Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why do so many 'carry on' bags exceed 22x14x9 just barely?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do so many 'carry on' bags exceed 22x14x9 just barely?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:55 pm

Do they actually check it that much?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by NeilA
One concept that I read about here is using a sturdy under seat bag with wheels combined with the Air Boss. Use the wheeled under seat bag as a dolly for the Air Boss. I will look into it when I get a chance- May be a great combo.
I got Eagle Creek's Adventure Tote (2-wheel) for the purpose of having a place to put my Tumi Luke Roll backpack when on short trips. It seems to have been discontinued but is still available from resellers, e.g. here:
Amazon Amazon

As a bonus, it has an add-a-bag strap so can go on top of a larger bag as well.

On the original review page on the Eagle Creek webpage for the product (which no longer exists), I recall that several reviewers mentioned being easily able to fit the bag under the seat.

Stated dimensions are 7 x 13 x 14 which is slightly taller than the actual dimensions of the UA personal item sizer of 9"x11"x18".
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:28 pm

Underseat "totes" with handbag straps & two wheels tend to require a bit of extra attention to flip the straps towards the front of the bag so it doesn't drag on the floor when tilted. It might look like a tote to a busy gate/flight attendant but is kind of annoying when wheeling through the airport if you're accessing the main compartment & have to re-do the straps often.

There are a few new spinner under seat bags which might work for two-bag piggyback if you don't mind the lost packing volume with the spinner setup. I've been eyeing the Samsonite Flexis Underseat spinner since the depth is shallow enough to possibly fit under middle-aged seats with IFE under the seat.

This is my favorite post for 1 large soft + 1 wheeled personal item (En)lightened Travel: Micro-Mover - Mega Effect
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I find it annoying too that so many manufacturers misrepresent the size of their bags. I guess most buyers don't know enough to know what they're buying, and then there are plenty of buyers who figure it's not common to get gate-checked so why worry about it. I've seen enough gate-checking (and heard enough about bad experiences from other PAX) that not too long ago I decided to pick up the Travelpro Crew 11 20" bag (actual wheels and handle dimensions 21. 5x14.5x9) so I wouldn't have to worry about getting gate-checked (that extra half inch of width doesn't concern me because it's the squishy external computer pocket that easily collapses when not full to easily fit any sizer).

I'm finding that I love the bag -- it's relatively light, rolls great even over bad surfaces, seems very solid -- and I don't miss the difference in what I can get in vs. my older 22" B&R which is actually 23.5" high (non compression bag). If it's a short trip I still have plenty of space. If it's a long trip then I have a checked bag anyway. All in all I'm finding that I really enjoy not having to worry about getting gate-checked (there were a couple of times in the past I almost got nailed) and knowing it will fit in all non-commuter overheads without ever having to go sideways. I looked long and hard before I decided on going with the Travelpro Crew 11 20" -- There weren't that many viable choices which is frustrating. Got a very good deal at Ebags.

Last edited by BLG; Oct 31, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by BLG
I looked long and hard before I decided on going with the Travelpro Crew 11 20" -- There weren't that many viable choices which is frustrating. Got a very good deal at Ebags.
what did you pay for it on ebags?
I see its $153 today.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:48 am
BLG

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
what did you pay for it on ebags?
I see its $153 today.
I got it for about $120...It was the Labor Day sale plus a coupon on the site...They'll probably do the same thing again for Black Friday if you want to try to save a few bucks...If you sign up for their emails you'll get some coupons right now.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by BLG
I got it for about $120...It was the Labor Day sale plus a coupon on the site...They'll probably do the same thing again for Black Friday if you want to try to save a few bucks...If you sign up for their emails you'll get some coupons right now.
Thanks. I do get their emails- I'll start paying attention to them. I currently use the Travelpro Maxlite 4 "International Size" without issue, but my wife needs a similar bag.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:34 am
BLG

Thanks. I do get their emails- I'll start paying attention to them. I currently use the Travelpro Maxlite 4 "International Size" without issue, but my wife needs a similar bag.
It's a little heavier than the Maxlite bags (and sturdier) but in a bag that small the weight doesn't amount to enough to matter IMO. We have two of the Maxlite 5 26" bags and love them for how light they are for checked luggage.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:12 pm
BLG

Huh, I just saw one of their adds on a screen I was on and the bag is $130.89 now...you might be able to add a coupon as well...

https://www.ebags.com/hproduct/trave...SABEgI6cfD_BwE
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by BLG
Huh, I just saw one of their adds on a screen I was on and the bag is $130.89 now...you might be able to add a coupon as well...

https://www.ebags.com/hproduct/trave...SABEgI6cfD_BwE
My mistake. I was looking at the 4-wheeled 21" ($153) version of it. The OP indeed was talking about the 2-wheeled 20" ($130).

I'd prefer a 4 wheeled spinner.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by BLG
I've seen enough gate-checking (and heard enough about bad experiences from other PAX) that not too long ago I decided to pick up the Travelpro Crew 11 20" bag (actual wheels and handle dimensions 21. 5x14.5x9) so I wouldn't have to worry about getting gate-checked (that extra half inch of width doesn't concern me because it's the squishy external computer pocket that easily collapses when not full to easily fit any sizer).
I made a similar choice a few years ago when I was doing regular contract work in Europe where gate checks seem more common. I went with the B&R U119CX and never had a problem with it.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:14 am

I got a similar B&R bag. It's about the same size as the one Badenoch got, but slightly lighter.
https://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/co...upright-bu220x
No problems.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:49 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I made a similar choice a few years ago when I was doing regular contract work in Europe where gate checks seem more common. I went with the B&R U119CX and never had a problem with it.
That's a great bag! If I was having to fly a lot of European commuter flights I'd probably buy that bag for the compression. Not needing it I was happy to save the money because the Travelpro meets my needs but I also love B&R bags and still use my 22" when flying WN where it's a non issue.

The Explore Expandable is an interesting bag as well -- doubt that the 10" depth will ever be an issue -- my experience is that height is what catches the eyes of those looking to check bags and if your bag is obviously shorter than "normal" they don't notice it unless it's really "fat" and clearly oversized.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:38 am

I have a Travelpro Platinum Magna 2 21” spinner. To date I’ve only used it on domestic flights in first class and never had a problem with the size or weight. I’m heading to Europe in February. I’m in business class so thought it wouldn’t be a problem but one of my return flights is a short one from Nice to Paris on AF. It’s European Business class which I’ve learned is just an empty seat. I hear they are more strict and I wouldn’t mind it being gate checked but I read somewhere you need to pick it up at baggage claim which would not be ideal as I’m connecting to a flight to ATL.

I checked into the Maxlite International but it still doesn’t meet the AF requirements and it really seems silly to buy an additional bag for a one hour flight, especially if it’s so difficult to find an acceptable size.

I do check a bag but you never know so I like a carry on with a change of clothes and all my electronics and such.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: United, American
Travel Pro Crew Expert Global = full outside size is 21.5in W: 14.0in D: 9.0in

This should work most places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.