Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Kid Carry-On with Odd Specifications

Old Nov 25, 18, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am looking for some outside the box thinking.. Currently, when we travel with our kids (ages 3 and 5) we use the Delsey Opti-Max Wheeled Underseat (from Macy's). It works out great for week-long trips, with the occasional spillover into parental bags if we are packing a lot of extras (e.g. beach toys). The wheels and size make it perfect for the kids to haul around the airport themselves, but it also has a trolley sleeve so if there is a meltdown or we're hauling luggage over rough terrain we can combine it with our luggage. The only thing I don't like about the Delsey is that you do loose some space at the top/nose as it is not square, but a little tapered.

With that said, we are doing 12 nights in Europe this spring (will have access to a washer nights 5-9) and would really, really love to do carry-on only size luggage so I don't think the size of the Delsey is going to quite cut it with my husband and I both bringing along smaller luggage (Delsey dimensions: outside: 14.75" x 15" x 8.75", inside: 13.5" x 14.25" x 7.5"). I am having a hard time finding luggage that has both wheels AND a trolley sleeve that is much bigger than what we have now. I don't care if it's a backpack, duffel, or something similar to what we have now, I just want to be able to wheel it and I want to be able to combine it with our carry-on size bags (with the longer handle length I should have more room to play with in the height of the bag). I would like to avoid a strap and clip type system because I never feel like those are totally stable.

I did find that Ricardo seemed to have some options that seemed roomier, but it's always hard to judge based on online dimension. I am hoping that some of you might have some insight into an item or line that I am missing. And if I really can not find anything, what is the possibility of a seamstress (or even a shoe repair??) being able to use rivets or something like those lines to affix a trolley sleeve? This being luggage for kids that we'll probably use for a few years and move onto the next thing (one day they'll be old enough to reliably haul their own luggage around -- regardless of mood or terrain) I am not looking to break the bank. With that said, suggest anything that might fit the bill!
Old Nov 25, 18, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
The samsonite underseater bags are great. They hold a very large amount for their relatively small sizes, they come in small and large. They are pretty light weight, and roll easily on two inline skate type wheels. They also have the luggage sleeve you want. I can go on multi weeks trips with my large one, plus it really isn't large at all.

https://shop.samsonite.com/mothers-d...55478XXXX.html
Old Nov 25, 18, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the link! I definitely feel like I have exhausted the standard under-the-seat options. Some (like the one you have) seem bigger than what we have now, but I wish there was a standardized way to measure the products so I could determine if I'm really getting a lot of extra bang for the proverbial buck in terms of cubic storage increases. I hate to spend a few hundred dollars to be able to pack 2 extra shirts.

I also noticed the Samsonite "stack-it" luggage. But we need another 25" suitcase like we need a hole in the head.

Last edited by kidsbikestravel; Nov 25, 18 at 7:26 am
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kidsbikestravel View Post
Thanks for the link! I definitely feel like I have exhausted the standard under-the-seat options. Some (like the one you have) seem bigger than what we have now, but I wish there was a standardized way to measure the products so I could determine if I'm really getting a lot of extra bang for the proverbial buck in terms of cubic storage increases. I hate to spend a few hundred dollars to be able to pack 2 extra shirts.

I also noticed the Samsonite "stack-it" luggage. But we need another 25" suitcase like we need a hole in the head.

I find my large underseater, as above, holds as much as my 21" spinner carry on. I think the wheels take up less height and the interior space is more usable. I find that seeing cases in real life is so much more helpful than pictures online.
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Yes, agreed -- hands on is the best. Unfortunately I live in a mid-sized city that is a bit of a wasteland for good luggage options.

I took a risk and ordered the Pottery Barn kid's suitcases that have 2 compression type straps across the front. I HOPE that I can flip the suitcase and then use those as trolley straps, plus they could hold a stuffed animal, blanket, or something else like that in a pinch. They are 19" including the wheels, so it will probably be tight over a telescoping handle and it might make the suitcase too top heavy, but I will see.

If those are a bust I will go to one of the suggestions for another under the seat roller bag. I just hate to buy something that is too similar to what I already have, but that might end up being my best bet.

Search this Thread