Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives to rolling carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Alternatives to rolling carry on?

About once-twice a month I fly from DFW to YYZ for 3-4 days, so I only need a small carry on suitcase + a backpack that fits under the seat. Over half the time, however, by the time I'm boarding they begin checking all rolling suitcases. Does anyone have any carry on luggage recommendations that aren't rolling suitcases? Is anyone else carrying different luggage to get around being forced to check their carry on at the gate? Duffel bags?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Independent
It's not the fact that it has wheels or not, but whether it is an overhead bin item or underseat. If it won't fit under the seat, they will force you to check it.

You're not going to get around that if they force you to check bags. If you are consistently asked to check your bag (and it isn't oversized) then you are probably always boarding last. Are you group 9? That means you are purchasing the basic economy tickets and they don't include an second cabin bag. In that case, spend a little more for main cabin tickets. Otherwise, try choosing a seat further back in the plane. That means you will get one a little bit earlier, and have a better chance at not running out of room.

If you travel that route twice a month, though, have you joined AAdvantage? By the end of the year, supposing you meat the minimum spend requirements, you should get at least gold status and that will give you earlier boarding.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

They're literally saying "checking all rolling carry on luggage", and they're definitely allowing people with non-rolling luggage to board with it, since I don't think the bins are actually full yet. I'm flying non-rev so I'm usually boarding in group 6.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Look at www.tombihn.com. They have some good bags that fit under the seat. You can also check www.redoxx.com they to have bags that might be of interest to you.
brp1264 and GadgetFreak like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Red Oxx would be my choice. Either the Air Boss or Mini Boss. I have both. The Mini Boss is my preference for short trips (3-4 days). On trips like that I don't take any other bag.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:55 am

Are you looking for 1 bag to hold everything or just a 2nd bag for clothes and such? If you have your gear in the backpack and just want something for clothing & toiletries, anything that looks small enough should be fine so a duffel bag, weekender, etc. I'd say the RedOxx Mini isn't a good choice as its designed more for 1 bag use (gear + clothes) while the TB bags are bit more generic in that sense (less organization, no dedicated laptop area, etc). Personally I find anything that looks like a briefcase type pack generally get's ignored when boarding.

If you are looking to consolidate to 1 bag for everything, the TB and RedOxx options are good fits along with multiple travel backpacks. I would say most bags that are 35L or less won't get a second glance, should fit in any overhead and possibly under the seat. Depending on how you pack, your size, etc, you could probably handle 3-4 days with that size. I can do 2 nights plus gear in a TB western flyer and its only 26L.
powerlifter likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Agree with what the other posters say here.

I don't usually have to worry about boarding last, but sometimes I am on a small ERJ-145 where they don't allow any rolling luggage at all.

My solution to that is to use a Red Oxx Air Boss bag with clothes and toiletries in the two side compartments with an Everki briefcase inside the center compartment for my computer.

When I get on the plane, I pull the Everki bag out and goes under the seat in front of me, and then the Red Oxx can squeeze into any size overhead compartment.

When I get to my destination, the computer bag comes out, I throw the Air Boss shoulder strap on the computer bag, and then leave the Air Boss in the rental car trunk or hotel.

Pics of it here: https://imgur.com/a/UsaKtTZ
powerlifter likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:52 am
vga

Programs: yes
Well, you need a small duffel or backpack (As i prefer). I ordered recently a combo of duffel and backpack from this brand (highonleather.com) and so far it turns out nice and not that heavy. Maybe this will help.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:40 pm

How big is your roller? Is it actually "carry on" size. A lot of rollers that are advertised as carry ons actually will not fit in that little box thing at the boarding area.

When you say they are letting people with non rollers board with their luggage do they have two pieces of luggage or just one? It's quite odd that they would say no rollers but still let people board with two pieces of luggage.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
How big is your roller? Is it actually "carry on" size. A lot of rollers that are advertised as carry ons actually will not fit in that little box thing at the boarding area.

When you say they are letting people with non rollers board with their luggage do they have two pieces of luggage or just one? It's quite odd that they would say no rollers but still let people board with two pieces of luggage.

I’ve heard them say no more rollers a lot. And I have stuffed my Tom Bihn Tristar or Red Oxx Skytrain in lots of odd spaces that a rigid roller wouldn’t have gone in. I would stick with those brands. They make multiple bags with or without backpack straps and in different sizes. Take your pick.
powerlifter likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:19 pm

Got rid of an Andiamo Valoroso 22 inch roller years ago. A great roller. Replaced it with a Red Oxx Air Boss with Tom Bihn Absolute Strap. Added two Red Oxx Compression Straps few years later. THIS is my go to carry on, bullet proof, easy to carry bag Bonus... LIFETIME GUARANTEE. Highly recommended.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:35 am

I’m a Red Oxx Skytrain user

Based on the original poster’s description, I would strongly recommend Red Oxx. I use a Skytrain because I like the hideaway backpack straps and how functional it is. I also use large packing cubes. Never had a problem with regional flights.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:29 pm

Try something like the Henty garment backpack, it has a suitcase and additional compartments to store your stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.