Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How is it to close the Rimowa Topas with latches when packing very full vs zipper

How is it to close the Rimowa Topas with latches when packing very full vs zipper

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

I am considering the limbo or the salsa but all depends on closing for a carry on
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

I thought I would get more feedback
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:18 am

I would answer but not sure what you are asking.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deputy1234
I would answer but not sure what you are asking.
The question is if I pack the back like its about to explode with clothes will I manage to close the latched one as you can always squeeze much in a zippered one
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:26 am

I've only packed my Rimowa Topas 34L carry on full once. I had too push down the case to get the latches to close. It was allot more difficult then normal (normally I pack light). However, I find the latch system is easier to close in normal capacities . My preference is the latch system over the zipper.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by andpgud
The question is if I pack the back like its about to explode with clothes will I manage to close the latched one as you can always squeeze much in a zippered one
With the latches, suitcase alignment and making sure everything is stuffed in fully prior to closing and latching becomes more critical than with the zipper close luggage. But with the latch luggage, once its closed, its more securely closed than the zipper suitcases. With latch luggage, I am more often kneeing the suitcase to close it than zipper luggage, but thats probably more an issue of dimensional differences when closed or of the trip nature than of there being a real problem with latch luggage.

The latch luggage does seem to fit in a little less luggage than the zipper ones and pose some more challenge with shoes or bulky cloth items (such as a coat) at times, but even then I prefer the latch system to zipper system for Rimowa bags.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I have been thinking about this because I am thinking about a rimowa essential vs rimowa hybrid.
The hybrid one is heavier but has the aluminium corners which I like. Also it has the latches.
The Essential is ligther but has a zipper
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

No more input?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:44 pm

I have been thinking about this because I am thinking about a rimowa essential vs rimowa hybrid.
The hybrid one is heavier but has the aluminium corners which I like. Also it has the latches.
Which did you end up choosing? I'm having the same dilemma now.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:58 am

I have a latch 32L carry onRimowa. You need to ensure that alignment is correct if you try to force closure. If you bend the hinge, you won't be able to close the case.

Hence I often use compression sacks to ensure my clothes fit well. I also carry shoes which can be compressed flat. I think if you know that you might be overpacking often, a hardcase is probably not the way to go.

I also carry a compressible duffle bag in my suitcase in the event I bought too many items
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:23 pm
dft

The Hybrid is heavier - but it does also have more capacity (if you look at the Check In M for example).

So it really depends on.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
It’s easier with the zipper but when my Topas is stuffed I find it easier to set it on its spine and squeeze to close while keeping it aligned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.