Rimowa made in Germany

Old Dec 4, 18, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starting over. UA Platinum. Previously UA Global Svc; CO Presidential Platinum; SPG Platinum
Rimowa made in Germany

After a long study- Iíve decided to get the rimowa aluminum.

Bedore the 2018 refresh I recall reading a telling how to make sure your case was made in Germany (as these were superior to the ones from Canada or elsewhere).

First. Is this still a thing (German made Rimowa are preferable)?

If yes, how do I know which I'm getting ?
Old Dec 4, 18, 2:22 pm

Programs: M/M
If you are looking for previous generation RIMOWA, the only lines manufactured in Germany were their Topas lines.

Classic flight, Salsa, Salsa Air, Salsa Deluxe, etc were manufactured in the Czech Republic plant.

There are still many clearance previous generation RIMOWA pieces available in the Frankfurt area.

I picked up a RIMOWA Topas Titanium IATA 32L for Ä561, original MSRP Ä849, last week.
Old Jan 3, 19, 11:25 am

I was just in a Rimowa store yesterday and they told me that all their bags sold in the USA are made in canada.

As to your question on what is preferable, maybe think of it like this. Some Mercedes-Benz models are made in Alabama. Some BMW models are made in South Carolina. If you buy them here, you have no choice. Are they not as good as the German-made ones?
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:26 am

Having toured the RIMOWA factory outside Cologne, Germany, quality is the same in both Canadian and Germany assembly lines.

The same materials, processes and procedures are used in Canada, Germany and the Czech Republic.

Like the previous post, many multi-national companies have plants on both sides of the pond. Quality assurance/quality control remain the same for the end product.

Its a matter of Euros and cents. It is cheaper to manufacture polycarbonate items in the Czech Republic and keep aluminum models manufactured in Canada and Germany. The exception is the Classic (formally Classic Flight) which is now also manufactured in the Czech Republic.

The only exceptions are typically specialty items. Many of the non-luggage items (attaches, make-up kits, and pilot cases) were typically sole-sourced manufactured to the Canada plant.

I have both Canadian and German RIMOWA trolleys and have experienced no added benefit of a trolley coming from Canada or Germany.

But, if I did have a choice, yes, I would prefer the trolley come from the original Cologne plant solely for nostalgic reasons.
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:49 am
Suspended

Could you provide additional info about your research?
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:48 am

What else would you like to know?

Search this Thread