Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen luggage tags???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Stolen luggage tags???

I wanted to know if this happens to others. I have my AA EXP name tag stolen year after year from my checked luggage and can't understand why. On trip last month from DPS - SIN I had my tag on when I checked the bag and it wasn't there when I got the bag at SIN. Between Bali & Singapore luggage handlers I think that it was most likely removed in the first airport.

I'm trying to understand the logic behind person that steals them. Does the person collect luggage tags or did the person wanted stainless steel luggage tag ring?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Have you seen the price for upper tier FF tags on eBay?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
TSA. A few years ago WN gave me a nice metal bag tag with my RR# on it; it mysteriously disappeared from my bag at the destination.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Have you seen the price for upper tier FF tags on eBay?
Out of curiosity I searched completed auctions on Flebay and dont see any sold tags.

What use are they sold to someone on Flebay if they have my name and my FF number on them? The only thing they help with is to identify you in a large crowd when GA calls people and other than that they serve no purpose.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
First, are you sure they are stolen and not just ripped off in the baggage handling process? Secondly, there are reports of people who think that having a shiny tag is the key to lounge access - hence why there is a market for them (discounting collectors of air related memorabilia).
nancypants and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, mine was attached to my bag's handle via a TSA lock; in retrospect I see I should have used a real lock instead of one of the TSA-openable ones I had lying around the house.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The value of the tag on sale may be a significant sum to some baggage handlers - particularly as they know the owners can just get a free replacement.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
First, are you sure they are stolen and not just ripped off in the baggage handling process? Secondly, there are reports of people who think that having a shiny tag is the key to lounge access - hence why there is a market for them (discounting collectors of air related memorabilia).
I use stainless steel tag holders that have a screw in that connects opposing sides. I dont think it can be ripped off, maybe the plastic wrap tag holders can be ripped off with a lot of force but not stainless steel.

In the past it happened in US, I don't remember particular trip but it was 2 segment trip from regional airport and passed thru a lot of baggage handlers. I could see someone thinking they can get something out of AA luggage tag domestically. Last month it happened leaving Bali and I just dont see logic in Balinese luggage handler trying to sell AA luggage tag on Fleabay for $10.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:36 pm

It is your stainless steel wire ring that caused the problem. I had 4 of those and every single one of them broke within 2 or 3 trips. The breaking point is always at the end of the wire connecting to the screw connector. Basically the connector came off the wire. I only lost 1 luggage tag (and it was a cheap one), the rest of them broke while the luggage was with me.

I only got them because I thought they look cool.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
It is your stainless steel wire ring that caused the problem. I had 4 of those and every single one of them broke within 2 or 3 trips. The breaking point is always at the end of the wire connecting to the screw connector. Basically the connector came off the wire. I only lost 1 luggage tag (and it was a cheap one), the rest of them broke while the luggage was with me.

I only got them because I thought they look cool.
I doubt it was what you describe. Perhaps the brand of stainless steel rings you've used was bad but not the one I've used. My rings are very solid and have 82% 5 star & 9% 4 star reviews on Amazon which is pretty high for any product. I can probably lift my luggage using these rings and they will not rip. What kind of force and under what circumstances would cause for stainless steel to be ripped? The only way your scenario would work out is if somehow during baggage handling my steel ring got stuck somewhere in conveyor belt and got pulled by continuous mechanical force. If this would happen there would be a lot of friction on the luggage handle where steel ring is attached and I would've notice damage.

Amazon Amazon

As an experiment I will attach generic tag + another AA EXP tag and see if none, one or all disappear over time.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer
I doubt it was what you describe. Perhaps the brand of stainless steel rings you've used was bad but not the one I've used. My rings are very solid and have 82% 5 star & 9% 4 star reviews on Amazon which is pretty high for any product. I can probably lift my luggage using these rings and they will not rip. What kind of force and under what circumstances would cause for stainless steel to be ripped? The only way your scenario would work out is if somehow during baggage handling my steel ring got stuck somewhere in conveyor belt and got pulled by continuous mechanical force. If this would happen there would be a lot of friction on the luggage handle where steel ring is attached and I would've notice damage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

As an experiment I will attach generic tag + another AA EXP tag and see if none, one or all disappear over time.
That's the same one I got from Amazon (you have purchased this on xxxx). If you look at the 3rd picture, you see the adapters on both ends of the wire? That adapters are clamped on. If you pull hard enough they came out from the wire. I guess you do have to pull very hard; I have not tried to break one myself, but that's where it came out on mine. Maybe my luggage were just very roughly handled. I have Rimowa topas and the aluminum case looks like they have been ran over by a herd of elephants in under 2 years. I just took my luggage back to Rimowa to fix the wheel housing, the guy took a look at all the dings and dangs and said if I want them to try to hammer them out... I said "why bother, they will just come back in a trip or 2."
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:47 pm

Those rings come unscrewed, as well - unless you put a drop of Loctite on them when you screw them together. I also have the same ones and use them for some custom aluminum tags on my checked suitcases and for my brag tags on my backpack. I was constantly finding them loose, but a drop of Loctite fixed that right up.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:41 pm

I would say that brag tags as I call them can be very useful if you are young woman since you lessen the chance that someone will question you (yes some airport workers are that sexist, I have seen it myself) if you are in the correct line or not when checking in or boarding. You can get better treatment if you flaunt one of these tags on your fancy bag. Also if you fly economy with one of these on a nice expensive bag and also dress nicely, the cabin crew who notice it might make the assumption you are just flying economy because it was a last minute booking but that you normally fly business class. If they make that assumption there is a chance you will be better treated with regards to service on board.

So yes there is some use for these in certain circumstances. But generally they are just for show or bragging rights!
Aileron likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:50 am

Years ago I bought a tag that looked like a big red Lego brick which made it really easy to spot my bag. Sadly when I dropped my bag in Cancun it was on said bag but when I picked it up at ORD it was not. At least that tag didn't have my personal info in it. I bought a new one but have been hesitant to use it for fear it'll disappear as well. I should go buy a few more since I see the price has dropped since I bought the replacement a couple years ago.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:09 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
There must be a thing where someone is collecting attractive luggage tags. Anything cute, stainless or cool has been taken. Now I just use the Scotch 3M self-laminating tag kits with a business card or a card with my contact into written in sharpie. Nice tags are reserved for carry-on bags that have no chance of even being gate-checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.