Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

A lot of carriers have a 22x14x9 limit - is this absolutely strict?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking at the new Rimowa Cabin carry-ons, and they're basically 22x16x9. So it would seem the width is slightly larger than what's allowed.

Is this strictly enforced? Can anyone report carrying on their Rimowa Cabin on any airline with no issue?

I was picking between the Arlo Skye black aluminum carry-on, which is exactly 22x14x9, or this. After consideration I think I'd rather have the Rimowa, but only if I can actually carry it on to most airlines.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Depends on the carrier, as well as sometimes the gate agent, the type of ticket or boarding group (e.g., they tend to be more strict with latter boarding groups or those on "basic" or highly restricted budget fare classes).. Where do you typically fly and what do you mean by "most airlines?" Which are your typical carriers? If anywhere outside North America, my general experience is that 22" carry-ons are considered large.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:39 pm

No, it's not strict. I have a bag that's just within the 22x14x9 limit, and on literally every flight, I see passengers carry noticeably larger bags.

Having said that, if you fly frequently enough, a by-the-book agent is going to catch up to you. While I agree with @gobluetwo I've noticed GAs (especially on American Airlines) be stricter with the early boarding groups. Gate agents will get the first few folks to size their bags. Then, as the line grows longer and more passengers get anxious to scan their BPs, the GAs drop the schtick.

With an oversize bag, the worst case is you'll be forced to check the bag and pick it up at baggage claim. So just be sure you can quickly grab any essentials out of the bag, if it comes to that.

Edit to add. Some years ago at PHL, I was stopped in the ticketing area -- as I was walking to the TSA line -- by an AA agent who demanded I size my bag. It fit, and I was on my way, but it very much felt like a sting operation.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Depends on the carrier, as well as sometimes the gate agent, the type of ticket or boarding group (e.g., they tend to be more strict with latter boarding groups or those on "basic" or highly restricted budget fare classes).. Where do you typically fly and what do you mean by "most airlines?" Which are your typical carriers? If anywhere outside North America, my general experience is that 22" carry-ons are considered large.
I don't fly frequently, although I plan to travel more frequently in the new year (maybe 5 trips or so, mostly domestic, one planned international). Domestically I'm on Alaska and Southwest a lot, and their limits appear fine for my needs, but I also fly United (points) and they seem to have one of the smaller size restrictions.

I've been carrying a Filson Medium duffel bag as my main travel bag that I carry on. Never stuffed to the brim but I've never had any issues with this bag. I guess it's harder to instantly gauge the size of a duffel versus hard luggage.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:47 pm

Enforcement is very rare within the US so you should be fine domestically.

But 22x14x9 is too large for most non-US carriers - so keep this in mind if you plan to fly internationally on foreign airlines. This is especially relevant for LCCs or even legacy carriers' 'hand baggage only' fares where part of the airline's revenue by design comes from catching people with oversized bags and charging them a hefty fee for checking the bag at the gate.

Also, don't Rimowas have a reputation for being heavy bags even when empty? Some carriers have quite strict weight limitations for carry-ons, and Rimowas are easy to target due to their distinctive appearance.

Last edited by Agneisse; Jan 3, 2019 at 12:11 am
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: M/M
I liked the comment I heard from one flight attendant on an LCC, "Let's be real, we all know your designer carry-on is fake or you are living outside your means, because if that wasn't the case, you wouldn't be flying (said LCC) and this would never be an issue flying first class on a legacy airline."

The only carriers I've encountered with strict weight limits for carry-ons were LCCs. If you can't afford to check the heavy RIMOWA or another high-end piece of luggage, you should have never bought it in the first place.

Also known as, cost of ownership.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Depends on many factors: Airline, class of service, how full is aircraft, mood of check-in/gate agents.

I have a 26" Tumi (26x18x10) that I brought onto several flights simply because I was too late to the airport to do baggage drop and I already checked in on my phone. I was flying F so they put it in a closet for me.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by davie355
Edit to add. Some years ago at PHL, I was stopped in the ticketing area -- as I was walking to the TSA line -- by an AA agent who demanded I size my bag. It fit, and I was on my way, but it very much felt like a sting operation.
Last year I was in DFW carrying an extra carry on for my mom who was already on the other side of security. There was an AAgent wearing a blue vest who attempted to stop me from getting into the security line saying "two bags only." I ignored her, and got into line, she tried persisting, and I told her to get a law enforcement officer if she wanted me to leave the line, she then left me alone.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Rimowa cabin bags all tend to be well within restrictions.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Rimowa cabin bags all tend to be well within restrictions.
but not within my budget!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by hornillas1
I liked the comment I heard from one flight attendant on an LCC, "Let's be real, we all know your designer carry-on is fake or you are living outside your means, because if that wasn't the case, you wouldn't be flying (said LCC) and this would never be an issue flying first class on a legacy airline."
I fly business when transatlantic but why on earth would I waste my money on that within Europe? Especially because the network of LCCs now far surpasses legacy carriers'. Like, the last few years I often needed to get to Nottingham and Luton or East Midlands Airport is closest and legacy carriers don't fly to either. Similarly, I've just spent a few days in Leicester and Cambridge and Stansted is just a short train ride from the latter, while Heathrow and Gatwick is hours away so I've just flown Ryanair from there... Maybe my carry on is not designer, only a custom made Red Oxx Sky Train which is not exactly a cheap bag. (And I am in the design process of a very neat mini messenger bag custom made by 1377. I love custom bags, what can I do.)

Also, I vividly remember when Air Canada used to weigh carry ons at the business check in. (That was so monumentally stupid they stopped it quick but still.)

So, no, there are many levels of wealth and this sort of generalization is like "if you don't like it, rent a private jet".

Last edited by chx1975; Jan 21, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It is not absolutely strict right up until the moment the airline decides to enforce it which they will do occasionally. I've gone to a B&R Commuter which is slightly smaller than the maximum dimensions and even when the gate dragons are on the prowl it has never been stopped anywhere including Europe and Asia. I might not have as much stuff but it always stays with me.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ngomaam
I'm looking at the new Rimowa Cabin carry-ons, and they're basically 22x16x9. So it would seem the width is slightly larger than what's allowed.

Is this strictly enforced? Can anyone report carrying on their Rimowa Cabin on any airline with no issue?

I was picking between the Arlo Skye black aluminum carry-on, which is exactly 22x14x9, or this. After consideration I think I'd rather have the Rimowa, but only if I can actually carry it on to most airlines.
A few years ago we got the Rimowa Salsa cabin which is just under the 22x16x9 because we didn't want to deal with any oversize problem. Since then, I have yet to see anyone with a smaller carry-on luggage (not bag but rolling luggage) than ours. Unless all of them are paying oversize fees, I say they don't enforce it much. I have seen people with hiking backpack that is bigger than our 26" check in luggage. But I guess it contains mostly clothing inside so they could probably squeeze the whole thing into the sizer if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.