FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Why do so many 'carry on' bags exceed 22x14x9 just barely? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1935993-why-do-so-many-carry-bags-exceed-22x14x9-just-barely.html)

davie355 Oct 16, 2018 11:23 pm

Why do so many 'carry on' bags exceed 22x14x9 just barely?

I'm sick of finding bags marketed as "carry on" or even "international carry on" (smaller!) but dimensions still exceed the common 22x14x9 limit.

Example: https://www.ebags.com/product/travel...spinner/322928
Contrary to the first line of ebags description of this spinner it does NOT fit the guidelines of "most" airlines, it is too wide for American, United, or Delta airlines because it is 15.5" wide. I found this out the hard way since I got an extremely(!) detail oriented gate agent.
I guess I'm ranting more than anything but how hard is it for bag makers to keep to 22x14x9?! What's the purpose of making a 23x14x9 bag? If I need to check it then it may as well be as large as possible!

garykung Oct 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Take a look with the same website again. eBag actually mentions different airlines have different requirements:

https://www.ebags.com/buyingguides/l...n-luggage-size

Because airlines use different aircrafts, bin size varies. That's why some are more restrictive and some are not.

For example, since WN only uses B737s, it has a relatively larger carry-on size limit.

gengar Oct 17, 2018 1:35 am

Note also that some airlines' sizers may actually be larger than the dimensions in the published rules; for example, UA sizer is actually 23"x15"x10", as discussed here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...forcement.html

chipmaster Oct 17, 2018 6:19 am

Probably just me, but I rarely see GA forcing sizing, yes it happens once in a blue moon.

Now when sizing up luggage how important is "space" Not sure if anyone can see an 1", but I know I did a recent run off between to high end brands, and I picked the bigger one. Now do you think luggage manufactures know that packing space is important or not, can they afford to fit the smallest sizer and be known to "fits" but "carrys less" What makes more sales?

brp1264 Oct 17, 2018 2:20 pm

I've very rarely seen US based airlines give you an issue about the actual size. The exception are on the small commuter jets or if you're boarding late in the flight and there's no bin space left.

International flights are a bit more strict on it, but then if you have a large roller bag, the weight is also an issue.

If you really want a bag that can hold a lot and actually fits the sizing requirements, get a tough soft-sided bag that you carry on your bag or shoulder. Red Oxx's Air Boss or Sky Train and Tom Bihn's Tristar/Western Flyer or Aeronaut are good options to start looking at.

NeilA Oct 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by brp1264 (Post 30325944)
I've very rarely seen US based airlines give you an issue about the actual size. The exception are on the small commuter jets or if you're boarding late in the flight and there's no bin space left.

International flights are a bit more strict on it, but then if you have a large roller bag, the weight is also an issue.

If you really want a bag that can hold a lot and actually fits the sizing requirements, get a tough soft-sided bag that you carry on your bag or shoulder. Red Oxx's Air Boss or Sky Train and Tom Bihn's Tristar/Western Flyer or Aeronaut are good options to start looking at.

Yes this^. When I travel to Europe with only carry on for a five day trip and don’t want to take any chances, I use my Air Boss. Biggest problem with wheels is weight, I’ve seen Luftansa weigh carry on’s, never seen anyone with a Air Boss type bag get weighed or measured.

One concept that I read about here is using a sturdy under seat bag with wheels combined with the Air Boss. Use the wheeled under seat bag as a dolly for the Air Boss. I will look into it when I get a chance- May be a great combo.

67L48 Oct 23, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm shopping for a carry-on spinner and coming to the same conclusion. Who are these buffoons who give sizes of just the case? Why would I care that a bag is 21" without the wheels? Do the wheels disconnect when I try to stow the bag? Oh, well it's 23.75" with the wheels ... so, then it's not a carry-on! It absolutely blows my mind.

TravelPro launches its new Platinum Elite line. It has a 21" bag and a smaller 20" spinner that is 22.5" tall and 14.5" wide. That doesn't meet anyone's definition, which generally range between 20-22" tall. Honestly, who does this? Oh, but they have an International version that gets down to 21.75" ... but is 15.75" wide! Same with the Crew 11. The only carry on to get under 22" is the International version which is 15.5" wide. Seriously, did TravelPro staff just stop paying attention to airline regs 5 years ago or something? I like its luggage. I want to buy one. None of its carry on spinners actually meet carry on restrictions. ...!? I think the discontinued Platinum Magna 2 may have a bag the actually fits.

The new Samsonite Armage 19 has reported 21.7 x 14 x 9 exterior dimensions, including wheels. So, that could be an option, though I'd like it to be about an inch shorter. Where are the 21 x 14 x 9 spinners that are really 21 x 14 x9?!

N1120A Oct 23, 2018 10:31 pm

1) The problem with some bags is that the bag makers measure the bag without counting the handle and wheels. That's important.

2) You are usually better off with something like the Air Boss/Sky Train/Argonaut when abroad. If you can carry it, they usually think it is light enough.

tcl Oct 24, 2018 6:13 am

Originally Posted by NeilA (Post 30327149)

One concept that I read about here is using a sturdy under seat bag with wheels combined with the Air Boss. Use the wheeled under seat bag as a dolly for the Air Boss. I will look into it when I get a chance- May be a great combo.

A word of caution, 4-wheeled bags tend to tip over if your piggy-back bag is of the floppy type and the weight isn't balanced just-so. 2-wheeled bags are better for this method of carrying.

fisggyativa Oct 24, 2018 2:09 pm

The handles and wheels on my carry-ons put them just over the (carry-on) size limits, and I have never been asked to gate check. I think there is a bit of paranoia here.

FlyingHighlander Oct 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by NeilA (Post 30327149)

I'd be interested if such a legal combo exists. Wouldn't the type of under seat bag likely be bigger than permitted personal item dimensions? E.g. UA personal item is 17x10x9" - do wheeled bags come that small, and if so, could the reasonably serve as a dolly for an Air Boss?

N1120A Oct 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 30351911)
I'd be interested if such a legal combo exists. Wouldn't the type of under seat bag likely be bigger than permitted personal item dimensions? E.g. UA personal item is 17x10x9" - do wheeled bags come that small, and if so, could the reasonably serve as a dolly for an Air Boss?

I've seen lots of wheeled briefcases. Just head down to your local courthouse one day and you'll see lots. The issue with dollying the Air Boss with them is that the Air Boss doesn't have a strap or pocket made for that, so you are juryrigging it. Some of the Red Oxx duffels, however, do have a small pocket that doubles as a a wheeled bag strap and would be great for such an application.

FlyingHighlander Oct 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks. I'll need to spend more time looking. I did have a very quick look at Ebags "under seat" category and didnt see any wheeled bags small enough to meet personal item requirements.

tjl Oct 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Problem is, wheel hardware adds weight, consumes space, and sticks out.

A non-wheeled bag or backpack would not have those issues, and could more easily squish into a sizer or overhead bin if it is at the margins of what can fit there. Also, airline employees may be less prone to strictness with bag size or weight rules if you are carrying the bag instead of rolling it.

FlyingHighlander Oct 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by tjl (Post 30356802)
Problem is, wheel hardware adds weight, consumes space, and sticks out.

A non-wheeled bag or backpack would not have those issues, and could more easily squish into a sizer or overhead bin if it is at the margins of what can fit there. Also, airline employees may be less prone to strictness with bag size or weight rules if you are carrying the bag instead of rolling it.

See the previous posts. We were talking in the context of carrying a full non-wheeled carry on size soft sided bag to go overhead, but using a much smaller (personal size max) wheeled bag to use as a dolly to move the non-wheeled bag around.