Wiki Posts
Search

Help Finding: Checked luggage without interior Trolley handle bar obstruction

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Help Finding: Checked luggage without interior Trolley handle bar obstruction

Hi Everyone,

I need help finding a checked luggage hard case around 30" that does not have those bumps or obstruction found in the interior from the trolley handles. I just want a flat space for my belongings. Can anyone please recommend?

Thank you!
Tony
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Not cheap, but check out Briggs and Riley. Lifetime warranty that includes airline damage as well.

They have a Large (28") and Extra Large (31") in two wheel and spinner w/ exterior handles. Also there is a large upright duffel as well.

Recommend not go above 28" if you can avoid it, or even stay at around 26", as if you're good at packing you will go way over most airlines max weight with a 30" model.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a good reason almost all suitcases have that internal obstruction. You're limited by the outer dimensions. The bar is going to take up the same amount of depth whether it's inside or outside, but when it's inside you at least get to fit some things around it (and we actually take advantage of it--long, thin things are better protected when they're next to those metal bars) rather than have the same volume on the outside where it holds nothing but air.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Independent
I don't think there is a true physical way to completely avoid any interior space being taken up with the handle. There was one soft side bag that had the handle pushed all the way out to the edges, but then that meant you couldn't carry anything on top. So, in my search anyways, I ended up looking for what took up the least amount of space, and if you needed absolutely flat, use a thin piece of plastic board to lay over it.

I use the carry-on size, but look at the Aleon line. Not cheap, not lightweight, but they seem to give you the best amount of interior space. The handle sits flat against the bottom and the corners are pretty sharp, so you gain a little extra room there.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:20 pm

If you aren't looking to spend a lot for good quality then the popular low end IT-Zero "World's Lightest" bags from Landor-Hawa are not actually that bad a choice. They have a trolley roller frame that goes in the corners which gives you a nice large flat area to pack inside. The downside is that the handle is too wide to hang anything on -- that and the bags themselves are flimsy and cheap. But mine has done a surprising number of trips including being dragged up and down a lot of rough roads and is still going strong. I only have the carry-on model but it's been checked a few times. They're super popular in Ireland as they're inexpensive and let you make the most of the Ryanair luggage limits....
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by brp1264
Not cheap, but check out Briggs and Riley. Lifetime warranty that includes airline damage as well.

They have a Large (28") and Extra Large (31") in two wheel and spinner w/ exterior handles. Also there is a large upright duffel as well.

Recommend not go above 28" if you can avoid it, or even stay at around 26", as if you're good at packing you will go way over most airlines max weight with a 30" model.
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I don't think there is a true physical way to completely avoid any interior space being taken up with the handle. There was one soft side bag that had the handle pushed all the way out to the edges, but then that meant you couldn't carry anything on top. So, in my search anyways, I ended up looking for what took up the least amount of space, and if you needed absolutely flat, use a thin piece of plastic board to lay over it.

I use the carry-on size, but look at the Aleon line. Not cheap, not lightweight, but they seem to give you the best amount of interior space. The handle sits flat against the bottom and the corners are pretty sharp, so you gain a little extra room there.
All Briggs and Riley rollers that I have seen (I have 4 or 5 myself) have the handle components outside the bag. They are in the normal place they would be,, just outside rather than inside the bag.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
All Briggs and Riley rollers that I have seen (I have 4 or 5 myself) have the handle components outside the bag. They are in the normal place they would be,, just outside rather than inside the bag.
But, to make up for that the bag itself is shallower. You have a given box to work with the handle has to go somewhere. The trick is to find one that uses the least amount of space to do it. OI believe the Delsey titanium 29" has the handles pretty flush to the bottom.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Cloudship
But, to make up for that the bag itself is shallower. You have a given box to work with the handle has to go somewhere. The trick is to find one that uses the least amount of space to do it. OI believe the Delsey titanium 29" has the handles pretty flush to the bottom.
The OP said they wanted a flat space. The B&R rollers have a flat packing space.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:56 pm

There are also some packing cubes which can fit between the internal bars to help make a flat surface. Ikea's are probably the shallowest I've seen https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10328177/ You could fill them with spare socks and add some stick on hook & loop tape to the back of the cube & bag lining to keep it in place. Eagle Creek makes a few which are longer and a bit deeper.
Some cut up closed cell foam (ie inexpensive camp mat) would probably also do the trick and be a bit lighter. You could probably tape or glue that inside the bag lining right to the luggage wall by unzipping the lining.

I prefer to utilize all the space in the bag but people have different packing needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.