have been proven safe over decades is far preferable to malaria, Zika, West Nile, Lyme's Disease, yellow fever, dengue or a host of other mosquito and tick borne diseases.

And DEET wipes do not count against your liquid allotment in a carry on bag.

If one absolutely can't abide at the thought of clothing infused with Permethrin the only practical alternative are mesh bug jackets, pants and hats, etc.
84fiero and der_saeufer like this.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jan 14, 19 at 8:27 am
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
People who refuse to use DEET or Permethrin belong in the same category as anti-vaccers. There isn't a natural product that comes close to either. A temporary exposure to repellents that have been proven safe over decades is far preferable to malaria, Zika, West Nile, Lyme's Disease, yellow fever, dengue or a host of other mosquito and tick borne diseases.

And DEET wipes do not count against your liquid allotment in a carry on bag.

If one absolutely can't abide at the thought of clothing infused with Permethrin the only practical alternative are mesh bug jackets, pants and hats, etc.
As an added bonus, the above pictured attire is a huge hit with the ladies!

Add me as another Permethrin fan. Plus it's affordable and easy to make your existing articles of clothing resistant by spraying, vice buying pre-treated garments. And you can't really do better than DEET for on-skin repellant, in my experience.
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:50 am

BTW if you take clothes that has integrated repellant, then you need to wash them separately from your other clothes.

Else the effectiveness goes down a lot faster.