Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wedge/Posture Cushions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Wedge/Posture Cushions

Does anyone have experience traveling on planes with a wedge/posture cushion (this type of cushion)? If so, have they made a difference in terms of reducing fatigue or discomfort? Also, are they practical (e.g. carrying around, fitting in the seat, do they raise you too high in the seat, etc.) to use?

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find any threads on the use of wedge/posture cushions. I understand it's no doubt a personal preference thing, but any information or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for any help.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
What do you need it for? Specific back issues? Some medical reason?

Not being flippant, it's a serious question, I've never carried one of those and have only seen one person carrying one and it seemed, to me, to be rather bulky to carry around, especially if you're on a three-hop long haul like East Coast US to Asia. But probably just as annoying if you're on anything more than a direct flight.

Personally I just use a REI Sit Pad which deflates and stores in a small bag about the size of a soda can. It's great if your only need is to not have a sore ... from sitting in concrete hard airline seats for too long. I take mine anytime I have a flight over about 2 hours.

That said, if you need yours for medical reasons, maybe there's someone else with more experience with those specifically... but if you don't there are easier to carry options out there.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

It is due to a specific medical issue relating to a previous back injury. I've asked my physical therapist and the assessment is try-it-and-see at this stage. I'm just keen not make the mistake of carrying unnecessary things, nor - and equally - believing that airline seats will ever be that comfortable! I'm flying long haul, but no connections, so fortunately I have no concerns regarding connecting flights.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Sit Pad - it looks clever, but not quite what I might need in terms of shape and support unfortunately. Thanks very much though!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Copy that... if you're doing it for back reasons, they yeah, the thing you linked sounds more appropriate. That said, if you have an REI near you, get one anyway and try it out. REI has a no-questions-asked return policy in general, so if it doesn't work or you try both and find the angled cushion thing works better, take it back. You're only out the $20+tax while you have it.

And good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.