Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance Q re: using if surgery may force cancel trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL

I was smart enough to buy Travel Insurance for self and spouse via one offered by Delta at time I booked trip with spouse to Thailand end of April 2019 (booked and simultaneously bought insurance from Delta in summer 2018 and booked Gate 1 land only tour; waived travel insurance since bought via Delta). Managed to tear rotator cuff in September (didn't know until MRI in December) and while PT has been good, probably will need surgery in March. Surgeon noted that IF she finds tear is worse than what MRI shows, I should NOT travel to Thailand as I will need longer recovery time. Delta policy (via 3rd party) seems to cover about $774 max per person for cancel of flights/trip. I have $400 paid so far to Gate 1 (rest not due until about time of surgery) and the air tickets for wife and self was about $725 each (noting that we could cancel and re use what we paid less I believe $350 re ticket fee on each. Thus IF I play it safe and have surgeon do write up now and cancel trip with Gate 1 (would plan to do a different one...I've done 27 so far with them) and Delta my thinking is with documentation Insurance would cover the out of pocket costs to max!
Anyone offer some advice/experiences to help guide me on this?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:52 am

I can't help you with this one but for future reference mt advice is to avoid airline's insurance and always go thru one of the many companies on "Insuremytrip.com". I would fear an airline's insurance benefits them the most at my expense.

The policies offered from Insuremytrip.com cover as little or much as you want to include emergency medical evacuation home, cancelling a trip, etc.

Just a suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.