Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Starting over with all new luggage-need advice

Old Dec 2, 18, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

After having some unfortunate failures with well regarded luggage, I've been temporarily using a few cheap quick fix bags. Time to upgrade! I would love some recommendations for my specific needs.
I don't travel for business. I need a smaller rolling bag for my more frequent weekend trips and a large (26" +) for my yearly 2-3 week trips. I've never had a hard sided bag, although I'm possibly open to one. I also need a soft duffel for an upcoming safari trip.
I'm not the lightest packer. I always check my bag, even on short trips. I generally travel coach on short flights, always travel business on overseas flights. I'm hoping to find something that is both functional and attractive.
I've waded through through the advice here, but it does seem mostly geared to business travelers, and those who prefer carry-ons.
Thanks so much.
Old Dec 2, 18, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Luggage, IMO, can be very overpriced on the cost/ value ratio so spending more is not always an upgrade. If you always check your bags you should definitely be looking at hard sided luggage. Have you been to a luggage store? What features do you want/need? Soft duffel-leather or fabric, how large, etc.?
GoRavens likes this.
Old Dec 2, 18, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

I don't think there are luggage stores left in my city. I intend to order online. After dealing with broken wheels and zippers mid trip , I would like something durable but still attractive.
Every hard sided bag seems to get such terrible reviews about being dented and damaged in flight. I guess I don't really understand their appeal, but could be talked into one.
For the safari duffel I think 24" is the standard maximum. As weight is a concern, not leather.
Old Dec 2, 18, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I have a version of this Tumi Tegra-lite and it looks new after 10+ international trips but I mostly use it as a carry on. My $60 large hardside also looks great (it was purchased at Marshalls in San Francisco after the baggage handlers ripped out a zipper in my soft checked suitcase). For your duffel look to Filson, they even make some with wheels. Also, if weight is a concern with your duffel, any great quality non-leather option might have weight issues. Good luck with your search.
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:31 am

Something to consider is the cost of repair/maintenance because bags break. Here's what I mean.

I'm a big fan of Briggs & Riley (B&R). The warranty is great/lifetime and the quality of the bag support the warranty.
However, if you don't live near a B&R repair center or collection point you've got to ship the thing and that gets expensive.
This is probably true of other brands as well and some brands offer much shorter warranties.

However, I happen to live in a town where I can drop-off my bag if a repair is needed (2 or 3 times to repair the zipper pull now at no cost).
If I had to ship this thing to Half Moon Bay, I would still think it's a great bag but not such a great value.

Like you, I always check my luggage and after 20+ years of bouncing around this planet, my small B&R roller is still going strong and I recently acquired the medium duffel; so far so good.

So my point is really - if repair/maintenance costs are low - then I would invest in something for the long term if you expect to travel a lot over the years and not be that bothered by the upfront price - buy the best you can afford.
If not, then look for the best deal of the moment for quality you can live with and replace it when it seems necessary.

I prefer the quality option simply as a matter of insurance. If the bag breaks on the road, I don't want to know what it might cost to repair/replace not only in terms of money but my time/stress.
That said B&R has a good selection of bags and I recommend them but they are pretty expensive.

Ballistic Nylon stands up pretty well but everyone has a different experience/preference.
A great way to review how tough bag materials are is by watching the bags come off a luggage carousel. I see plenty of old looking nylon but so much hard cases.
It's up to you to judge why. It may be that hard cases just always look new or nylon just ages quickly/badly.

I promise I don't work for or benefit from B&R; I'm just a fan.
If you want to check out another B&R fan have a look at Casey Neistat:

Last edited by The_Diamond_Z; Dec 6, 18 at 6:40 am Reason: + casey link
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:58 pm

I agree with a prior poster who pointed out that higher price doesn't always equal higher quality or greater durability. All luggage can get beat up, but soft side luggage may not show it's scars as quickly. I'm mostly a business traveler, so I've long ago stopped caring what my luggage looks like, my priority is to get the stuff inside to my destination and not deal with broken wheels or pull handles.

My wife on the other hand checks a larger bag when we vacation once or twice a year. She thinks luggage is no good once the luggage itself looks "beat up". So... I give up... And I just got her the Amazon basics big 26" spinner. It cost practically nothing (<$100), and value wise, I think it's the best deal going.

They even sell replacement spinner wheels on Amazon in the event one breaks - and being a check in bag, this will undoubtedly happen sooner or later.

Old Dec 7, 18, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z View Post
If you want to check out another B&R fan have a look at Casey Neistat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6bdpR_3HCU
ETTO but apart from the tags on the zipper pulls, he really fkd that bag up - tippex with your address on?! Dodgy spray-paint?!
Old Dec 8, 18, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
ETTO but apart from the tags on the zipper pulls, he really fkd that bag up - tippex with your address on?! Dodgy spray-paint?!
Yeah - but would you steal that bag?

There are a few people who know who Casey is and probably also know his address already but I'd recommend just using a luggage tag.
Over time all the stickers and transport labels you just can't get off help give luggage a unique "patina"

The video is from 2014 and the bag continues to make an appearance from time to time; I always get a kick out of it because I'm pretty sure I have an even earlier model of the same bag.
But then I'm much kinder to my bag.

They (including B&R) just don't make these things the way the use to...
Old Dec 8, 18, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z View Post
Yeah - but would you steal that bag?

There are a few people who know who Casey is and probably also know his address already but I'd recommend just using a luggage tag.
Over time all the stickers and transport labels you just can't get off help give luggage a unique "patina"

The video is from 2014 and the bag continues to make an appearance from time to time; I always get a kick out of it because I'm pretty sure I have an even earlier model of the same bag.
But then I'm much kinder to my bag.

They (including B&R) just don't make these things the way the use to...
Iíd be too embarrassed to use a bag like that but agree re patina - a well-used bag tell its own story and you generally remember where the part-peeled stickers and bumps came from too.

Iíll have to Google him as Iíve no idea who he is but then Iím 47, thatís my excuse
Old Dec 12, 18, 5:50 am
vga

Programs: yes
Weight of leather duffel bags depends on the kind of tanning that is done with it. Recently came to know about the same and ordered a 24inch duffel via High On Leather. Its light and soft as you required. For roll on there various brands you can go for in the market.
Old Dec 16, 18, 7:31 am
Original Poster

After a little more research, I know what I want but and not sure which brand would give me the best quality for the price. Every brand has bad reviews, nothing is as good as it used to be...
My issues with previous luggage have been wheels and zippers breaking, as well as soft sided bags coming out of check in with grease stains that seem to be impossible to remove. I dont mind well worn luggage but that just looks dirty.
So what I want :
two hard sided bags- one for shorter trips, one large one for 2 week plus trips.
lightweight
durable wheels and zippers
sleek/attractive
a moderate to reasonable price point - I dont mind spending a little but definitely not Rimowa Topas prices.
Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 18, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cakegirl View Post
After a little more research, I know what I want but and not sure which brand would give me the best quality for the price. Every brand has bad reviews, nothing is as good as it used to be...
My issues with previous luggage have been wheels and zippers breaking, as well as soft sided bags coming out of check in with grease stains that seem to be impossible to remove. I dont mind well worn luggage but that just looks dirty.
So what I want :
two hard sided bags- one for shorter trips, one large one for 2 week plus trips.
lightweight
durable wheels and zippers
sleek/attractive
a moderate to reasonable price point - I dont mind spending a little but definitely not Rimowa Topas prices.
Thanks!
I can't see your full profile from my smartphone, but if you are based in the U.S. and there is a Bed, Bath & Beyond near you, check their website to see if they carry the brand(s) you ultimately decide upon. If BB&B carries it, you can go to your local BB&B with their ubiquitous 20%-off coupons if that yields a better final price than you can find from other retailers. If your local BB&B does not have your desired item in stock, it can be shipped to your home at no extra charge.
Old Dec 23, 18, 8:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I thought this had an interesting take on hard sided luggage https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-checked-luggage/

For shorter trips/duffel, I use RedOxx (although not the most stylish) https://www.redoxx.com/travel/safari...me-to-a-smile/
Old Dec 25, 18, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
I have used the ebags 21 inch 2 wheeled roll aboard for almost 10 years. same one. check the warranty. I/We never ever check luggage including our trip to Africa 2 years ago. Going again in August 2019, and a month to New Zealand in March, and nope, no checked luggage. Lots of reviews on ebags, and they don't just sell theirs. I have had them completely replace some luggage (not the above) no questions asked. take a look at this. I have been able to put a complete tuxedo, plus a suit, and additional clothing in the wheeled roll aboard noted above. It also has made the ok for boarding with the following carriers...Southwest, AA, UA, Delta, SAS, China Air, Finn Air, Qantas, BA, Vueling...etc etc.

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...uctid=10732553
Old Dec 25, 18, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

I was actually just on E bags looking at some options. I am thinking of ordering the smaller size Delsey Helium Titanium bag. Does anyone have any experience with the brand or line? It is inexpensive but well reviewed and I though I might test it out before I buy a bigger bag.

I know everyone's first instinct here is to be anti checked bag, but I always check and will continue to due to an injury from a bad car accident-dragging luggage is the exact activity that seems to flare it up.

Search this Thread